Pain killer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Out of interest what do you all use for pain?

At the moment i am useing a tens machine as i have been banned from my usuall pain killers and paracetamol on its own is not strong enough.

Lizzy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie - when mine gets going I use a combo of Co-codamol and Ibuprofen, that usually does the trick for me.

Mine hasn't been too bad this last couple of weeks - touch wood!!

I go for my pre op assessment on the 13th Jan and my op is scheduled (all being well) for the 20th of Jan, although I'm being admitted on the 19th.

How do I feel about it? I'm in an absolute frenzie - I just wish someone would wave a magic wand and make it disappear.

Janice x

• Posted

Hi Janice

thanks for info.

What sort of opp you having?

I hope it all goes OK for you.

Liz

• Posted

I've got (what they think is) a dermoid cyst on my left ovary, so I'm having my whole left ovary, and the cyst, removed.

I knew I had a cyst on my ovary as it showed up a couple of years ago on a CT scan I had for kidney stones - boy, I'm one luckly lady!!

At the time I was told it was a simple cyst and that it would eventually go away on its own.

To let you understand 2008 was the year from hell for me and my family.

My wee mum died back in March, my dad was in hospital at the same time with fluid on his lung, which they think is related to having worked with asbestos wayyy back in the Glasgow ship yards of years ago.

We were just getting to grips with that when I started having like a tugging sensation on my left groin area, which was when they found the cyst - which by this time was bigger and deffo not a simple cyst.

I had an internal US scan (delightful process) and that confirmed it was almost certainly a dermoid cyst (very slight possibilty it may be an endometrial cyst) and was big enough to need removed. That was back in August.

Not long after all this we discovered my dad has prostate cancer.

I saw a surgeon in Sept and he suggested then that they remove the whole ovary. The op should have been in Dec but I cancelled it - we have a wee boy of 10 and I wanted him to have a nice christmas - 'specially as we'd had such a pants year.

Anyway - sorry for ranting on, that's me now due to go in 19th January.

I am absolutely dreading it - I promised myself I'd lose weight for the op, which initially I did but I've put it all back on and I'm as fat as ever!! :oops: . That coupled with the fact I have high blood pressure has be terrified of the anesthetic!!

By the way I'm 44 - which I think is roughly the same age as you, 'sure I read that in one of your earlier posts.

What about you? How are you coping, and how are they planning to treat you?

• Posted

Hi Janice

You've really have had a bad year, how awful for you and your family, i had one like that years ago and it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I really hope 2009 looks brighter for you, and your dad gets better soon, is he having any chemo etc ?

It's really hard having younger children because you don't know how they'll react to seeing mum poorly and in hospital and it's natural being so nervous, the hardest bit is not showing it because they don't understand and we don't want to frighten them, i remember when i had my hysterectomy nearly 11 yrs ago i was so nervous my vains went into shock and they nearly had to put my drip in my ankle, i ended up with excema all over my face, i looked a right mess, my youngest was 10 mths, the others were 9,12 & 13, it broke my heart leaving them, i'm even getting nervous now just incase they do take my ovaries but i keep saying to my self it's for the best.

I to wanted to lose weight but not even got off the starting line, i'm a comfort eater if i'm worried etc but we are only human, i'm not slim, never have been naturally, lost 3 an half stone years bk with weightwatchers but can't get bk into it, i blame it on my underactive thyroid sometimes lol but saying that ive never been this heavy till i found out i had it.

Kim

• Posted

Hi Janice

Sorry to hear you had such an awful year, I'm trying to be positive so looking forward to all the nice things i'm going to plan.

I hope your dad is ok.

I was terrified when i agreed to my hysterectomy not sure how i delt with it, but i know after it was done i was a new lady and it was well worth all the stress and worry.

Yes will be 44 in may but feel like i'm 54 i thought life started at 40 and got better.

You can ramble on as much as you like to me i find it helps to get it out of my system.

I also do these books that the doc recommended cognitive therapy and coping stratagies.

no course of treatment as they are still searching scan next week results in 3 weeks.

Take care of yourself and hope all goes well for you.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi

Just had a thought my sister said lots of opps are done on spinal blocks these days not sure how that works but its worth asking if you really don't like the idea of anesthetic. I know my hysterectomy was done on a light anesthetic and an epidural and my recovery was much quicker than those that had had it done other ways.

I think i'm right in saying that its discussed more with you these days and if you tell the surgen how you feel they will try and help the pre-op assesment would be a good time.

Hope that helps.

Lizzy

• Posted

I had an epidural when I had an emergency c-section with my son and I coped well with that - mind you that was 10yrs ago and I was about 2 stone less than I am just now!!

I think I get to meet to meet my surgeon and op team again on the 19th and I'll come clean then - not that they'll need telling - I'll probably need scrapping off the ceiling. LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.