Pain management, tramadol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, my partner recently had an operation on his wrist/hand to cut some of the nerves due to severe arthritis. He was taking tramadol prior to this, the op was 2 months ago but he is still in lots of pain and relying on the tramodol. His work have said he can't go back until he stops the tramadol so he is on a reduction program to get himself off it but says the pain is almost unbearable so has started taking more again. We saw his consultant last month and he just said it was early days and that it could take many months to see the full benefit from the operation. He really wants to go back to work and I worry about the addictive properties of tramadol. Is there any other alternative medication or therapies people could recommend? Thank you

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

If the pain is nearly unbearable two months after the operation it seems like the operation failed.  I'd be looking for a second opinion and would not let the first consultant do anything more to the wrist before getting that second opinion.  Two months after an operation on the nerves doesn't seem like "early days".  What was your partner told to expect prior to the operation?

• Posted

He was told that he has severve arthitus that cannot be cured but that in most cases peoples pain is reduced around 70%. When we went back to see him last month he said it would take several months to see the full efffect. He didn't offer any advice in dealing with the pain. We then decided to see our GP who put him on a pain management plan and subsequent reduction plan with the tramodal and paracetamol. 

The cosultant said that of things don't get better then he might need to have his wrist fused. 

He is the local NHS consultant for this I don't think there would be anyone else to offer a second opinion unless we went private but can't afford to.

• Posted

That's rough.  I don't know how things work in the UK.  I live in Canada and where I live I imagine the wait to see someone of any stripe would be ridiculously long.  I expect there will be someone along soon to offer advice re pain meds.  I can't help with that.  Is there any kind of alternative therapy you could try in addition to, not instead of, standard treatment?  I'm thinking things like TENS, Chinese medicine, depending where you live low intensity light therapy is available in a few places in England, that sort of thing.  

Wondering if the pain is better or worse or the same as before the operation?

Hope you get some good answers soon.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Just been looking at alternative therapies, not heard of light therapy. Some people have said tumeric is good. I think the pain is about the same as before but some days are better than others. Thanks. 
    • Posted

Sending you a private message in case the post doesn't pass moderation - it should as there's nothing in it I haven't posted before.  wink

• Posted

I looked up turmeric.  It has been shown to have some anti-inflammatory properties.  It's not very bioavailable so it needs to be taken with a smidgen of piperine (aka black pepper) which increases the bioavailabilty exponentially.  And there are a few contraindications, it shouldn't be taken by people on anticoagulants, for example.  Certainly sounds like it might be worth a try.  

• Posted

I asked my rheumatoisologist about tumeric and she said it only really helps with rheumatoid arthiritis but worth a try
    • Posted

A good caring Dr would suggest a second opinion. I've heard that ortho drs think they are the supreme dr's and wouldn't like to be questioned i think but 2 months does sound like a long time with improvement I agree with Anhaga's comment. Fusing bones is a really big step and an easy option for them

• Posted

Oh maybe I mentioned a title.  rolleyes

• Posted

Low intensity light therapy has been shown through research to help with wound healing, which of course the severed nerves are in a way.  There may be other methods as well but I only have personal experience of this one as I get the treatment to help deal with pain of polymyalgia, so that I can lower my dose of steroid more effectively.
  • Posted

Morning Jenny;  I have had problems with OA in the past (most of my body is affected); the one treatment that I found Very useful, was Cortisone Injections into the affected areas. These were done by my Rhuematologist.  The affected area needs about 3 injections, over a period of 3 months in between.  I had many sites injected, about 5 years ago, and really don't need any anti-inflammorties now at all....probably only annoys me when there is rainy weather, and then only really rely on the Osteo-panadol (sometimes something stronger for back at times, but very rarely). I would suggest this course of action, and continue to role back on the Tramodol as suggested by your GP?   You will need a referral to see a Rhuematologist, and even pay privately if this can get you in earlier...(not sure of the rebate in your country, but here it is only really about $50 Out of Pocket for the initial consultation, and then $30 after that ). It maybe worth your while, as healing is Much quicker...there is some discomfort after the injections, but only lasts a few days (and I strapped the injected site with an elastic bandage for support until the pain subsided)...............hoping that this maybe an answer for you?    Bronwink

• Posted

I don't know the cost of a private dr where you live bronwyn but in australia it's about $380 for first consultation and a rebate of about $120 but for me it was well worth it. I believe it's expensive in the UK

• Posted

Jenny, I am sorry your partner is suffering so much pain. I have suffered from osteo arthritis for a very long time since childhood thou not in the hand. My opinion is for him to ask his GP about a second opinion. It does sound like a long time after the operation with no let up on the pain. Pain is usually greatly reduced after surgery and you just get the post op pain. Is the pain arthritis pain still? It could be nuropathic pain which can often happen after surgery. I would ask the GP for a different drug to try in the meantime. Naproxen is often used, i have been on this one myself. There are numerous drugs available and not all drugs suit everybody. Amitriptyline is another one that can help i currently take this at night as its as it helps with sleep. Gaberpentin is another one i take thou it doesn't suit everybody. He really needs to discuss another form of medication to try. Tumeric i have tried but had not effect at all. Steriods can help with some people thou not for me. A surgeon maynot try this as he as already had an operation and steriods are usually tried before an op, not after. I am not an expert but i have lots of experience with pain and drugs. Pain management clinics are also an option. He really needs to get to the bottom of why he is still suffering so much pain after an operation. Hoping he gets some answers and relief soon. 

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.