Pain medication for chronic leg ulcers

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've got 3 chronic leg ulcers and I'm prescribed gabapentin 600mg 3x a day but the pain is still there all the time!! What pain medication should I be prescribed for the constent pain it is causing me?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yup, they are pretty much prescribing this drug for every kind of ailment now.  From depression, insomnia, carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve pain, migraines, etc., etc.,  Dishing it out like candy.  Look on this board and see how many different issues they are prescribing this for.  Ask yourself - Why.
  • Posted

My Primary informed Me Friday it's anew world out there when it comes to pain meds. No kidding. I've been cut back so much! Pain not controlled anymore! Gabapentin not only made My pain worse but the side effects made Me even sicker. no kidding! 20x in hospital last year and a half. Most started in ICU!  As I'm withdrawing from this lol non addictive med I'm not running to ER ever month!  This cns are dangerous and killing people. They need to look at those stats! Sorry for Your pain and if new issue good luck finding a Doctor willing to help You. just a suggestion. Since your taking gabapentin have Doctor keep eye on your labs.  Mine went from fine to an auto immune disease in a year. Addison's! Yep! Wore out my adrenal glands! Be careful on gabapentin and really get informed on this med!

• Posted

Hi there , I've had chronic leg ulcers for the past 10 years , the only thing that's kept me sane is the 360mgs MST every 12hrs and 80 mil of Oramorph each day , I'm also prescribed Gabapentin to help me sleep plus I'm prescribed Mitazapine . All in enough Meds to comatose most but as your body gets used to the Meds the pain is always there .

• Posted

I'm taking Gabapentin, 300 mg. 3X a day. I feel my heart racing, similar to an anxiety episode. Also feel very disoriented at times. I'm taking it to block nerve pain that causes severe headaches (from cervical spine fussion. I'm really concerned after reading about the withdrawal horrors. I stopped taking it for months and didn't experience any of those effects. Now that I have read about people's withdrawal experiences I'm afraid the power of suggestion will cause me to have these terrible symptoms. I'm planning to stop taking gab because it's just not doing what it was intended to. I guess I'll try tapering if I start experiencing those symptoms. Has anyone stopped gab and not had such a terrible reaction?

• Posted

I actually stopped once and then like idiot started back   This was before I knew all my problems stemmed from gabapentin and knew nothing about this med. I didn't feel any worse than I was already. Which was pretty bad anyway!  This time after reading into it... it's BAD!!  I think the power of suggestion plus knowing what it is has made it worse. Yet, I'm glad I know what I'm facing and the reason. I'm not running to ER everyday!  

• Posted

I just did a search for gab withdrawal symptoms. WOW! This drug should be taken off the market! It's horrible! I didn't read one positive statement about it. I'm getting off this poison. Thanks for your reply Rener!

• Posted

I had no idea gabapentin was such a dirty drug.

what is MST?

what DOES work?

this is a very painful condition, interferes with sleep. I can't get in a position where nothing is touching the damn ulcer. dressing it didn't help at ALL, made it worse.

I'm so frustrated, this is pretty low on my ailments list but high on the life interference scale.

any suggestions appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.