Pain management for anal fissure

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi - I would love some advice about pain management for an anal fissure. I had mine diagnosed about three weeks ago, but have had it longer than that. I am currently using Rectogesic (externally - far to painful to try internally) and have started having linseens, a sachet of Fybogel a day, increasing my water intake, eating more fruit and veg, and generally eating less (have lost a stone since this started!) to try and soften my stools, but so far no joy. My main problem is that my stools are still large, and each bowel movement is agony. I really would like suggestions on pain management and how to cope with work. Taking time off is not really an option as I have just had a period of sick leave with an unrelated problem, and if I don't work, I don't get paid. But the pain is horrendous and so far taking Ibuprofen and paracetamol do not even touch the pain. As anyone with this condition will know, once the pain starts it is impossible to think of anything else and trying to work through it is nearly impossible. Even travelling to and from work (by bus) is awful as sitting down is agony and standing on a moving bus for an hour is not really an option. I am just about at breaking point as trying to cope at home is bad enough but I have to go to work in an hour and I don't know how I am going to get through the day. I have already had a hot bath this morning and applied my medication, but think the pain is going to kick in soon. These forums have so far really helped me, just by knowing there are other people out there suffering from this awful condition and any advice you can offer me will be welcome. Thanks.

5 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I dont have the answers sadly but i think professionals should do more to advise people with these infernal fissures.  My problem is getting up and down from a chair..i can tear that easily and nothing to do with stools a lot of the time.  Is there a better way to rise to avoid the tearing for instance?  I have found the squatty potty idea very helpful but i use a low tubular metal bathroom stool.  Seems to me that avoiding getting the things is most important.
    • Posted

I find it helpful to leverage myself in and out of chairs using my arms, if I remember.  
  • Posted

Hi jo79024 don't know how old this post is but if your poops are too big and bulky you need to stop the fiber intake just eat your fruits and vegetables and drink lots of water and your stools will be a lot softer and smoother to pass them out your main five should come from the vegetables you eat add some grains too. And exercise that ass a lot of times our ass muscle get weak from sitting for too long and that can cause weakness in our rectum and anus and cause a lot of issues do start pumping those flutes and squatting it's going to hurt but the pain will subside once you build the muscles that will strengthen the inner rectum I personally have noticed how out rectum is connected to our outer muscles and core muscles when those get weak problems start

• Posted

i have delt with poop issues last 4 months bwen really bad. had my first water enima in dec but alpline tea is amazing has helped me 3 times. its basically lube. i have pushed out some huge poops lately (crazy) at moment my bum never seems to be wiped wnough even if i spend ages and heaps of toilet paper.

vasaline helps but last year i had a sore in mid of where i wipe and going over it hurts..

i try to just use water that helps.

poop issues are horrid i get nightmares about going.

google alpline tea. they say not to have daily but every 4.6 days (my nurse told me)

it has to be warm enough to work. first time i had was too cold. it has to be very warm to touch (helps soften poop as cold tea doesnt work as good)

i replied because even though post was old theres still updates.

i recommend alpline tea. its amazing!!

just make sure its as warm as you make normal tea. ---no more enemas for me.

wipe that but wipe it.

i think my but stings because poop stil there touching the raw sores...i got mesh there but it sure hurt and i dont wanna clean again spent ages last time...sighs #toiletpaper problems

good luck i hope i help someonw.

• Posted

I hear you .. I have this same problem more then 15 yrs. Now Manny times pain is severe! .. I am getting tired of living with this pain! Me being truthfully .. I am ready to go up stairs! No pain up there? .. But I am hanging in there hoping they can figure something out? (Amen). I tried Manny things seen half dozen stomach Dr. They don't know shirt !!! If they only felt the the severe pain as I been living with for too Manny years now? .. I wish they could freeze me and wake me when they find a way to fix me! .. I hope some day the lathe pain will stop! .. Good luck .. And God be with you! ?

• Posted

I am suffering from  a anal Fissure! I ended up with one last September and finally couldn’t take the muscle spasm pain so went into the hospital and had Botox done. After a few weeks I was feeling better, taking my bath and applying all my creams. In April I ended up going on vacation for nine days and my bowels got all out of whack. I have been taking one stool softener a day for a couple months now per my colon surgeon. However I had a lot of store I ended up with one last September and finally couldn’t take the muscle spasm pain so went into the hospital and had Botox done. After a few weeks I was feeling better, taking my bath and applying all my creams. In April I ended up going on vacation for nine days and my bowels got all out of whack. I have been taking one stool softener a day for a couple months now per my colon surgeon. However I had a lot of  semi hard stools come out and ended up wifh a tear again after 5 months of relief.  So I went three weeks and then finally on May 9 I went in for another round of Botox. I am trying to remember what I went through the first time around and for some reason it’s like everything is blocked from my head. The spasms have calm down but after a bowel movement I experience burning and throbbing pain that could last for hours. I am not in a position where I can stay home from work so I go in early and try to get through my day.  I am mentally and physically drained the pain exhaust me. I am also a Crohn’s patient, I have seen my Crohn’s doctor and my Crohn’s is doing very well. The colon surgeon did mention surgery but my Gastro doctor is concerned due to me having the Crohn’s disease I can have accidents in my pants and that scares me to death. Any other advice? 
  • Posted

I have also been struggling with an anal fissure for the last 6 weeks, its absolute agony. The pain can last hours after each BM and almost makes me cry. I have seen my GP who has given me Rectogesic ointment and I also take Fybogel twice a day and senna at night. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen dont touch the pain.

Ive been reading all the other replies and will try and increase my water intake but I feel another visit to the GP is needed. Its nice to know that Im not the only one suffering.

I hope you heal soon, and let us know what works for you.

• Posted

I have also been struggling with an anal fissure for the last 6 weeks, its absolute agony. The pain can last hours after each BM and almost makes me cry. I have seen my GP who has given me Rectogesic ointment and I also take Fybogel twice a day and senna at night. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen dont touch the pain.

Ive been reading all the other replies and will try and increase my water intake but I feel another visit to the GP is needed. Its nice to know that Im not the only one suffering.

I hope you heal soon, and let us know what works for you.

• Posted

Powerful treatment for Anal Fissure Acute / chronic both:

1. Pysillium Husk <isbaghol> 1 tea spoon in warm fresh milk soak for 30mins drink 30 mins before sleep at night.
    2. Warm Sitz bath for 20 mins 2 times a day.
    3. Mix these medicine to make ointment from pharmacist:

Nifedipine 2% + Lignocaine gel 5% + Metronidazole 10% all togather use only within 3months apply ointment 3-4 times directly on fissure and all surrounding area and massage gently for 2min take double pea size quantity. For Four to eight weeks. Remember me in ur prayers

• Posted

i have recently been using rectogesic and it has got rid of my pain but after six weeks why as my pain come back.

• Posted

Hello,

im after some advice please. ive never wrote in a forum in my life but i just need aome advice so here i am.

Ive had problems with pain in my bum for years. the doctor told me it was piles many times. past could of months its got so bad to the point where my eyes water when im on the toilet. even laying down or walking! i honestly feel as thought ive got glass up there! anyway i finally managed to get the doctor to see me who examined me who told me i need to have the camera. she didnt say anything about fisure but since i can see at least six on my bum and they seem very deep. im sure there is some inside too as the pain is shooting. ive had a mirror down there and squatted and can honestly see inside is red roar and so inflamed its unbearable. blood is something i see every day too. this is taking over my life. does anyone have any tips to stop the pain and the burning. and itching 😦

i do also have piles to top it off. the fisures are all over between piles and also on piles. I cant bear the pain.

any help would be appreciated!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.