Pain management is defeating me.

Posted , 7 users are following.

My helpful drug is now discontinued and banned and nothing else has helped and gives me terrible side effects.  Yesterday I told a GP that leg and other muscle spasms are disabling me and beyond acceptable pain level but nothing else was offered to me.  I am losing confidence to even get up in the mornings because the slightest movement makes spasms start and I sob with pain.  Has anybody any pain relief suggestion for muscle spasms?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry they stopped your drug.

I have suffered from the spasms for years. They keep me from sleeping properly, which caused short term memory loss.

I went to the pain Doctor first. I was going to get an injection. Instead she said I needed the Surgeon. He believes this should help. Since my spinal fluid is totally blocked off. Plus the nerves are being pinched.

At the very least I am hoping to stay the same and not get worse.

Methadone helped a long time. I take the lowest dose. 2.5 mg every 6 hours, total 10 mg. Not all doctors will prescribe it. Drug additics take much higher doses. 150 mg

• Posted

Try asking Arthritis Research now called Versus Arthritis who have a help line and lots of info booklets. Magnesium is a well known muscle relaxant either in tablet firm or magnesium oil which you can buy. What about a Tens machine. don't say where the arthritis is, the GP should have offered something else - usually it's physio or a pain relief clinic - go back.Hope you find something to help.

• Posted

I have done all of that. For me I am at the end of the road. I still take magnesium.

Yes go back to pain doctor.

• Posted

Have you been assessed by a physiotherapist who may be able to perform some therapies to "reset" your muscles?  Have you seen a neurologist to check for some underlying condition which can be treated by something other than a painkiller?  

We don't know what your drug is but I assume it is an opioid.  You will be suffering the loss of this medication and it is very disturbing that you are not being given anything, whether a chemical or some other support, to help you through a very difficult time.  There ARE ways to help people withdraw from their medication, but stopping cold turkey, or with a much too short taper, is not the way.  Surely the pain clinic knows some methods which can help you through this time?  All the best, and please keep in touch.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your helpful response.
  • Posted

Hi There,

I'm not sure if you are in the UK, but Gabapentin might be a drug that you could try? I know for certain it is a current drug and often is prescribed for pain relief with many less side effects than opiods

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.