Pain in upper right back could it be my gallbladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

I find sitting in my armchair or lying in bed really u comfortable. I feel like there is so much pressure from below my ribs. I do have regular burping episodes but not real pain in my abdomen.  The back pain does is getting worse. Doctor thought muscular because there is no tenderness to he touch.  I am flying to USA I. 2 weeks and worried how I can sit for long time.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Does sound like gallbladder, but probably need a ct scan to be sure. I never had right sided abdomen or rib pain, but had horrible back and shoulder pain on both sides. Went to hospital, thinking I was having a heart attack, and they did ct and saw gallstones. I am 8 days post gallbladder removal, and don't have the back pain anymore, but I believe I have other issues non related to the surgery. 
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, the pain is mostly a dull ache in my right should blade and back. However, it has increased recently so that I cannot lean back in my armchair or bed. I was worried about my lungs but as I swim a lot am convinced my breathing is fine. I do also find aches down my right arm. I have suffered from upper body wind since age 16, I am now 60 although not been bad for last 10 years. I do not have indigestion pains at all.  Doctor wants me to have physiotherapist, but I will leave that until after my holiday.  Meanwhile I am going to discuss with my diabetic nurse, I have read that gallbladder and diabetes tend to go together. I have found myself eating less, not a bad thing, diabetes means little sugar, carbs etc and now find myself cutting out dairy and fats. Fruit isn't even good for me. 
  • Posted

Sounds to me as if it could be gallstones. An ultrasound scan should tell.

Have a lovely holiday.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I need to push for a scan then. Just hope I don't get through my holiday without severe pain. Thank you Sarah
  • Posted

Hi, Pauline, do you have acid reflux, as well?  It seems to me that you might be having refered pain from acid reflux.  Good luck to you!  Let us know how you do.
  • Posted

Well, went to hospital again today, after having burning pain on both sides of my chest. It stayed all day long, and I still have it now. They did an EKG and a CT chest scan, and stated all looked good. Want me to follow up with cardiologist next week. I wake up every day(when I can sleep) with horrible nausea, weakness, shakes(tremors), and dizziness! Am so tired of being sick! Have three doctor appointments next week, and hope to have hormones checked. Believe a lot of my problems could be menopausal 😔
    • Posted

the menopause has a lot to answer for! Hope they diagnose soon. I have not had any other symptoms but am concerned that they might start whilst on holiday. Unfortunately good food is part of the holiday! I will have to wait and see.
  • Posted

Here's hoping you are well on your vacation! Be mindful of what you eat, and take it easy! Have fun!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.