Pain Management ideas?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was wondering what everyone does for pain from inflammation? I have testicular pain from a failed left varicocele procedure a year ago that causes severe inflammatory pain in the groin and scrotum whenever I do a lot of physical activity including sex. I take Ibuprofen with codein and ketorolac and have to lie down with an ice pack for a few hours.

In 2 weeks I will get what is called a scrotal nerve block which is an jnjection of an anti-inflammatory (cortisone) into the spermatic cord that should help for a few months and then repeat.

Does anyone have any other ideas for pain management I could try? When i get these flare-ups they last for days and completely shut me down. Thankfully it does not interfere with my ability to CIC. Thanks. Howard

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Howard, first of all, "Happy New Year"

I wish I had an answer, because I know how it feels to have constant prostate problems. Right now, I'm fine and have been for the last 2 years and 4 months.

If I hear of anything, I'll be sure to let you know.

Dennis

• Posted

Howard

What type of procedure did you have a year ago. I was reading that a Varicocele Embolization is the best but you can still get them again. They say about 10 % of men.

I am sorry that you will have to go through this every couple of months. Is there nothing else that would stop the pain. I don't like saying this but what about removing the testical. I know that is a little harsh.

If the Ibuprofen is not working can your doctor give you some a little stronger. Do what you have to. Maybe sitting in a hot bath before the ice pack.

Good luck hope it gets better.....Ken

• Posted

Hi, Howard,

First off, a Happy New Year to you and all the guys on this forum!

Sorry to hear that you're having an ongoing problem with inflammation. I just had a 2-week bout of a UTI, or something, that inflamed my prostate and urethra to the point where I could hardly CIC. At one point, I feared I'd end up in the emergency room with urinary retention. I felt lethargic and had a low-grade fever. Couldn't get in to see my uro right away so I started using my arsenal for inflammation. I don't know if any of these will help in your case, but I thought I'd share what I did.

First, I cut out sugar and refined carbs. (My holiday eating had gotten way out of hand!) I did a 3-day water fast, took extra strength Tylenol, and upped my D-Mannose dose to 3,000 mg per day. After the fast, I made sure to increase my intake of high alkaline vegetables. I also increased my water intake. (If you're on other medications, fasting may not be recommended.)

A few days after I completed the fast, the infection/inflammation cleared up on it's own without antibiotics. Not sure if my techniques actually worked or if the infection cleared up on its own. Either way, I'm grateful that my energy is back and that I can CIC with ease.

As we go into the new year, Howard, I want to thank you for all the research and sharing you've done on this forum over the past couple of years. Your insights have helped me a lot! Here's to a better year in 2019!

Stebrunner

• Posted

Hi Stebrunner,

Thanks for your kind remarks and good wishes. You and jimjames were instrumental in helping me learn CIC and I am always grateful to you both. (sure would like to hear from jimjames to know that he is ok).

I know very well the fear of not being able to CIC with a urethral irritation/UTI. But I recall jimjames warning us that that is when we have to CIC to get any infected pee out of our bladders. So I put a lot more gel on my catheter so it goes in easier. But sometimes the inflammation makes it impossible so then I take a lot of nsaids and in emergencies I take 10mg prednisone. The ER would likely cause more problems than they solve as they do not understand our issues.

I also have a standing order from my uro to take a urine sample in to the lab to be tested when I have a problem. Usually it does not grow anything and is just irritation but this last time it did test positive for enterococcus so I had to take a course of macrobid. Can you do this also as you don't want to take a chance with a UTI spreading into your bladder and kidneys?

Thanks again for all your help and I wish you also the best for 2019. I agree about reducing sugar intake. I am a vegan but I love ice cream which has a lot of sugar and gluten so I need to cut back on that. Again all the best.

Howard

• Posted

Good morning Howard

Still nothing for Jim. Been trying. I will let you know.....

Take care........Ken

• Posted

Thanks Ken. Can you phone him?

I had a varicocele embolization about 14 months ago. I had varicoceles on both the left and right sides and thought by getting them sealed I might reduce my BPH according to the Gat-Goren theory.

But I insisted on not using coils to seal the gonadal veins as coils have been linked to many nerve problems later on. So a chemical sclerosant was used but unfortunately my IR was not skilled in the procedure even though he said he was. He ended giving me phlebitis in my left testicle which has ruined my life since then. Any strong physical activity or sex causes my left testicle to swell up 3 times normal with severe pain. My right side procedure was ok though.

This was a classic case of if it is not broken don't fix it since I really was not having any discomfort from the varicocele. But now he gave me a really big one so I may have my urologit do a varicocelectomy where the gonadal vein is just ligated.

Hopefully the scrotal nerve block injection will work but if not then that is my next step. Otherwise I may have to have the testicle removed! I am good at making my own problems sometimes as if I need more of them. Take care. Howard

• Posted

Howard

I know the way you feel. If it's not causing a problem leave it alone. Maybe the nerve block will help you. You have to do what is best for you. You can't live like that if you want to enjoy your life.

No I don't have a phone number for him. I have been sending him PM's every couple of weeks. I hope he is ok. He will let me know when he gets a chance

Take it easy...Ken

• Posted

I've been doing cic for 28 months with no problem until around a week ago. My urine, was cloudy and at the end of cic, the catheter, was full of a white substance. In fact, sometimes a little gooy. No pain, but I was going to cic, more often, and I also had that uncomfortable feeling, like my bladder was not quite empty.

What I did was like you, start using D-Mannose. I don't know if it was the D-mannose, but I am pretty back to normal, except my urine is still cloudy, but the white stuff, is not as much, and sometimes, not present at all in the catheter, after draining the bladder.

I still don't know if it was an infection, or something else.

Just thought I'd share it with you folks on the forum. If anyone else had this experience, I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

• Posted

Hi Dennis - I often the problem you describe and it almost always is just urethral irritation, as opposed to a UTI. You should get one of those 10 parameter test kits available so you can directly check your pee. If it just irritation then the leukocytes will be high as well as blood and a few other indicators but the protein should be normal if there is no UTI. It is a good first step. I also take a product available at the drug store for urinary tract health called " see PM ". Also some anti-inflammatories help like Ibuprofen.

Still I always have a standing order to take in a urine sample to the local testing lab just in case it grows anything, which unfortunately it did a few weeks ago -it was a UTI and I had to take Macrobid.

But after 3200 self-caths this was just my first real UTI. I do take D-Mannose as a preventative twice a day and I think that has helped a lot. One thing I do avoid is taking hot baths - I find with CIC that aggravates the irritation.

Good luck. Howard

• Posted

Hi, Dennis,

Yes, I often have cloudy urine, but I'm not concerned by it unless I have other symptoms of a UTI. As I recall, Jimjames told me early on that cloudy urine is not uncommon for folks who CIC. I also have to keep in mind that I have a kidney stone--and that my median lobe presses into the base of my bladder, which might also cause cloudy urine. The directions on the D-Mannose I take recommend 2,000 mg per day, which means I take one capsule in the morning and one in the evening. When I suspected a UTI last month, I upped my dosage to 3,000 mg per day for 4 days. I've also noticed that when I take AZO, the cloudiness clears up. Making sure I drink a lot of water helps keep my urine clear, too.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Stebrunner, I bought some AZO. I bought it on line, but I am not sure if it's the same as what you use. I think it was AZO for urinary tract. Can you tell me exactly what you bought?

Thank you,

dennis

• Posted

Hi, Dennis,

The AZO I buy says on the box that it's for urinary pain relief. The main ingredient is Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride. It turns my urine bright orange. It's available here at most drug stores.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Hi Stebrunner and Dennis - I use Azo Urinary Tract Defense with Antibacterial Protection. The active ingredient is: Sodium Salicylate and Methenamine. I take 2 every 4 hours at the first sign of urethral irritation and it does help. (I also take D-Mannose every day as a preventative). Good lcuk. Howard

• Posted

thank you. I am on day two using AZO. The directions, says take two a day. How long do you take AZO? Is it for a week, a month etc.?

• Posted

Hi Dennis - please see my response to Stebrunner just above yours here.

• Posted

Hi, Dennis,

The directions on the box should tell you how many times a day to take the drug and how many days to take it. You may not have the exact same AZO product that I use--or that Howard uses. The AZO product that I take and the one that Howard takes have different active ingredients and different directions for use.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Hello All

Good evening this bran of products are very good. You can get them at many places. You you can't figure out how to take or if you are unsure. Ask the pharmacist they can help you.

Good luck to all......Ken

• Posted

Stebrunner, that must have been scary! Things that we took for granted, when we were young, such as urination, is a big deal when the plumbing isn't working right. Good to know that it all worked out for you!

• Posted

I have seen a white substance in my urine near the end of CIC also, a few times. I saw it today after a workout at the gym. Is there a connection with working out ? dunno. I have also thought it could be calcium, or semen leakage. Again dunno.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.