Pain Management

Posted , 4 users are following.

So many ladies have posted on here about the importance of keeping on top of pain to support effective healing. I sometimes get distracted and forget to take some of my doses punctually, allowing a window of opportunity for the pain to creep back in.

I like apps and am using the Squeezy pelvic floor exercise app that was recommended on here.

For those of you that like apps too, I have found a good one which sends you reminders to take your painkillers at the right time. All you have to do is set up your 'pillbox' and the dose times and the app does the rest. It also allows you to keep a record of what you have and haven't taken at each interval.

It's called Medisafe.

Helen

Xx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Excellent idea Helen, ha ha I'm a bit old school and worked out a programme on a piece of paper for times and which painkiller to take but it really is time management of them that eases the pain. X

• Posted

Hi Gill

I started with the piece of paper too. It's the reminder function that really works for me, as I get distracted or absorbed in something and forget to take the tablets. I hope you are feeling better. How are you getting on?

Xx

• Posted

Hi Helen

That's a really good idea, thank you. I literally wrote down everything I took the first few weeks as there's no way I would remember!

How are things with you now? Hope things are improving for you.

Best wishes

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue

Thanks for asking. I think things are starting to settle down for me now. It's day 20 for me and I have relaxed a bit in terms of my expectations of my body! I think this forum has really helped me appreciate the importance of accepting this is major surgery, and even though we are at home, we aren't yet fixed!

I am getting on top of the pain now and haven't got constipated, so I think I am doing well.

My partner is staying this weekend and I haven't seen him for a week. He has noticed a difference, particularly in my mobility. It's sometimes difficult for us to see that when we are 'in it'.

How about you Sue? Are you turning your next corner? I think you are a bit further along the journey aren't you?

Helen

??

• Posted

That's good to hear hun. I'm ok thanks. Still incredibly tired and a bit frustrated that when i go out for a walk, I'm still quite slow. If I speed up, it's just too sore. The pain is now just localised to where the stitches end, at the fourchette of the vagina, and it hurts to touch. 4 weeks and 2 days on and I still can't believe that bit will never be sore , but if I think back 4 weeks, it is a huge improvement. My husband is so wonderful and all he says is "don't bend, don't stretch, don't twist" etc when he sees me trying to do things. .haha.

I am going to see occ health & my gp this week to talk about my return to work as there's no way I can do my job in 2 weeks.

Love to you

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue

So lovely to hear your hubby is supportive. That must make such a difference to your recovery and well done with the waking.

I have just been out for a walk too for about 10 minutes. That felt enough and I was a bit nauseous by the end. I was also conscious I was holding my tummy to support myself - must have looked such an invalid!

BUT I Don't care... It was good to be out in the fresh air and moving.

Hope you turn the corner with the soreness this week Sue.

Hugs

Helen

??

• Posted

Thank you. Yes I am very lucky, he's been fantastic.

Well done to you too on the walk. ..baby steps eh?!

Keep getting better

Lots of love

Sue

Xx

• Posted

Hello sue and I'll include Helen as well, you 2 are great for advice as I think you are both quite a bit ahead of me but it is so good to follow progress. I am just over a week since the op and feel I am coping well but there are parts of the day that seem more painful. I am fortunate as well to have a good hubby doing virtually everything and 1 son of 20 who is pretty good at cooking. The 19 year old not so much but you can't have everything. I get the feeling I am a bit older than a lot of you, I am 62 and also have 2 daughters in their 30's. So perhaps I have been lucky not to have had this surgery till now. I wish you both and all the ladies on here a very good recovery and keep up the messaging xxx

• Posted

Hi Gill

Good to hear you too are getting good support and yes you're right that you'll have certain times when it's more painful than others. Keep up with regular pain relief and lots of rest. It does get easier, I promise.

I am 51 and have 3 daughters but they are all grown up and live away from home so I'm quite lucky that I'm not having to look after them too..hahaha.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing and also if there's anything we can help with.

Best wishes

Sue

Xx

• Posted

Hi Gill

I think it sounds like you are doing really well, particularly given you are only just a week since surgery. Matron is very good at reminding us all that we have had major surgery, so we can expect to feel tired. As for the pain, I think we all have different thresholds, but this has been more painful than I was expecting. It does improve though, so keep doing what you're doing ??.

Ps I am 50 and have a 9 year old son ??

• Posted

Thanks Helen I think it is all the advice and encouragement on here that is helping me through and helped to prepare for the not so good days. Your son sounds like a little star bless him and like you I had my 2 boys in my 40s and feel very blessed to have 2 girls as well. Keep resting to and look forward to all the progress xx
    • Posted

Thank yo thank you Sue and yes I think the support on this forum is what helps us all xxx
  • Posted

That's good advice helen. Medicare is advised by a lot of doctors nowadays to remind patients to take their medication (including GP's) and I'd forgotten about it. You'll be buzzing and bleeping away now ??

• Posted

I am buzzing and bleeping yes, which amuses my son, but it's helping me restore a bit of routine too! Having a 10 year old forces me to embrace technology ??.

??

• Posted

I think it's wonderful helen, anything that makes life easier and improves recovery is well worth having. It's difficult enough recovering with young children. I always say keep on top of the pain relief and don't wait until it becomes unbearable and this way you'll hopefully sail through this. ????

• Posted

Quite right Matron! It is hard for children to understand that you are healing and need rest when there is nothing to see. If my leg was hanging off or in plaster, I sometimes think it would be easier! However, this app has had an interesting unintended impact .....

Ben (my son) and I both have iPads and his is 'linked' to mine. Imagine my surprise when he called to me from his room 'Mum, it's time for your tablets'. Well, I thought 'How wonderful. He is watching the clock for me and reminding me too'

Then I realised he gets the notifications and reminders on his device too!

Either way, it's engaged him in the process.

??

• Posted

That is lovely to read helen and such a good idea. He'll love the idea if looking after you as well and he sounds like he's a lovely caring young man. But you're right about not understanding enough about this surgery, not only children but adults as well. I always tried to talk to patients next of kin (usually the husband or partner)  when I explained about the recovery and just how long it takes because the wound isn't visible. Some men could understand why it was so painful! I would try to explain the equivalent operation in men, then watch their reaction ????

• Posted

Sorry should say couldn't understand why it was so painful 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.