Pain management and anti depressants

Posted , 8 users are following.

i take 100mg of sertraline daily that manages my mental health problems fairly well. However I have knee pain, and have undiagnosed pain in both shoulders, elbows, wrists and finger joints. All painkillers to date have significantly reduced the efficacy of the sertraline. They include Paracetamol, Co-codamol, Tramadol, Ibuprofen. What has worked is di-hydra codeine, however between fighting sleep and constpiation, i've stopped that. Now going through unpleasant withdrawals. Anyway the question is does anyone have any positive experiences of pain relief while on Sertraline or other similar SSRI anxiety/depression medication. Thanks for any feedback.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi David,I have been on sertraline and co-codamol also HRT, simvastin, and two asthma inhalers, I also have been prescribed pregabalin AKA

Lyrica, it is an excellent medication for pain relief and general anxiety disorder... they certainly have both helped me very much, the sertraline and lyrica..... I wish you a long and happy life.... please take care of yourself, Deirdre. Xxx. You will definitely. Get better in the end ,,,

• Posted

Hi David, I can say that I too have both mental health problems, also I suffer from severe pain... very bad arthritis of spine and hands...also, very bad ..fibromyalgia... I have been, and still am on many medications.... I find that SERTRALINE AND PREGABALIN work very well for both problems. Also TRAMADOL AND CO-CODAMOL...

THE PREGABALIN is excellent for pain management also for severe anxiety disorder...

Ask y GP to try you on pregabalin, I am sure that it would help you.... very sincere regards to you,, Deirdre xx

• Posted

Hi, my medication has recently been changed last week. Had a breakdown severe depression last March. Coming up for  2 years in March. Various medication but now on duloxateine as well as being diagnosed with fibromolygia. Hoping this us going to help! It is a horrible illness changed my whole life. Was always told it would be a case of finding right medication. Hope this helps! We are all hoping for the same goal it is just timing... Wish you well, take care. Don't be too hard on yourself either xx
  • Posted

Hi David

I don't take Sertraline but take Fluoxetine (Prozac) and have done for nearly 6 years (40mg for 5 years and 20mg for last 9 months). I also have knee pain plus have had many other physical problems for the past 25 years. I see a chiropractor to keep my body straight every couple of weeks.

As for pain relief, i found Tramadol was one of most evil drugs on the market and refuse to take it now. I can't take Ibuprofen or Diclofenac any more as i had a severe reaction to them.

This just leaves me with prescription Co-codamol (500/30 per tablet) and Diazepam (used sensibly as can be addictive). I know Co-codamol should not be taken for more than 3 days but i had a spell in hospital a few years back with a kidney stone and was given it 3 times a day for 7 days by the NHS without ill effects except a spot of constipation.

Apart from Co-codamol, i use regular paracetamol and paracetamol/caffiene mix when the pain is not too bad. Voltarol have a double strength cream available over the counter that sometimes works too.

I did 'Google' pain relief to see if there was anything else out there but it doesn't seem that there is if one is also on anti depressants.

I hope this is of some help.

Bestwishes

• Posted

For joint pain/inflamation and muscle pain I and my family have used Emflex (acemetacin) for almost 30 years. It is an alternative to such as ibuprofen with the benefit that it does not appear to have any side effects or cause stomache problems. I cannot say that nobody else will get the same result or not find some side effect(s) but I suggest it is worth a try. If you can get a prescription you will probably be told three a day. We find it best to start with two tablets then one as prescribed afterwards. It is possible to reduce the dosage to two and even one per day depending upon how you feel.
  • Posted

David mines is very similar to your I'm on 100mg setraline and I take 30/500 co codamol and find the co codamol helps me relax and sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.