Pain medication.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can anyone that's had bowel resection with temporary iliostomy tell me how long they were on pain meds? I'm 4 weeks in, but still have half an endone in morning and half at night. Very small dose, but it makes such a difference, helps me eat and get moving. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm 4 weeks in from an open surgery.  My pain meds intake is almost over.  Depends on if I did too much to soon.  Right now  I'm taking 1 Norco at night but if I do too much I get spasms,  so 1 valium. I figure within a few days I'll be off them completely. 

• Posted

By the time I've changed this bag, showered etc, I feel sick and dizzy. I'm normally very fit and active . Always have been, but this has flattened me. Surgeon said dehydration a problem with iliostomies so I try to drink plenty. I can walk around quite well, did that soon after op. I feel quite sick a lot too, and the pain meds help with that. Mind you if I took a whole one I would feel sick! Can only take half. I know they are addictive and it does bother me . 

• Posted

Rhiannon, pain is such an individualized feeling; what one person can tolerate, another may be in great pain.  This should be between you and your doc.  Pain medicine is a blessing for those like you who have serious surgery.   Just be honest with yourself, it’s too easy to get hooked.   If you’re still in pain you may try more moving, sometimes that is the answer...
    • Posted

It's not just the pain, vic , it's the sickness and overall lousy feeling. The pain  meds help with it all. I know they are very addictive though and it worries me. I'll run out soon anyway and then I'll just have to manage . Main pain at the moment is the stoma site itself, it's still quite raw. 

• Posted

By the way Rhiannon, I got over that overall sick feeling by thinking it wasn’t going to be reversed so I was preparing for worst case because I wasn’t told until I woke up from surgery.  So I googled YouTube on how I was going to wear a bikini with my ostomy bag.  As it turns out they have flowered and colorful tape to put over the bag—of course it turns into this small little cute patch!!! Check out YouTube!  People survive -have fun- and in general it does not suck!!!!!  You are very lucky to have a reversal,... right??
    • Posted

Absolutely vic. Surgeon said after reversal, when everything settles, I should be back to normal. It's great news. I've been unwell for a while now, not knowing why. Just need to get there! Lol Big journey . 

• Posted

My surgery wasn't as intensive as yours or Vic's but the relief from the constant Diverticulitis pain and nausea immediately began to fade away after my surgery.  It's a long process of healing from the surgery but well worth it.  If it wasn't for my insurance lagging I would have had it done sooner.  It was a very close call.  Sounds like you have a solid grip on what needs to be done.  

• Posted

Thanks Glenda. Have only taken paracetamol today. And walking short distances around house/ garden. Then I'm very fatigued. Not feeling sick yet today, which is great. Hopefully moving in right direction. By the time I'm well again, it will be time for the reversal, ( more surgery) not looking forward to that, but apparently much simpler. ( hopefully) . 

• Posted

Thanks Glenda. Have only taken paracetamol today. And walking short distances around house/ garden. Then I'm very fatigued. Not feeling sick yet today, which is great. Hopefully moving in right direction. By the time I'm well again, it will be time for the reversal, ( more surgery) not looking forward to that, but apparently much simpler. ( hopefully) . 

• Posted

My own doctor said and is right walking is the best medication.  I actually have a high tolerance and try to ride it out. More times than not I always have left over pain killers.  But I was also told if I'm hurting bad that's what they're for.  I haven't had to take any today and have more energy.  Yesterday I had to give in because I was going into spasms,  just from trying to grocery shop with my bf. One day at a time and walk a little further. 

• Posted

I couldn't shop at all at moment . Doc said at least 7 weeks before I'll feel anywhere like normal. And my iliostomy bag is all over the place at the moment regarding output . 

• Posted

Rhiannon , I understand, and I’ve been there.  Stoma, bag, had it all.  I had my temporary  for almost one year and was very lucky to get it reversed .  Glenda’s right, as soon as you’re ready get out there and walk.
  • Posted

Yep, I think you are both right. I will try that today. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.