Pain in upper spine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have had same problem for 3 months now but mine pain is 2 bones eh on my spine from my neck been taking ibuprofen and using voltarol gel. And nothing works been for xrays they came back normal I have appointment to see physio in 5 mths time but don't know what to do in mean time as I can't even hold a shopping bag for more than 5 minutes without pain getting worse

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

You didn't say how old you are or if something triggered this.

If the pain is coming from your neck, x rays often only show the gaps between your vertebrae, if they are narrow, then maybe a disc problem, if normal, it could be muscular.

One thing you could try to strengthen your neck muscles, is do a full rotation one way x 5, then the other way x 5. Very slowly.

This is a good physio excersice and is recommended for such as whiplash.

increase the numbers of rotations, and do this three times a day.

It should help quite quickly, if your muscles are stronger, they will support your neck.

Sometimes when things hurt, we are afraid to move them much in case it makes things worse, this excersice will only help, will not harm.

• Posted

I'm 46 years old and had no injury. It started last year but only came and went 3 or 4 times. Then started again 3months ago but hasn't gone and thank you for advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.