Pain level stil 8 at night w int. rotation & arm lifting 6 mo postop rotator cuff & bicep tenodeses

Posted , 1 user is following.

Originsl injuries obtained in a MVA. Lying down at night, six mo after superspinatus rotator cuff repair, lg spur removal at AC joint removed, and biceps tenondeses, is nearly unbearabe. I have had five months of PT, after 6 weeks of imobilization. I was doing the exercises post PT and got a painful elbow olecranon bursitis. The pain of certain motions nearly drops me to my feet putting tears in my eyes.  Lidocaine patches help the shoulder and back pain, as well as heat to the neck and right arm, but w the ball of fluid at my elbow I was told to use ice and compression braces,  and rest the elbow, which I have done for a mo but no relief. In fact the only relief I get is when my husband manually rolls my shoulder ball backwards. There is grinding and clicking, grabbing, and what feels like more hideous-feeling impingement. Surgery and PT  has NOT brought me back to the level of pain and mobility I had pre-op. I am so discouraged. I wish Zi had never had the surgery. It is a horribly painful surgery. Wanting to find someone who will listen to me and help me. I dont take pain pills except I am on an NSAID for the elbow bursitis caused by repletive motiin syndrome. Can anyone suggest what I can do when I cant to the rowing machine or the pull fown bar weights bc of bending elbows. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joji.

How I wish I could help with some words of wisdom but sadly can only offer sympathy . I truly hope someone on this site will respond to you. I find it quite quiet on here, but Im fairly new to it  myself. Today I’m 2 weeks post fractured shoulder ( 2 breaks) and pain and swelling is almost unbearable. Review tomorrow!

2 weeks is nothing though .You have been in terrible pain for such a long time   - I can fully understand why you’re looking for good advice and  some hope that things will improve. I don’t think people understand the absolute debilitation that a shoulder injury causes. Until 2 weeks ago - I didn’t , despite being an ex nurse!

Really hope things improve for you soon  Joji and that you get a good response to your post. 

Take good care

• Posted

You have been through a lot.  It is going to take time to recover.  Stacking pillows on your bed to create a wedge and cradle will help.  Ice should be used to help with pain management.  You might need a different physical therapist  I had to fire my first one after he ripped one of my repairs completely off its anchors requiring revision repair surgery.  My second PT was amazing.  She never ever caused pain.  Gentle massage and passive rom.  I have regained full range of motion at 10-12 weeks with the second.  full range.  with the first pt pain and agony.  

the exercises in this document might be helpful.

good luck

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Patients_Visitors/pcs/rehabilitationservices/Physical-Therapy-Standards-of-Care-and-Protocols/Shoulder%20-%20Arthroscopic%20RCT%20Repair%20Protocol%20Hybrid%20Patient%20-%20Therapist.pdf

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.