Pain management clinics - useful, even if you don't want opioid drugs?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia three years ago and the rheumatologist commented on my shoulders and elbows, as well as my bursitis, which affects both of my hips.  My shoulders weren't too bad at the time, but over the past few months they have become more and more painful.  The GP said the shoulder capsule was irritated and the situation would improve when the weather got cooler.

Lately, pain in my hips and my shoulders have been waking me at night and this morning I was so stiff I could hardly walk when I got up.  It was suggested that I might benefit from going to a pain clinic..  Have others been to pain clinics and found them helpful, apart from them offering strong pain relief?  I would just like to learn how to manage this pain as best I can without opioid drugs.  Is it worth going back to my GP?  

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello - yes the pain clinic will beable to offer you more advice and support around management of the pain including gradual exercise exposure and diet information... also the psychological support can be offered.. 
  • Posted

I have been to pain clinic, I am currently on loads of different medication from my GP , the pain clinic was useless I thought. They wanted me to stop all my meds- which would be gradually- and take Dulloxetine instead. I would then have no pain relief. I couldn’t manage without my medication as it does help. I have various other illnesses all linked to fibromyalgia so I need to take various medication. I am not going back to pain clinic as I don’t think they helped at all. Don’t know if anyone else agrees? Xx
    • Posted

Duloxetine is my main form of pain relief.  I wouldn't be without it.  It almost completely removes the electrical pulses that pass through my head up to 30 times a day, and it takes the edge off my pain and stiffness.  I top up with co-codamol when I need to, but I try to limit this.

• Posted

I take 10mg methadone 2 x a day in tablet form they are for my fibromyalgia pain and have changed my life I know you don’t want to go on hard drugs nor did I buy in the end I had no choice they have helped me so much but I’ve definitely heard pain clinics are awesome I did try hemp oil first but did nothing good luck ❤️
  • Posted

Also the psychological assessment was a waste of time. They never told me anything that I don’t already know. My daughter has a psychology degree and is currently a mental health practitioner and has been more of a help than they were. I have had fibromyalgia for 20yrs so there isn’t a lot I don’t already know x
  • Posted

Iv opted for cbd oil for vaping for 5 days now and I get pain everywhere can hardly walk most days, terrible headaches and sore eyes and from day one since the cbd I have been pain free, a little tired but I just catnap if I need too but atleast I can go out, I went for a meal last night with my friend stayed out for 5 hrs I'd not have gone before this cbd oil xx

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies.  There certainly seems to be a difference of opinion about pain clinics and it was interesting to read of your experiences.  I think I may go back to my GP and talk it through further with her before I decide.  Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.