Pain in thighs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been recently been diagnosed with PMR for which I am taking Medrol 16mg,

which is not help with all of my symptoms.

I have thigh pain that can get worse when walking, but can also go away when walking.

I would appreciate it if people with similar

thigh/leg pain would reply and describe

their symptoms, in detail.

Thanks, Ron

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had horrible pain in thighs, legs, shoulders neck head. Prednisone was the only answer for me.

• Posted

I had very bad thigh pain but mine came on as soon as I started doing anything using my legs. It improved dramatically once I was on pred. My thigh muscle pain was typical claudication pain - started on exercise and stopped as soon as I stopped and returned when I started again. I also have trochanteric bursitis - and that pain is different. It is a persistant ache down the outside of my thigh - and exercise makes it worse if I do too much, a long walk for example or walking up a lot of steps.

It is possible you need 20mg as a starting dose - the 2015 Recommendations say the lowest effective dose in the range 12.5-25mg prednisolone - about the same dose of methyl prednisolone (Medrol). I also found it was a few months before the bursitis and tenosynovitis pain resolved but it did go eventually.

• Posted

I had the same symptoms and very nasty they were. Pred improved them a great deal but it took time for full relief to kick in. I find walking is the best exercise to keep muscle tone, stopping when it hurts. I was on 20mgs for a couple of months before starting a slow taper. I hope all goes well with you

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I took 20mg last night and feel a lot better. I know I need a slow taper but my rheumy is of the opinion that I should get off the steroids as soon as possible.

I have scheduled an appointment with a new rheumy in a few months (earliest appt.I could

get). I don't quite understand why some of these doctors don't understand the amount of suffering we go through.

• Posted

For some reason these goofs are more concerned with side effects of PRED than the absolutely debilitating effects of PMR.

i had to push back and am now almost pain free. quality if life jumped 300%

Drive your own treatment. No MTX.

• Posted

Couldn't agree more. I have explained to quite few doctors that we really are far less bothered about the possible long term effects of pred that MIGHT happen and MIGHT possibly pose problems 15 years down the line compared with the disability and pain we suffer now which will almost certainly lead to weight gain, depression, diabetes, osteoporosis and so on in the near future. N point living to 90 if you wish every day you were dead now. And THEN they look at you with a slightly different expression.

What always beats me is why they bother making the PMR diagnosis in the first place if they are then going to force the patient to stop taking the one drug that has any effect!

• Posted

Right on brother. I am pushing back but the fight is infuriating and exhausting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.