Pain in urethra area, not a UTI

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have had a pain in my urethra ever since November of 2016. It comes and goes. It's a raw kind of burning feeling. I've been tested for UTI's multiple times and they all come back negative. The doctors have treated me for one with antibiotics, but the pain is still there. Does anyone else have this or know what it could be? Also, it's not an STD. Been tested for those too.

Thank you! Please help!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, 

I'm assuming your female so my advice is for a woman only..I wouldn't have any idea what that could be for a man but I know men often post here too so hope this helps..

A few years ago I started having pain in and around my urethra after taking a bath that I accidentally put dettol in...although it's fine for most people to have a bath with it, it apparently triggered something in my urethra and surrounding area...this went on and got worse and worse for months until I was in unbreable pain and also burning outside all around the area...my gyne was usless and my dr (male) didn't know what to do with me having tried antibiotics etc etc...he sent me to a friend of his who was a women's only doctor with a very good reputation...she confirmed what i had already kind of found out from searching books and the net in desperation....I had Vulvodynia...it can affect any part of the vulva..out side burning around the whole area or just the vulva or the urethra or any of the area including upper thighs...its different for everyone...the treatment is usually a tablet called amitriptyline or lyrica ...these are both tablets that over time stop the nerves causing pain in your body ...they can also make you tired..you usually start off with a small dose and up it to what you can take...I'm not on a high dose as my body can't handle medications well...but eventually they do work..there are also creams that help some people for outside burning...the upshot is  this is sometimes triggered by all sorts of things for women usually at a certain age but any age can get it... mine  is more or less under control now but it's been a long hard journey...however my symptoms were much worse than what your describing so I'm thinking if it is Vulvodynia you have got time to get in under control...you need to go to a good dr or gyne and discuss it with them..I've had lots of help from people on this and other sites help me in the past trying to figure out what the hell this thing was and how to treat it...Unfortunatly a lot of people have never heard of it and neither had I..There is no test for Vulvodynia but it's diagnosed by your symptoms and mine has always affected my urethra as they are so close together...

i really hope you get better soon...it can just dissipate by itself or come and go..m y suggestion is go to a women's only dr or gyne and discuss it.,Try the meds and see if they work..they do take a while to build up in your system but eventually work...let me know how you are getting on and I really hope you feel ok soon,,,I know how awful,the feeling is and the upset of it never leaving but it will soon.

lisa

• Edited

First off are you male or female?, I have had this very thing and I have found out what it is in my case, but I won't go further into it until I know what gender we are dealing with.  

• Edited

Okay I can help you better hopefully.  So I had the exact same thing going on that lasted many months (7 to be exact)  I was referred to a urologist, a gynogologist and I have seen a natural practioner, a Chinese practioner as well as my general practioner.  First off I have to say it was all trial and error to find things that helped give me relief, but first I will tell you what they all concluded was causing mine......I am not sure of your age, but if you are in your thirties, forties and so on, it is a good chance it is hormonal related.......the second thing could be pelvic floor muscles.  After many urine cultures, and microscopic urinalysis that ruled out any type of infection or bacteria.....it was time to look at biology.  First off the urethra, bladder, and surrounding area relys on estrogen and as we get older that starts to deminish, some months are worse than others....secondly if you have muscle issues (I have had chronic back issues for many many years and had two children that the pelvic muscles can be the cause, either too tight or the opposite.  The other thing to rule out is any type of vaginal infection such as yeast.....all that was clear for me, so I knew I was dealing with something more complex.  We are all different but what has really helped me is eating more healthy, cutting out caffiene, and eating less sugars, I try and drink celery juice on a regular basis, I take oral probiotics daily that specialize for a healthy urinary tract, I take d-mannose, and I have changed my toilet paper to hypoallergenic.  I also changed soap products that are more gentle and specialized for that area to keep the PH levels just right.  A few times a month I also insert a vaginal probiotic, and I have creams is I get a flare, which doesn't happen often anymore.  I have also started acupunture therapy and this has been the best thing......I also started to keep a diary keeping tract when I would get it and it was interesting because it always seemed to be when my hormones were changing......I also got a bio-idential Estrial cream that I apply once a week to keep the skin tissue healthy......I know it sounds like a lot, but I have had so many appointments and I have studied this issue......Basically there are terms that a doctor may throw at you, urethral syndrome, or vulvadynia but like the gynocologist says they are just diagnosis for a symptom, so you can either get medication or find other ways to treat the symptoms which I have.  It is a miserable feeling and I wasn't going to give up.

• Edited

Hi there, I am experiencing the same symptoms as you but I am only 21. I’m suffering really badly with depression because of it! I cry everyday. I can’t drink or have sex as I’m in too much pain. I’d love to talk more if you’re available? You can email me?

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Edited

I'm 22 and experiencing the EXACT same thing as you for 11 months now. Have cured whatever is it you're experiencing? I've lost hope after going to 20 different doctors.

• Posted

Hey, I am afraid notsad I’ve cut sugar out of my diet completely and it helps a lot. I don’t eat anything acidic or drink anything apart from water. The only thing that helps me is if I take cocodamol pain killers. I have been diagnosed with ureaplasma which I suggest you get tested for! I tried 2 weeks of doxycycline and no different. Been back to the doctors today and they are referring me to a gynaecologist again to do more testing, also I recommend u  it some PH sticks for your urine to test how acidic it is. The more acidic I experience more pain. I take vitamins to try ease the pain if my urine is acidic but I’m not sure they work. I recommend u get tested for ureaplasma ASAP x
    • Posted

i highly suggest you do some serious investigation of your own labs and this diagnosis i was diagnosed with ureaplasma years ago they just never mentioned it . You need a dr that understands the disease .

• Posted

In 2014, I started having a gradual pain, discomfort feeling in my groin area, specifically underneath my penis (urethra area) but at the time I thought it was in my testicles. I noticed the pain when I would go running. Then, later, I also noticed it when I squatted at the gym. During my squats, it would "hurt" only during the first couple of reps and then it would subside. So, time went by and I ignored it thinking it would go away. Unfortunately, it actually got worse. Finally, after about 2 years later, I decided to get checked out. I had blood workd done, mri's, x-rays, etc and the only thing that they discovered was "varicocele". I went to a few urologists and they told me the same thing --- that I had a condition called Varicocele, a vein in the left testicle that was all knotted up and was preventing normal bloodflow, which was possibly causing the pain. I was operated in July 2016 and a year later, I still had the pain. After further research, I discovered that the varicocele surgery may or may not get rid of the pain. So, my went to a few other doctors (orthopedics, general doctors, physical therapists...), got more bloodwork done, etc and they did not find anything. A therapist told me that my groin area is tight and needs stretching. I've been stretching everyday for about 6 weeks but I do not notice much improvement. The other day I massaged my urethra underneath my testicle (between my anus and testicles) and I felt some relief.

I'm guessing that the pain is related to a tight or inflamed urethra, but of course, I'm not a doctor and I need to have this looked at by a doctor. I do not have any problems urinating or anything like that; just a pain underneath my testicles, which appears to be the urethra. Does anyone have the same problem?

This is frustrating because I can't squat anymore and even simple to movements like bending over to brush my teeth or wash my face hurts that area. Even when I get out of bed most morning is painful. It's most common when I bend over as if if to pick up something from the floor or make a squat-like movement.

• Posted

I am 66 and I have suffered off and on now since 2016 with burning urethra and around that area sometimes raw. At first the dr gave a cream to use that helped at first then I found out it thins the skin and I have hard time if I walk much so now that is limited. Was sent to Urologist and no infection but was being treated for UTI. Then went to Dr for Women’s Health and after trying Premarin cream 2 times. Week and coconut oil in between that. I would get better then walk and get worse. I wound up having surgery to tact up blaster, vagina, and rectom. He shaved off skin on each side of vulva said skin has inflammation and when it heals that skin did better. Now the area he didn’t shave off get inflamed if I walk much. So I’m hoping someone on here knows something I can try. Today I sit with urethra area just a burning and it makes you feel so miserable. I use sensitive soap by Dove, use to use toilet paper with aloe until they don’t make it now. Stopped drinking diet Mt Dew.  Premarin cream is suppose to help the skin not then and be more elastic. Anyone have answers?
  • Edited

I am 19 and have delt with the same thing for almost 3 years now I have gone to the dr many time and have been percribed a ridiculous amount of antibiotics and still. I change it’s comes and goes and it has become very stressful. I experience extreme burning and frequency but nothing else. 
    • Posted

Serena17 try googling chronic urinary tract infection.  You probably have a long term infecton.  The tests (dipstick and culture) miss 50% of infections and short courses of antibiotics aren’t sufficient to help.  
  • Posted

Do you get this pain when you move around and its ok when sitting or lying down?

That's what I get - the moving around thing.

• Posted

Do you get this pain when you move around and its ok when sitting or lying down?

That's what I get - the moving around thing.

• Posted

Doctors only do urine samples which doe not show the bacteria. When you take your urine sample use a cotton swab and put it in your urethra and then put it in your urine sample. Leave it there for a few minutes. You will have the result at the lab and decide from there. The bacteria are too small to show in the urine and they are embedded in the walls of your urethra so they will not come out with the urine. The doctor will then be able to prescribe the exact antibiotics for your particular bacteria. Let me know if that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.