Pain in the neck, is a pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had a pain in my neck and shoulder on my right side for several weeks now and there has been no relief from anything I've been prescribed or bought over the counter from pills to rubs creams sprays,

It's making me feel really grumpy as it is there all the time,

I suffer from sever vertigo from time to time which makes me very sick for days, having this in the back of my mind I'm hoping my neck does not trigger another attack

Does anyone have any ideas to relieve this pain

I have not injured my neck I just woke up with it a few weeks ago 😁

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leona.

I have same problem, I have neck pain and shoulder pain that goes right the way down to my elbows and when i first wake up it is even in my fingers!! I have this on both sides and this has started since my vertigo first started 6months ago. I am awaiting xray results from xray done on my neck. Sounds pretty much the same as you have. I was prescribed co codamol but the have made me feel very unwell so just taking paracetamol at present, like you does nothing. All this has totally put my life on hold. What does your GP say it is?

Hope you soon feel much better. X

• Posted

Sounds like what ive been suffering from for a year having acupuncture and the cream i find useful to take the edge off its called biofreeze .
  • Posted

You have probably got a muscle spasm thing going on. I often wake up,with it, and then just doing every day tasks aggravates and makes it worse.  You need to,do some exercises,to,relieve the muscle.  some simple,ones are just to sit (this is from my physio at hospital) upright, turn your head to the left, bring your right arm up onto your head with hand touching left ear, and pull gently with hand to the right, keeping your face facing forward as you do It with your chin slightly pulled in.  you will feel,it! Do the same the other side.  some times it is another muscle that's triggering it too, so get a tennis ball, stand against the wall, put the ball around the should blade edge (like where your spine is, but not on the spine),  move your body up and down as you feel the ball pressing in, if you hit he right spot it will hurt, but a good hurt. 
  • Posted

I suggest you get an appointment with a cranio sacral pyshiotherapist and also try and find an Alexander technique teacher. I have had neck and shoulder pain off and on for years and wish I'd discovered the relief that cranio sacral physiotherapy can bring. Alexander technique is something that, once taught, you can use at home every day and it is enormously beneficial.  Good luck. Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.