Pain is scaring me, is this normal for IBS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, first time posting here, I hope someone has advice for me.

I do suffer from hypochondria so as some of you may know any little pain will send me into panic. 

Since a couple of years ago I was 'diagnosed' with IBS. As in, not much testing apart from a blood and stool test and hearing my symptoms out. 

Two weeks ago I started having this dull ache in my right side and abdomen. And it was *constantly* there. I'd say it was 2 from a 10 scale. It was mainly my side and it radiated towards my hip, back and towards the center of my abdomen sometimes. Anyway go to the doctor, get a pelvic exam, doc says it's just my bowels acting up. Blood test and urine test (for smth else) come back normal. 

I then had a week off and was down with a cold so I didn't really move around much or go anywhere, didn't eat THAT much either, pain was almost none existent. But now since two days ago I have this gnawing feeling in my right upper quadrant, I assume it's where the bowel makes a turn, and it is scaring me so bad I'm scared to go to sleep, because it actually didn't let me sleep yesterday sad Occasionally the pain will jump to the lower quadrant on the same side, but it's pretty much just constant where it is. Earlier today I had some sharp painful jabs there as well which scared me even more. Yesterday I had a BM and it wasn't much and quite hard (sorry for TMI!), but today I had a BM and it was quite soft and fluffy, I don't understand sad after the BM the pain SORT OF subsided into this tingling, pin feeling but it's still there constantly. 

I know this sounds stupid to a lot of you who luckily don't suffer from health anxiety, but all my brain is saying yep your colon is getting blocked by a tumor, that's why the constant pain in one place sad I both want to and don't want to go back to the GP, but I'm pretty sure they'll just roll their eyes at me and tell me not to waste their time. Which I feel I do, even though I don't see them that often! 

I just want advice, I'm pretty sure IBS flare ups shouldn't last for weeks sad  

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I did not want to leave this thread on a cliff hanger in case a stray reader wanders in with the same problems. So I'm not having this constant pain anymore, but I still get the right side bowel pains (which only last for up to a couple of minutes and then go away, THIS is the type of pain I am familiar with) and I still occasionally have the gallbladder-y pain which is still unexplained. When the constant pain was there I had called up the doctor again and they said they are sure this is not gallbladder related and if I'm really worried go to A&E. Which I obviously don't want to do unless I'm really sure. So in other words, the battle with unexplained symptoms continues!

• Posted

The pattern of your symptoms sounds like IBS; my brother was diagnosed with IBS based only on his symptoms and he had a fecal calprotectin test to make sure he didn’t have IBD as well. He had just as few tests as you.  You don’t always need tests to be diagnosed with IBS if your doctor is confident enough that you have it.  Tests are done, if your doctor doesn’t know what is wrong.  A diagnosis of IBS with little or no testing still counts as a diagnosis.  Doctors can diagnose you with or without tests. 

Your symptoms were explained when you had a diagnosis of IBS a couple of years ago. Symptoms can be constant or can come and go; this is normal for IBS.  My IBS was constant for three and a half months when it first started and then it became come and go symptoms with long remissions once I got my diagnosis, accepted IBS and stopped worrying.  If you are still worried, ask for an ultrasound or colonoscopy. An ultrasound would detect gallstones and a HIDA scan would check your gallbladder function.

If these come back normal along with your urine test, blood test, pelvic exam and stool test, your doctor will lkely once again diagnose you with IBS since everything else has been ruled out.  To start to feel better, you will then have to accept what your doctor tells you.  If your doctor tells you he is sure you don’t have a gallbladder problem, trust and believe your doctor.

I was worried about my pancreas before finding out I had IBS.  I talked my worries through with my doctor and he reassured me pancreas problems were unlikely at my age.  I decided to accept this, and I felt a lot better. 

IBS flare ups can last for days,weeks or months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.