Pain medication

Posted , 8 users are following.

How long after ankle surgery did you get off pain meds? I dislocated and broke all three parts of ankle on 6-21-17. I had surgery on 6-23-17. I just now lowered it to 1 pill every four hours instead of 2 pills every four hours.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I guess it depends on a whole host of things; type of break, if your weight baring, swelling etc. I really don't think there is a right or wrong on how long after surgery you reduce them. Just try and adjust them accordingly to your pain levels. Let us all know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks. I think I'm doing good. Today feels like a turning mark -- 1 week and pain beginning to seem less excruciating. Still hurts though! Lol

• Posted

About four weeks Norco 10 3.25 Then At six Weeks Again After Some Weight Bearinn One At Night To Take The edge Off. Eight Weeks Now And Off Off Pain Meds Still Have Small Discharge At Incision About Half Inch Yet To Heal.
  • Posted

Hi Christina, Im 12 weeks in and still have to take pain killers now and agaim, all according to how much ive done during the day. They were full on and top of the list and was counting the hours to take more for the first 6weeks. Today I have been given the all go for the boot to come off and to slowly but surely get rid of the crutches too. Within a few hrs my foot swelled and pain tuned me to take pain killers. Everyone is different and we all have different pain thresholds, I just say follow your body and dont over do it. Its now a learn every day again for me, so day to day progess, but will try and push myself more every day....wishing you luck with your recovery. sandra x
  • Posted

OH Christina I am still on painkillers but not so often now. I take a couple of parecetemol daily. I broke my ankle on 1st February and had surgery on 4th February. Just take what you need, do not worry you are taking too much your doc and body will tell you if you take too much. I have always disliked having to take medication but sometimes you need it, Hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hey Christina I am also dealing with a trimalleolar fracture and dislocation at the moment. I was injured 6-12-17 and had surgery on 6-19-17. I was taking 5 mg of oxycodone last week every 3 hours of the day. I was in excruciating pain last week post surgery after the nerve block wore off. However this week I'm feeling somewhat better and have switched over to tylenol pain relief about twice a day. Just remember to keep your leg elevated as much as possible. Hope your ankle feels better and just try to be patient. Best wishes!

• Posted

I was chuckling to myself because I broke my left ankle in 3 places AND dislocated it! I did it on 4/17, had surgery on 4/26, and got my WB on 6/6/17. I was full weight bearing in four days w/ my cane. When I've overdone it, I took a pain pill at night to help me sleep. Be kind to yourself when it comes to your pain. It's a personal experience that only you can regulate. When your nit in pain, you're more likely to heal more quickly. When I got my boot on, I did 600 mg of Motrin am and pm, and remember that ice is your best friend. If your insurance covers PT, then take advantage of it while in your boot to see if you're on track. After that, it's just a matter of time. I'm sure you have plates and screws too. See if you can get those removed next year. Good Luck

• Posted

I was on gabapentin which is a nerve blocker 600 mg every 12 hours. I was also on Vicodin and it only took me a few weeks until I could lower my dose. Don't allow yourself to be in excruciating pain that slows down healing too but be aware of the fact that pain meds can be addictive. I'm 10 wks out of surgery and off Vicodin unless I need one at night. I'm still on the nerve blocker though. Good luck with your recovery and do not push your body. Allow it the time it needs to heal! 🙏🏼🙏🏼😇😇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.