Pain Management for Chronic Kidney Stones

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Folks,

I am curious to know what you all use for pain management when dealing with stones?  I have been passing stones now every month and a half.  While I know others have it much worse I am still frustrated by constantly being in pain.  My condition has gone from the occasional stone to regular stones and preventative medications and fluids are not helping.  I have a celiac and a bowl condition that is messing with my absorption or nutrients and seems to be getting worse.  So all too often I find myself up in the middle of the night in agony with a stone.  My urologist is extremely sketchy about prescribing opiates.  While I totally understand why they are being like this I am frustrated because I have been a patient with the practice for over 12 years and have never shown any signs of opiate abuse.   I use them when I need them.  He now only prescribes 12 pills at a time which gets me through about 4-5 days when I am dealing with a stuck stone.  I then have to go back to the office and pick up another script and be treated like a junky by the staff (maybe that is just in my head though?).  For example, I had been in the office in December for pain meds.  I passed 2 stones in December and 1 in January.  I started having pain from another stone in March.  When I went in to get pain meds the nurse tells me "This is the last time he is refilling this for you...you need to get this taken care of?"  Uh...excuse me?  I have even given them all my stones and gotten CT scans that show they are there.  Now I find myself not taking pain meds and suffering for fear that it is going to get REALLY REALLY bad and I won't have any pills to take.  In any event I am frustrated and wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives?  I have been taking CBD oil but that is pretty limited in terms of pain management.  Medical Marijuana has only recently been approved in our state and I don't have a condition that qualifies.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I do know what you are going through, in February I passed 20 stones.

I use moltrin, it seems to take care of the inflammation and some of the pain.

Pretty much I am bed bound cause my doctor had refused to give me any kind of strong pain medication.

In fact, cause I go to a clinic one doctor understood and showed compassion, yet when I came back 2 other doctors minimized this, and wouldn't even look at the stones I collected, and still no pain med was offered.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain.  I only experienced two stones in my life time and I can’t imagine what you are experiencing. 

Back to the pain med. Your urogolist should give you the strong pain medicine you need. For me and everyone is different, I took mine as needed.  I got a bottle for 60   I forgot what they gave me. I only took 3.  There is an abuse factor but the pain in my opinion is very bad. 

Don’t be afraid to ask your general physician as well.  My doctor provided with proof or evidence, she will give me pain medicine when I needed.  My urologist gave me 5-325 and my primacy and ER gave me 10-325s. Hydroco if I remember correctly. 

Also, if you don’t feel that your urologist is not meeting your needs, do consider finding another doctor. You are paying for it anyway. 

Wish you the best of luck. 

• Posted

I do need to find a new doctor.  I am  just so beyond frustrated with this group. I just called to get a refill of the vicodin and they treated me like the scum of the earth.  I am scheduled through their practice for surgery next week...and I flipped at them about it not being until next week because I am so uncomfortable.  When I called to get a refill the nurse, with audible disgust in her voice  was like "I have to talk to the doctor about that...I can't just refill that drug for you...whats your number...the nurse practitioner will call you at some point today" and literally slams the phone down on me.  These jerks need to learn about compassion.  Even if I was a drug seeking junky why not just be like  "I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, since that is a controlled substance I need to talk to the doctor before we can refill it for you, someone will be touch with you today to get you taken care of"  Would that be so hard?  I feel a major flip out on them coming....but first I guess I'll let them get this devil stone out of me. 

• Posted

So sorry that you’re going through this. The best thing that I can recommend based on person experience is an herb called Chanca Piedra. You can find it in liquid form (extract), capsules, and you can make a tea out of it as well. This herb has been in use for generations in South America and has been proven by studies to be more powerful than todays modern pain medication all without the negative side effects. 

I too am plagued with stones and have made a daily routine of drinking a Chanca Piedra and Dadelion Root tea every morning and take Chanca Piedra capsules every night. Chanca Piedra works for pain and as an added benefit, it also helps break down any current stones in your kidneys and helps prevent new ones from forming. 

When I’m about to pass a stone and the pain gets elevated, I just double down on my routine. The tea twice a day and 4 capsules instead of 2. Chanca Peidra has replaced my needs for opiates or other pain meds completely. It’s a miracle herb! I highly suggest that you check it out! Best bet is to do a search on Amazon.com.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with everything!!

• Posted

I've found the liquid herb ST Rueban, also helps.

You put some drops into a glass of water and drink it, you do this throughout the day and it helps break the stones down for you. The hardest thing is dealing the awful taste, but it does work, if you find this in tablet form, get it, and you won't regret it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.