Pain in upper right chest after eating, possible gallstone?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have never had a gallstone or known someone with one before so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

Last night my boyfriend and I ate pizza and about an hour and a half later I was laying down getting ready for bed and felt a horrible stabbing pain in my upper right chest just behind my ribcage. The only position that brought any relief to the pain was standing up, but still it hurt every time I inhaled. I was burping a lot and thought maybe it was just gas, but the pain lasted well into the morning hours before I finally took some sleeping meds.

There is no pain this morning but am still gassy and bloated and have a nasty taste in my throat that I think is bile. I had cereal and milk for breakfast and went to the gym but the pain hasn't returned.

Do gallstones ever behave like this? Or is the pain consistent? Also if it comes back should I be concerned enough to go to the ER?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi this is how my pain started after eating heavy and greasy foods, im waiting for a scan to see if it is gallstones or my gallbladder the pain is horrendous and last a few hours. when i have a flare up im up all night and have a bad belly it makes me want to constantly burp hope you get it sorted go to your doctor x

• Posted

i have a gallstone that only plays up after i eat pizza strangely, when you say upper right chest where exactly is the pain?

My pain comes directly under my right hand bottom rib not on my chest.

some people get it in the same place as me but in their back.

Some people swear by fresh apple juice as it calms the gallbladder, the only thing that helps me is a hot water bottle right on the area of pain.

• Posted

where i have highlighted with red, the pain comes suddenly and lasts a few seconds but it is unbearableimage

• Posted

It feels to me like it's right below my mid ribcage. Did your doctor recommend removing the stone or do you just avoid food that triggers the pain?

• Posted

You are right. If you have a bad gallbladder then this could lead to pancreatitis. Pain left side. I had pain that radiated from side to side. And upper back pain. Very nauseous everyday and vomiting. Dry heaves too. Sick 24/7. Gall attacks that leave you bedridden for hours up to days. Is this what you are experiencing? Hope you well.

• Posted

Gall bladder pain usually lasts a few hours and then can subside, unless the gallbladder is infected. On your picture, you also circled your shoulder. Mid-chest and shoulder pain can be heart related, too. Get your doctor to do a work-up - and be patient. Sometimes it's hard to diagnose abdominal/chest pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.