Pain Killers - which ones work best at night

Posted , 4 users are following.

Interested to know which pain killers work the best for FS.  I've been taking paracetamol and Ibuprofen and sometime sleeping tablets Sominex.  I've tried co-codamol but it doesn't help and scrambles my mind the next morning. Last night nothing seemed to work. I have an MRI scan scheduled in about 6 weeks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried the 12 hour ibuprofen when you go to bed?  I found that they sometimes work for me. 
  • Posted

Unfortunately it’s a crap-shoot with painkillers, strong ones or, regular ones 

Ie. triplicate prescription T3’s,  OxyContin, percacet, tramadol, or fentanyl.... nothing seemed to work .. even getting a shot of Demerol or morphine in hospital didn’t do much.

Only one or 2 times did I feel some pain relief from these above...

Unfortunately 

• Posted

Have you tried icing it regularly? I know that helps take the edge off for many people with this condition. It helped me in the beginning of the freezing stage. My shoulder is fully frozen now so although it's still painful, it's no where near as bad as it was in the beginning. The pain does get less in time. Stage one of FS is the most painful.

• Posted

My family doctor prescribed codeine at first, which was effective during the day, and then he offered long-acting codeine for night. It was so nice to get a few more hours sleep. The long-acting form of the painkiller that works best for you seems to be the key for night time. I used heat mostly for the achy kind of pain, ice for the burning kind of pain, and lots of pillows/support/sleeping upright. The later freezing stage is definitely the worst months if you are following a more natural route of treatment (no surgery/manipulation). Once it froze, I rarely used painkillers. It's hard to know whether or not it worked, but I also used Diclofenac (prescription form of Voltaren gel), an anti-inflammatory. 

• Posted

Thanks - I've tried co-codomol but didn't seem to work and made me feel stange so yesterday I was given Diclofenac Sodium 50.  Fingers crossed. It's so painful.  Had MRI scan and seeing consultant for results on Friday.

• Posted

Hi Louise2905: How did your appt go? I definitely needed more than diclofenac gel. The doc explained that pain & pain meds work like two gears fitting together well. You need just the right amount of med to fit the amount of pain, never more or less, for the best management. For me, the difference was having the long-acting version for best control. All the best, Liane.

• Posted

Hi Liane

Thanks for your response. It seems I have fractured my shoulder and it's now frozen.  I'm now waiting for Hydrodilitation injection which I am hoping might help.  The consultant basically told me to only take paracetamol, nothing will really help the intense pain and if I can't sleep get up and do some ironing!!!  He said taking diclofenac pills can give me stomach ulcers. 

• Posted

So sorry to hear. The diclofenac I had was in gel form that I rubbed on my shoulder, but yes, any anti-inflammatory pills can be hard on the stomach over time. That's almost too funny that he suggested ironing. rolleyes 

I get frustrated by the medical community who doesn't understand pain management. Of course there is pain treatment that will work better & ideas that will work; he was basically saying he didn't want to be the one to sort that through with you. 

In the worst of my night pain I spent a lot of time on this forum - NOT ironing! There is quite a bit about hydrodilitation (aka hydrodilation if you're searching the term).

Take care, Liane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.