Pain management course

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have just been on a pain management course, and learnt some interesting things that I would like to share.

I first thought this would be about giving me more efficient meds, and some tips for how to manage chronic pain - wrong!

They explained what happens in people with chronic pain. From what I understood it is the nerves that are behaving badly, and sending the wrong messages to the brain. They have become super-sensitive, but we don't know why. No amount of MRIs, scans, tests will show this.

So the brain reacts as it should, sending pain to parts of the body, as a warning. While this is going on a very primitive part of the brain notices, he is the health and safety officer ( their words) so he reacts to all this going on in some way, so we have all this pain for no good reason. The people who ran the course couldn't give answers to why this happens. I think most people have found it started with them as a response to an accident, trauma or emotional stress.

I don't know if I have explained this very well - hope so.

Anyway, what the pain clinic offers are courses on meditation, mindfulness, becoming more active and goal setting.

I have yet to start these courses, but wondered what others think, and has anyone else gone to pain management clinic?

Thank-you for bearing with me, this turned out to be along post!

Take care, Anne

4 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Anne, that's excellent..I went to a pain clinic 20 years ago...they are sooo good. Thanks soooo much for sharing with us all. It is really appreciated..I have copied it and pasted it in my iPad memo...:-) xxx. Australia 
  • Posted

Hi Ann, I'm going on a pain management course soon just waiting for dates. Thanks for posting I am now going with a better idea on what to expect.
  • Posted

Hi Anne..Thanks for sharing the post..I had my initial appointment last week at Pain Management Clinic, I too are awaiting to go on a one to one with them. as I would find it difficult to go to a group arrangement. Have a good day..Anne..
  • Posted

Unfortunately all my GP will offer is advice to take ibuprofen or if I really complain loudly he prescribes Naproxen, to be honest whilst they help a little, they do not take the pain away in the slightest, they just stop the sharp flare ups but the continual hurt is still there.  I haven't been offered pain clinic referral so your post is very helpful thank you indeed.  I have started Chi Gung (Qigong) classes which is a slow relaxing moving meditation technique and it has helped a lot, so that ties in with your pain clinic advice too.  Many doctors believe fibro can be (one of the causes) as a result of stress so it makes sense to try things to lower the body's anxiety and reaction to stress by things like meditation.  I did book a very expensive mindfulness course but for some reason it really didnt suit my needs at all so I left about 3/4 of the way through as it was having the opposite effect and making me irritable smile  The latest 'stab in the dark' from the GP was to try me on steroids for a while in case it was viral (to be honest I don't believe he had a clue but was trying to find something to work).
  • Posted

Hi Anne,

i recently saw research said that people with fibromyalgia were found to actually have a larger concentration of nerve endings in the areas of pain also.

• Posted

That makes good sense Chrissy, I have had horrible issues with dental treatment all my life, having to have up to 8 shots of anaesthetic at times due to hyper sensitive nerves and many years ago I had an inflammation of the nerve endings - possibly due to stress - and the doctor back then said I had a high level of nerve ending sensitivity.  All fits in with our general tendency to develop certain issues I guess.  
  • Posted

I have been through pain clinic but unfortunately for it was no good. They messed up my meds because they had the wrong doses written in their notes and the exercise side of things left me unable to move. They didn't seem to understand that increasing exercise ceased me up. I have heard great stories though and it was a god send for my father.
    • Posted

yes they just dont get it do there they think we are just lazy and need to move when i went to the pain clinic in scarborough they made me go on the excersise bike bloody hell it came from out of the ark and the pain from jjust sitting on it , was unbelievable

silly bloody woman kept saying we have heart patceint that can do this , yes well thats totaly differant they dont produce to much latcic acid in there muscles which makes them hurt.

like us .its just to increase there circulation and get there heart pumping . i was absolutly crippled up in pain for days after .sad

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your positive comments! It seems we all have had such different experiences, not all good. Also what is offered is very patchy, and some doctors are stiil reluctant to acknowledge FM. They should because this site is one docs use! I know because my doc told me so!

Take care, Anne

PS In another discussion it was suggested we put where we are from on here - I'm from Hampshire - anyone else?

• Posted

Hi Anne, I was diagnosed with. Fibro in Dec 2014, I have been offered a

place on a group therapy session every Thursday for 8 weeks, starting on the 14th of may... Its like a AA session for people in chronic pain. Its not about getting rid of the pain as we all know its not going anywhere its about learning to accept it and manage it.

• Posted

Hello MrsShip,

Thanx for your reply. That sounds good, also I think now from what I know, it's unrealistic to expect to be pain free! Hope the sessions prove good for you, let us know how you get on.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

I have not been to a pain management clinic but have been on a mindfulness course - there was a very good book - I think it was called 'Mindfulness for Health' which explained what happens to our bodies when we have chronic pain. I hope you find the course useful - let us know how you get on. Meditation helps me relax and manage my pain better - it also helps me sleep better.
  • Posted

Hi, I am waiting for a date to go on a pain management programme in Liverpool at the  Walton Centre. I am under Dr  Goebel and he has been amazing. I went for a pre assessment in January and due to the seizures that I have( non epilepsy attachment disorder) I cannot be included in the group programme but they have agreed to allow me to have a one to one every week, including all the therapies that the group team would do. Physiotherapy, mindfulness, psychotherapy and lots more. I can't wait to try this as I'm really struggling at the moment. They did say that it should be some time after April. Wishing you well and hoping your experience is a positive one, take care. Lynn x
  • Posted

hi I start my pain program in march and by the sounds of the comments they seem a good help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.