Pain in the same place

Posted , 5 users are following.

Details: LTKR on March 6, 2018. I had bone on bone osteoarthritis in this knee for about 2 years prior to replacement

My swelling/pain is getting a bit better each day, but just now I realized that the pain is in the EXACT same place that it used to hurt before the TKR; the place where my joint was bone on bone, no meniscus there at all. 

Now.... I know that I have a brand new knee joint (at least that's what I paid for! biggrin) Why does it still hurt in the same place? Is my body just used to hurting there?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

chele

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Interesting question. TKR hardware. The brand? Are we (TKR) patients supposed to know? I guess we are. I am looking forward, in the not too distant future to a revision (removal of the infected TKR and insertion of a new implant) Perhaps I may keep the infected hardware as a souvenir. I'll let you know. Keep on with you heel-slide and low impact exercises (swimming, water walking etc)  Best regards Bangkok-Johnnie    

• Posted

I’m 3 months post op left TKR and I also had some of the gnawing arthritis pain early on and wondered what was going on.  Physio said it much like phantom limb and the nerves need to learn they are not aggravated anymore and sure enough it is now gone!

Good luck, mine is just starting to feel like it is a part of me and now the other is acting up!! 

• Posted

I feel like the operative leg doesn’t belong to my body, I am 7 weeks post op. One side of my leg is numb, I hope it is just part of the healing process.
    • Posted

When I had meniscus surgery a few years back, I had residual numbness around my incision site for about a year. I used to threaten to poke myself with sewing needles to prove my point... but my friends wouldn't let me! The feeling gradually came back, and then I was no longer a sideshow :-)

• Posted

Hi. I had a right medial partial knee replacement on 6th March 2018. I too have pain all over the knee but especially on the inside where the mechanical joint is. It was the same bone on bone with torn meniscus for over a year. I had exactly the same operation on the right knee in June last year so knew what to expect (although hoped for less pain😏wink. So, I know that it does disappear eventually, although there are still times on the old new knee that I can feel pain on the inside.

I don't think it is phantom pain, more likely the nerves and insides all healing.

Good luck with your recovery it is interesting to compare a partial to a total done on the same day! I am in the UK by the way. Came home after 2 days I can get almost straight leg still lots of swelling and bruising but my bend as measured by the physio on Friday was 65 degrees. Still need strong pain medication (Tramadol 4 times a day) and using 2 crutches. This time however I am sleeping better, stayed asleep for 4 hours last night whereas last time could only get up to 2 hours.

Its still very early for both of us. 

• Posted

My sleep is ALL messed up. I'll have a couple good nights in a row, then one like last night, where I was awake every two hours. Ugh. I know that it's all a process, and a lesson in patience, eh?

I'm in the US (Minneapolis)... can hardly wait til ALL the snow melts and I can practice walking around outside! Good luck with your recovery too. Take care! 

• Posted

is it really that helpful to walk??  i haven't done much of that.  I had my tkr Jan 31.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.