Pain increasing ????

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sorry, probably getting bored of my comments!!!

I am 3 weeks 2 days post rectocele and perineum construction. Seen surgeon last week and said all looks good. I know recovery is really slow and long...... 

But today I’m laid in bed just crying because the pain is the worst it’s been?? It’s like a clenching, tightening feeling with throbbing and sharpness. My whole perineum and surrounding is rock solid. I don’t think it’s been this bad since the op! I just wonder if it’s normal to have these bad days when the days previous I really thought I was improving? Is it because I was up and about too much? Yesterday I literally slept ALL day which is bizarre for me too. Hopefully it’s just normal recovery. I have taken paracetamol and codeine and it’s not touching the sides x x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura

Yes I feel this is normal.. As the stitches heal you will get a tightening feeling and more pain.

it's an awful recovery for some, but it is normal with this repair.

I would suggest speaking to consultant Secretary for another check up..

Piece of mind is priceless and you will feel better.

You are such early days yet ,it can take up to 12 wks to feel a bit normal I'm afraid. How old are you Laura?xx

• Posted

Hi. 

My pain increased very badly at 4 weeks to the point of going back to prescription painkillers. I rang consultant secretary who said that’s is not right and she bought my follow up appointment forward but still had to wait 4 days so she urged me to go to GP which I did. Thank god I did. They sent me to the emergency gynae clinic at local hospital who admitted me to treat infection with IV antibiotics. I was in 3 days. I don’t want to scare you and it’s probably nothing but getting it checked will make you feel better and it’s better to be safe than  sorry. I was told I was lucky I went when I did. I was worried I’d be wasting their time but was told better that than not get checked. 

I’m sure it’s just a flare up during the healing process but please get checked for your own peace of mind 

Hope all is ok

Tracey 

• Posted

Hi Laura,

It would not be unusual to feel absolutely wiped out and sore following activities that while would normally be considered minor...in this case can be overwhelming.  Ice, rest, anti-inflammatory meds and patience is the best intervention. That being said, if you do not gain relief, please also watch for any signs or symptoms of infection as you would need to reach out to your physician for assistance. Even at five weeks, my reserves are simply no where near normal.  Ladies ahead of us share this is a lengthy recovery so we must accept that and be kind to ourselves as we heal.  I hope you feel better after rest and meds. Don’t overdo. 

• Posted

Laura

I would also watch your painkillers as these can cause you constipation.

I was told this can cause pain and pressure on repair.

I found an iced pad placed on underwear have my area a lot of relief.

Please see your consultant asap hunx

• Posted

Yes it’s normal. The hardness on the perineum goes away with time. If you go to a PT she would help you much with massage. Don’t worry it’s completely normal
  • Posted

Hi Laura, I' m a week ahead of you for this surgery and I had exactly the same experience. The pain  seems to improve, I get around a little more, and then it's back with a vengeance for a day or two. Ice has proven to be the most effective relief for me. I would caution you against not only constipation, but diarrhea. I OVERdid the meds to prevent constipation plus high fiber and the consequences were terrible. Because of all the swelling in the area, some very painful and unexpected things happened with my back passage. I won't go into details unless somebody needs to talk about it, but do be mindful.

• Posted

Thank you all for your messages, this forum has been invaluable !! 

I’m 30 years old welshgirl..... 2 little babes! I’m laid in bed at the mo 22:40 and I could cry, it just feels like it’s wrenching with sharp shooting pains up my bum! Is it weird that I would rather experience labour??? Ha! 

I have been taking solpadeine and ibuprofen and movicol every now and again. I haven’t had massive problems going to the toilet although straining sporadically (I know you aren’t supposed to) but not enough to worry. Like I said doctor said I’m fine with no infection but I was just shocked it gets worse and not better! 

Sending love to everyone x 

• Posted

The back wall repair can be worse for some women. I believe what you feel is nerves etc trying to heal.

Some ladies have no issues but others do. A friend of mine had very little pain. I take movicol still and won't stop for a while yet. My consultant told me absolutely no straining. At all. Loose the better lolx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.