Pain in the left side just under ribs, hard and swollen

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, 

Hopefully someone has experienced something similar or could give me some ideas what it may be (I am waiting for a Dr's appointment but won't be able to see them till next week).

Firstly: I had cdiff twice (first back in September 2015 then again January 2016) ever since, I've had 5-7 bouts of loose stools daily, really bad tummy pain and chills. Normally my tummy pain is around the middle of my stomach, I mean I don't tend to have a specific area that hurts most but it's like a sharp irritating pain.

However, over the passed two days just under my left rib has been swollen and sore to touch, even if I just press on it slightly it hurts. It feels hard too. Can anyone think what this may be? It hurts when I cough or anything that makes me use stomach muscles. 

Any ideas to relieve the pain until I see someone?

Thanks for taking time to listen :-)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Have you had any tests done, abdominal ultrasound, any other blood tests, scans? I have the same exact pain... 2 CTs nothing, ultrasounds nothing, MRI shows a stone in gallbladder.

Has your diarrhea been light in color? Have you had any gas, and when you had diarrhea did you have abdominal pain on specific side, left right? I was told it may be colon related... Do you have urge to have a bowel movement after eating, in the morning? All these questions can help get some direction.

• Posted

Hi, I had a colonic transit study last week along with an xray, I've not got the results yet. I'm also going for a sigmoidoscopy on the 20th. I've had blood tests due to the frequent infections I've had, most recent have came back clear.

Yeah my diarrhoea is light in colour, I wouldn't say I had too much gas, bit at times I'm getting sharp pains and I'm assuming it's trapped wind. When I have bowel movements I don't tend to have any tummy pains, like I said it's only when I strain my abdomen that my left side hurts. I take codine phosphate to constipate me a little so I don't have as much diarrhoea (I was previously having up to 15 bouts per day), but I do still have the urge to go in the morning. I only have the urge to go after I eat when I'm off my tablets, otherwise I'm okay.

• Posted

maybe you have either bruised or broken your rib. I would get a Dr to check and maybe xray.
    • Posted

Perhaps but I haven't had any sort of injury to my ribs in the last couple of days from when the pain started.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.