Pain is not really a sharp one just a constant one that nearly drives you nuts.

Posted , 7 users are following.

No way to position it comfortably and pain meds seem to have no effect. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I just came out it out patent surgery got lanocaine injections to see if it helps with pain and if it does I will get Dr. will precede to do a nerve burn. I am suffering the pain is constant especially at night. Praying this works
  • Posted

It has been 9 months since tkr been done
    • Posted

I went through the tkr so I would not have to get shots for pain anymore... hope yours help!
  • Posted

Bak, I'm 7 months out from 3rd TKR. I still have pain daily. It's almost constant. It is driving me crazy. Been to to ER last week. Told to make appt. with Ortho Surgeon again. It's very difficult to know that x-rays are normal but some swelling & pressure most always when walking with left leg. It's been a long haul with my left knee/leg. Had first TKR then during surgery my spine got a closed fracture so, back into surgery to fix my spine. Gradually up to 8 months out my knee got hot & very swollen. My PT guy said to get into see my Ortho Surgeon. But Days waiting I ended up in ER with staph infection & rushed into surgery for a clean out of whole knee area & major IV antibiotics. I was one ill person. I just didn't know if I was going to recover. It was really bad. I finally did recover & back to PT. Then my infectious disease Dr. & I had a long talk. I was in so much pain I wanted to either die or cut my leg off. She said you may have to loose your leg to feel better. She told me about a lady who finally got her life back NO MORE PAIN.

Well I had the TKR removed for 3 months & back on IV antibiotics for 6weeks then, another TKR #2. Then again months out & my knee replacement came loose awful. So went in for TKR#3. So for 7 months out & living in horrible pain. My leg is just done. I am active & try to lead a normal life daily. It's been so rough on me. I'm on the edge as to just have Dr.'s take my leg @ this point. I don't have quality of life. I'm still on pain meds. I want to be off of them & should have been months ago. I'm hoping the pain will stop soon. I'm mostly positive & supportive of others.

• Posted

Bak, I'm 7 months out from 3rd TKR. I still have pain daily. It's almost constant. It is driving me crazy. Been to to ER last week. Told to make appt. with Ortho Surgeon again. It's very difficult to know that x-rays are normal but some swelling & pressure most always when walking with left leg. It's been a long haul with my left knee/leg. Had first TKR then during surgery my spine got a closed fracture so, back into surgery to fix my spine. Gradually up to 8 months out my knee got hot & very swollen. My PT guy said to get into see my Ortho Surgeon. But Days waiting I ended up in ER with staph infection & rushed into surgery for a clean out of whole knee area & major IV antibiotics. I was one ill person. I just didn't know if I was going to recover. It was really bad. I finally did recover & back to PT. Then my infectious disease Dr. & I had a long talk. I was in so much pain I wanted to either die or cut my leg off. She said you may have to loose your leg to feel better. She told me about a lady who finally got her life back NO MORE PAIN.

Well I had the TKR removed for 3 months & back on IV antibiotics for 6weeks then, another TKR #2. Then again months out & my knee replacement came loose awful. So went in for TKR#3. So for 7 months out & living in horrible pain. My leg is just done. I am active & try to lead a normal life daily. It's been so rough on me. I'm on the edge as to just have Dr.'s take my leg @ this point. I don't have quality of life. I'm still on pain meds. I want to be off of them & should have been months ago. I'm hoping the pain will stop soon. I'm mostly positive & supportive of others.

• Posted

So sorry to hear of all you have had to go through cathy. Hope things will get better soon. Best wishes, Cynthia
  • Posted

Have you had X-ray ? could be knee cap out of alignment or torn meniscus. PT can help get this back in control and shoes with foot arch sipport nerdy important for body alignment. Helps me for years with torn meniscus in knee and knee cap sometimes comes out of the tendon alignment. 
    • Posted

Only 4 weeks into this tkr so all tell me this is normal.. well pain all the time may be normal for some but I must just be a whimp!!
  • Posted

bak7833 sorry to read about your terrable experience i had both tkr,s and 2nd one was done  november5 last year due to my ankle on the same leg out of symantry i can take only short walks then my hip on right side do not want to walk any more and ankle is screaming to stop the torture i got an ankle brace wich you need to have a science diplome just to put it on lol but helps me to get along a bit better back to knee busness i had a remarkeble recovery of sorts on the 2nd tkr after 2 weeks was mobile and walking in and around the house could do much more myself and not holler for the wife to do this or that for me i could sit and shower wonderful and fetch anything i needed i still numbnes on the 1st knee but it is apparently normal still do some meds but sleeping like a baby so what you are going through is a nightmare of a bad class and need to get a second opinion from total new orthopedic surgeon and maybe a soft tissue scan to see if scarring inside the wound is not the problem i have had bad times first time around but yours sound like some one is doing it not right and also do not over do anything physio if it hurts stop please tell me how it is coming along regards danie61

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.