Pain in thigh muscle after knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement on my right knee November 22, 2017. I have been getting pain right above my knee when I get out of my recliner. I also get pain in the same place when I do the sit to stand exercises. How long will the pain in my thigh muscle last? Is that normal? I had a total knee replacement in my left knee a few years ago. I don't think I had pain in my thigh muscle with my left knee. I guess each knee surgery is different.

I'm still having trouble with stairs. It hurts more going down stairs. I'm still working on going up and down the stairs normally. I still use one foot at a time.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The surgery is brutal. You sound like you're doing quite well considering what you've been through. See a physio for some massage or exercises. See your GP if you're worried. Sounds pretty normal. I had pain all over my lower body for many months. Good luck.

• Posted

I had my right knee replaced the day before you did. I am experiencing the same thing with mine plus pain in the upper calf. I was doing quite well up until a week ago with flex at 120 and extention at 3 then I started having more pain in behind the knee and I went to 110 and 9. Still doing exercises at home plus going for pt. From what I've seen on here it seems it's normal to still have pain at this point as well as setbacks. I'm hoping my setback isn't permanent as I'm due back at work March 19. Right now I am like you and unable to go down stairs and will not be able to work until I can.

Good luck with your recovery. Hopefully you and I will turn a corner soon and get back to a life without knee pain holding us down.

• Posted

All quite normal I'm afraid!

You had a major, brutal, operation. As well as working your new joint you are still trying to heal internally. Your flesh, muscles & bones have been cut about. That all needs to heal too. There is no timescale to TKR recovery, you are better when you are better!

You are really still early in recovery. Try to be patient & let your leg heal. It can be difficult to determine whether the pain is from the joint, the operation or soft tissue or even scar tissue!

It may be that you have some scar tissue holding you back & causing tightness & pain? Perhaps try a local sports injury masseur & see if that helps in any way. 

Maybe try warmth, see if that helps or step up the icing, see if that helps. It's a bit trial & error m afraid. If all else fails speak to your doctor. 

I hear you on the stairs, I can go up fairly easily but coming down is difficult! We will do this! Keep the faith, we'll get there.

Hope you sort it soon.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi Patty-Cake, I had my R- knee replacement on the 20th Oct 2017.  It's been going well, but stupid me, did a bit too much pruning in the garden a few days ago, now I have what may be a torn or pulled muscle right at the top  of my thigh near my groin.... I don't believe it's my hip as a friend suggested, it does feel muscular.....  I was doing so well I thought, the surgeon also said this.  What else could it be but a muscle, and do they take long to heal?  Not expecting you to know, but just hoping to work it out.. My leg is still swollen 'a bit', but I've read that it can take up to 12mths to really go down to normal. Otherwise I'm fine, just this muscular pain now. Any idea???

• Posted

Hi Annie, could be a muscle strain or pull, I hope it isn't a tear as that can take a while to get better.

If it is just a pulled muscle try putting ice on it & unfortunately rest it a couple of days. Then see how it is. If it's fairly minor it will feel a bit better after a few days. 

If no better after the weekend maybe see your GP & get it I checked out.

I famously pulled a calf muscle in an aerobics class in the 90s & had to limp off & get some ice on it! I wasn't out of action long , it improved quite quickly.

Something like tendonitis however can take a good while to improve.

Ice, rest & reassess after the weekend.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

You're a Darling Patty-Cake, I think it must be a pull or a bit of a strain, as it's improving already, but I can see it will take about a week or more.  I have to realize I'm not as young as I used to be, I'm so used to being 'on the move' all the time.  I don't seem to need much sleep either, all part of 'maturity' they tell me..  Thanks again for your reply.

• Posted

Patty-Cake, I also had a knee replacement.  It was in October 2016.  I had pain similar to yours where going up and down stairs was painful to the front-lower-thigh - especially going down the stairs.  It it got much better after about a year and then, recently, I started having more down-stairs pain than ever.  I always watch my weight and do non-impact exercise and have no idea why my pain has continued to increase of late.
  • Posted

ok i am 36 i had my first knee replacement oct 22 2017 and had to have a revision oct 2 2018 a

for loosing and here we are its been year and 4 months and its loose again.... i am having terrible thigh bone pain. waiting on Doctor to decide how he wants to go about treating my loose knee replacement again. Is the bone pain spouse to hurt so bad or is that a sign of the loosing? I had a bone scan shows really bad loosing. help i have to have a another surgery at 36 years old. ******

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.