Pain increase 10 days after laparoscopic cyst removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

24 y/o generally healthy female, started having sharp severe pain, 11/19, went to er and ct showed a 6.3 cm cyst on my left ovary and free fluid from a cyst that ruptured. My obgyn thought the cyst on the ct may have a leak instead of second ruptured cyst. I went in to have laparoscopic surgery on 11/22 to remove the cyst, aside from saying it was a hemorrhagic cyst and that there was some internal bleeding they told my fiancé everything has gone fine (f/u with surgeon is next week, so I haven't heard anything). Pain was very bad with a lot of swelling for three days (much worse than the laparoscopic appendectomy I had 6 years ago). However I retuned to work 6 days after surgery, 11/28. I have had some soreness after work but I wouldn't consider it pain. Today at lunch time my hands would visibly shake when I tried to type or use my hands, I got diZzy, clammy/sweaty, and I was worried i may faint for about 3 hours. This went away, and at about 3 I started to get a sharp pain similar to the one I had at the time of the cyst rupture, that progressively got worse than it had ever been, felt SOB, slight chest pain, and radiated to my left flank/low back and right low abdomen. This has gone down to similar to the original pain after laying down. I feel warm to my fiancé, but can't check my temperature because thermometer can't be found. I don't feel like I'm burning up, but definitely over 99. As long as the pain doesn't shoot back up am I safe to wait until Monday to call my obgyn?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

You went back to work very early after surgery, didn't really give yourself time to recover.

I'm not surprised you are feeling ill, did your obgyn say it was ok to go back so soon? Only asking because here in the UK things seem to be a lot different, and feeling clammy and faint is a sign of exhaustion.

The severe pain for three days post op is probably from the amount of air put in, the ovaries are harder to get to than the appendix, so your abdomen needs to be lifted away more, then you get lots of trapped air trying to be adsorbed.

You have had the laparoscopy instruments hitting you from various angles, so adhesions could be now pulling apart, that could be the sharp pain.

If it comes back, or you have a temperature, call your Dr, or maybe ring the hospital ward that you were on, and ask for a nurses advice. Don't just worry all weekend, they will know what you should do.

good luck-- hope you feel better over the weekend.x.

• Posted

Yes, my obgyn said it was ok to go back to work. The only thing she said was not to lift anything heavy. She also said it was fine to continue to travel to my family's for thanksgiving. I was outpatient and home within 6 hours with only 3 days of mild pain killers (which made it unbearable, especially since I was in the car for about 5 hours there and then 5 back two days later).

Found my thermometer and I'm at 99.5. The paperwork they sent me home with told me to call if it spikes over 100.4.

I can tough out the pain, but I guess I'm just hoping nothing is seriously wrong. The incisions are completely closed and look very good. I've even had on and off shortness of breath and tunnel vision. I work in physical therapy and I know the symptoms of a blood clot and I am not showing any signs of that. I was worried that I was going to pass out at work and was just hoping I didn't have to have an ambulance take me out.

I wondered if it could be the gas in my abdomen they had warned about. But I thought 10 days after would be A long time before I experienced any of those types of symptoms

• Posted

If you are still not feeling well, it might be an idea to call someone, is the day patient ward open at weekends?

If not, only leave until Monday if you are feeling a bit better, it could be a virus or something you have picked up that at any other time wouldn't worry you, but after any surgery, obviously you are going to connect it.

Wouldn't think it's the gas at this stage.

• Posted

Samish sized cyst removal (9cm, dermoid, not hemorrhagic),

also only laparoscopic,

went back to work samish (within few days)

Was no problem.

I don't consider your experience now as a normal reaction after surgery nor due to too early work (depending how physical your work is!!, mine was mostly sitting at microscope and staining slides standing, not bad).

I did have huge pain when my partner thought of curling up a bit too quickly after operation though, no sex please I asked. ;-)

Feeling hot and sweaty you definitely should be going to see a Sunday doc, if this was due to your post-operation (infection?) or some other non surgery related infection. A gentle ultrasound or MRI should clarify origin or exclude internal problem of operation site. (I had btw a blood drainage tube post laparoscopy out of belly for a day, this shows how much and if still blood was dripping inside. Seems to be done less today unfortunately.)

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.