pain in the heel and up the calf

Posted , 3 users are following.

All through the winter i wore heeled boots, only a small heel then about a month ago i started wearing flat "dolly" shoes again, after about a week of wearing flat shoes i woke uP and couldnt walk properly due to pain in my calfs so i went back to wearing boots and just occasionaly wearing dolly shoes. Sunday i went for a walk with my friend but i wore flat sandals ended up walking about 3 miles. Monday morning i got out of bed and nearly fell due to pain in my heel which i couldnt feel untill i out my weight on it, i found it painfull to walk on the rest of the day and today (tuesday) its became worse and the pain has travelled up my calf, similar feeling towhat i felt amonth before, which is becoming worse as the day goes on. Anyone had anything similar as im not sure what it is and any suggestions what to do.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Healthy123.  You have described just the same scenario that I experienced when I first got PF.  For a few weeks I was wearing small heeled shoes then the summer came along and I opted for flat sandals from Next which were really comfortable to begin with but they didn't really give my insole support and as I said they were flat. I walked for miles with them on and even when my foot was aching going from one shop to another I carried on because I knew that by the next morning I would be fine.  Looking back, what I should've done was to stop the minute my foot ached and rested it, then when getting home I should've put that foot in warm water and give them a good rub. Because I didn't do this I now have PF in that foot (for 2 years now) and wearing an aircast which isn't the most attractive thing and God knows what I'm going to do this summer.  If I was you I would rest your feet as much as possible, take paracetamol and try to keep your weight off them as much as possible to give them a chance to recover. If that doesn't work then go to the doctor to double check that it is PF or foot spur and do whatever exercise he tells you to do that might help.

I do wish you luck as PF isn't a condition that is taken seriously by the medical profession and we sufferers just have to put up with it.

• Posted

Thankyou very much for your help AnnB, much appreciaed will definately try keep weight off it untill it eases thanks again
  • Posted

Go online and check out the excersises for PF, they can help if that's what you have. My GP sent me for an ultra sound which confirmed that's what it was, then sent me for physio, lady gave me some insoles, which did help. Last year I bought a new pair of Scholl sandles, the type with a soft insole, took some getting used to but they helped so much I bought a pair of their slippers to wear round the house.
    • Posted

Ok thanks very much for your help going to keep it rested andnif it doesnt get any easier i will see my GP, change of shoes aswell. Thanks again
    • Posted

Meant to say thin flat shoes for walking long periods are a no no, I was expecting the physiotherapist to say only shoes or sandals with ankle straps but she said no flip flops but study soles and straps to the middle of the foot are fine.
    • Posted

Ok thanks so much for your help i seemed to think actual flip flops rather than strapped sandles were better on my foot, obviously not so will keep away from them for a while also. Also going to check out exercises for PF .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.