Pain Killers at night

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Everyone

I have been reading other people's posts but so far no one actually seems to talk about the pain killer medications.  I am 5 weeks post forefoot reconstructions which in short was the bunion surgery (getting rid of bony formations and then fusion so 2 screws) and breaking three bones in my mid foot to shorten them and then screw them together.   So 5 weeks later I am still in a boot and have to take strong slow release pain killers at night (synthetic morphine).

I am not worried about addiction issues as I have taken this kind of medication after my previous orthopeadic surgeries before and for much longer and was able to stop them when I did not need them any more without any problems but I am wondering how other people manage to sleep with or without medications at this relatively early stage of recovery.  I am also aware that as from week 7 I will be out of the boot and possibly in more pain to start with.    This is my 5th orthopeadic surgery (and previous ones were much more significant as they were to correct the club foot and then later life complications steming from it)  so I know about going slowly,  ellevation and using ice to keep the swelling and pain under control but I am very courious if other people also find pain at night harder to cope with and how long this was an issue.

Many thanks

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mishe,

You certainly seem to be a veteran of surgery, sorry to say. Good luck to you!  I'm 12 weeks post op bunion surger (very similiar to yours) and still have considerable pain...sleeping is very difficult and I usually wake up with pain and lots of stiffness in the morning.

I also have a very bad back problem.  Instead of narcotics I use Trammadol (non-narcotic)...it's great for my back and really helps with my foot....Perhaps you can have your doctor prescribe it for you.

Good luck with your rehab

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard

thank you for your response

Unfortunatelly Trammadol has very little effect on me and for that reason I have been taking narcotics at night for 9 years now (I also have significant back problems and generally a lot of pain in various places,  but refuse to stop living normal life so I definitely need to sleep at night).  However,  I have stayed on the same doze and only at night for 9 years (with the exception of surgery recovery periods when at times I have been on massive dozes of synthetic morphine for many weeks,  but that could not be avoided.)  I am not really worried about addiciton issues as I have managed fine for a long time and I know I can manage again.  The question really was,  how long people have to medicate at night (regardless of what kind of medication).

Since you too have back problems I am not sure if you take Trammadol 12 weeks post your op. because of your back or it is only due to your foot surgery?

Cheers

Mishe

• Posted

hi Mishe...at home I was on Panadol Oste (still am for knee etc) and Iboprofun. Some nights I gave up and took Panadeine Forte (on prescription) I also had no sheet or blanket over feet and a pillow underneath.  Some nights were sleepless
    • Posted

Hi Fiona

yep,  definitely no covers at night for the first 3 weeks (no problem as it is Summer in Australia where I live).  I cant take Codeine at all so Panadeine Forte is not for me but it is generally as strong as the drugs I take at night.  I am curious to how long after the surgery the pain disturbed your sleep???

• Posted

Sleeping was horrible for me! I used pain pills and nausea medicine to knock me out.

I had a wedge bunionectomy (bunion cut, big toe bone broke & realigned with 2 screws and tendon repair). I would be ok during the day but at night...1st it was the cast that was horrible to sleep in but once I got that r moved at week 7 it was worse to sleep for about 2-3 weeks, each night getting g better or good nights/bad nights...as the nerves were repairing my foot was so sensitive as I slept. I didn't read anywhere that anyone spoke of this issue either. So just to let you know, I shared your pain but it will get better. Just took a little longer than I expected.

• Posted

I forgot to mention, the pain and in the morning was stiffness. Here in the US I am taking hydra codon and the Phenergan for nausea from the hydracodone...but that just made me sleepy which was good. I tried simple tylonal pm but that was too deep a sleep and I fold I flexed my foot alot while sleeping when I took it.
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks post op for bunion  surgery similar to yours, plus the 2 toes next to it.  I  have 3 plates and 13 screws altogether.  I was on Hydracodone for pain.  Took it on the hour and three hours later 2 Advil and 3 hours later Hyddracodone, etc.  I took it for about 10 days and then used Tylenol if I needed anything at all.  I really didn't have much pain after that except for some sharp little stabbing pains occasionally which went away after about 3 weeks.  My husband fixed me a pasteboard box to put under the covers at night to put my foot in to keep the covers off my foot.  It worked really good.  On Friday I was able to start wearing a loose, soft shoe and things are getting better.  I don't know if this will be any help but as far as pain at night I never had any but maybe that was because I put my foot in the box at night.  Sounds weird but it worked great. 
    • Posted

Thank you Wanda.  It seems to me that you have been really lucky with pain and that is great.  I live in Australia so we are now in the middle of Summer and for that reason I can keep the foot on top of covers as it is warm at night.  Your recovery sounds so great, 

All the best

Mishe

• Posted

Hi Mishe

I am in Australia too so in Summer and no need for the blankets but on the other hand the heat and humidity didn't help with the swelling . I was taking Iboprofun for a couple of months. The Australian product , 'Natralia Nourish skin Oil ' has been great for the scarring.

• Posted

Thanks Fiona

I shall look for the oil.  I am pretty lucky as I am in Canberra so the humidity is not really an issue but the heat of course is at times.  On the other hand I do think that it is easier to have this kind of surgery in Summer as solving the shoes issues is easier.

• Posted

Hi    I actually had to google hydracodone which many here have mentioned... apparently rarely prescribed outside America....looks like heavy stuff. In Australia it is not usual to be given such for home....here on my own I think I would have fallen over! I stopped the Panadeine Forte (which I had in the cupboard from ages before) after a few days due to sever constipation from that and the other painkillers in hospital.
  • Posted

Hi Mish, I did reply on your other post but I just thought that I would add this. I camr out of hospital taking 2 tramadol 4 x each day. Providing I kept my foot raised this helped a lot and most pain came just before it was time to take another two. I would try and time it so that I had 2 around 10/11pm to try and get a bit of sleep. Although I couldn't sleep at all for the first 2 weeks. It's gradually got a bit better but I feel it if I overdo things during the day. I still have a tramadol at night if it's bad but during the day I need to be alert especially for my disabled daughter so I'm taking parecetomol. I can't take anti-inflamatorie's owing to taking Beta blockers, thyroxine and other meds.  The common theme seems to be, gentle excercise but not overdoing the standing too long or walking too far. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Fiona

any meds with codeine or opiats are likely to cause constipation

Movicol usually deals with that really well

I am currently still taking slow release opiats at night and drink two sachets of Movicol 

It works fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.