Pain in upper back

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I've recently suffered a chest infection and currently taking AB, I'm really suffering with pain in my upper back on left side. Has anyone got tips on pain relief? And is this pain normal with a chest infection when you have COPD?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would either go see your doctor or give your doctor's clinic a call and see if you can talk with the nurse and get advice Jo. If it's a new symptom it's a good idea to get it checked out. Hope you're feeling better soon. 
  • Posted

Hi Jo

Yes it as been known to get pain when you have had a chest infection. Even with normal lungs, let alone some one with COPD

It does depend on your medication, but what generally works for me is a hot water bottle wrapped  in a towel and put on the effective area. If you are thinking of tablets, best go and see and speak to your local chemist if you do not want to bother your doctor. They will be better to advise you as some painkillers can effect some medications.

Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Kev  (UK)  cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Jo

i have been suffering with an infection since just after Christmas.  I was on AB's for a couple of weeks then a further week of steroids. I thought I was on the mend and then last weekend I could hardly breath with the pain in my lungs. At first I felt as if I had pulled muscles as I had been coughing a lot. Anyway I got an appointment with the doctor last Monday and I have been put on Doxycycline for eight days together with more steroids. He told me it was the infection that was causing the pain as I had a rattle in my right lung and to return to the surgery if I didn't feel any better by the end of the week. 

i have had quite a few chest infections and even ended up in hospital but I can honestly say I have never experienced lung pain like this. I've found heat pads and even deep heat cream rubbed into my back has helped together with a pain killer specifically for back and muscle pain.

I am feeling a bit better and the pain is slowly subsiding. I still have two days AB's to take, which sees me to Sunday, then I will decide whether I need to see the doctor again.

I have missed two weeks of my Pulmony Rehab class which has annoyed me as I haven't been able to return since the Christmas holidays.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Jo. Always sorry to hear about any pain to anyone, i use the actipatch, whether a placebo or not it seems to help. If your coughing up phlegm ask your doctor for carboscisereine to ease the problem, good luck.
  • Posted

Hi

Thank you all for your replies, they are all useful. This forum is a godsend, I wish everyone knew what effect COPD has on you, I get tired and sometimes embarrassed explaining why I feel ill, why I've been off work. People must just look at you and think well she looks ok, she can't be that ill.

I hope everyone has a good day, especially our friends in the USA dealing with the snowstorms, stay safe xx

• Posted

Hi ,,,,I've only just found your comments ,,hope your feeling better now ,,

sadly ive had/got exactly the same pain as you ,,,in my left side area,mine started around 14th dec ,,,,and it's gradually got worse ,,I'm finding it difficult to sleep,,,,as it really hurts when turning I even bought a V pillow thinking I could tuck it under my shoulder ,,,,sadly not ,,,,I don't think it's caused by coughing as I haven't had a " bad " cough for a couple of weeks now ,,,but it was a very bad loud hacking cough in the beginning of the infection ,,,,,I'm now back on another antibioyptic awaiting sputum results that I should know on Monday ,,,,,if you read this and you found out the cause of your pain ,,,I would appreciate it if you would let me know ,

phone your doing better now ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.