Pain in upper hip

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wondering if anyone has had pain in the Ilium or Iliac crest region of the hips.

I've had this pain for 2-3 weeks now.

Went off meds for a while and suffered through the pain and inflammation for a while.

Then had a major flare and back on meds. Felt great for 3 days but still had the upper hip pain but it was minor.

Flaring again and the upper hip pain is back and pretty severe making it hard to sleep.

Last flare was all over body, so far this flare is only in hands and upper hip.

The hip pain has me concerned because I've never had it in this area. It's usually the groin or buttock area.

Any feedback is appreciated.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Could be RA pain from inflammation. I get these pains in the hips also. Right now I have chondritis at the bottom of the rib cage in my abdomen. Inflammation can occur where cartiledge and bone meet, causing pain. I also get tendinitis from RA inflammation. These pains persist for a while and then disappear only to show up somewhere else. I keep my rheumatologist informed of these areas of pain so he can more accurately diagnose the severity of my RA.
    • Posted

Thanks timothy. Did some research on it last night and believe you're probably correct.

Good news, hip pain is dull and minor. Bad news is my feet and knees are the target today. That's Ok because my hips need a break

• Posted

Hi Tony,

yes I get this pain exactly where you describe and I really struggle to walk.  I feel for you.

• Posted

Yes, me too, mostly when I sit for a while. I'm getting to where sitting or reclining makes things hurt when I get up, but luckily it goes away when I walk more and stretch. 

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. I also have trouble walking. Always walk with a limp and sometimes drag my heels. It is always worse after sitting or lying and getting up to walk.

This flare started in upper hip and hand's but on the drive work, my hip's in the buttocks area are painful now

Gotta love this bs

• Posted

When you say the pain is in the buttocks I wonder if this is more of a muscle pain seen in fibromialgia, which  my mom had and took aleve twice a day.  She said sitting on the comode hurt.  She gave up a trip to the UK because of the pain.
    • Posted

I mean outer buttocks. It's the ball in hip. Thanks Lynn

• Posted

Hi tony,I have the same pain as you and when it is flaring at it's worst

icepacks is what controls the pain more than anything.Just wrap a wash

cloth around a small freezer icepack(blue bag kind you put in a lunch box) and put between hip bone and side of underwear.That might sound funny but I know the pain isn't.Hope it settles down

• Posted

No, it doesn't sound funny. Well, maybe a little bit. I will definitely try it. I have a couple of them in the freezer at home.

Not sure if you're in the states but Monday is a holiday here. Called GP and she's going to see me first thing Tuesday and refer me to a rheumatologist!!!

Thanks for the advice

• Posted

Yep I live in the states,and it does look funny to be packing on the side of your hip.I was hit with extreme pain right at the hip joint

and groin area,there is a slight bulge there usually and that is how

I learned of having something going on,one day the slight bulge

just started appearing then 6 months or so later I had pain like

giving birth out of the hip,sorry for the weird analogies but I have went through 4 deliveries and it was that bad.I had a CT scan and xray,I finally got a cortisone shot to calm it down.I never got an

answer as to why.I hope it goes well for you at your appt

• Posted

Sometimes I ice too, but am finding heat feels better. I have a nice pack I can put in microwave for 1 min. Hot baths do nothing for me, except dehydrate me. wink 

and yep, my other hip ball area hurts too, but as mentioned before, mostly after I've sat for 30+ minutes, or walk a bit too fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.