Pain meds?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed in May 2016 with RA after being hospitalized, was given Prednisone & Methotrexate & pain meds . Doing pretty well except when I have a flare up. Having flare up now with "severe" knee pain. Rheumatologist does not give pain meds, he believes pain can be controlled with meds. Any thoughts or suggestions on pain control???? I'm in a lot of pain.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I am n Methotrxate and Sulfasalazine alng with Folic Acid.  If I have pain I take Tylenol as suggested by my RHuematologist.
    • Posted

Hi Babyboomer, unfortunately Tylenol doesn't begin to help the pain when I have a flare up. The Doc has increased my Prednisone for this week & we'll see if that helps. Thank you & I hope you feel well!

• Posted

Prednisone works well.  I just don't lke the weight gain and plump face.

i may end up back on it but not yet.

I hope you get rid of your pain.  Take care.

• Posted

I've been on oxycodone and flexeril. I can use those as needed for pain. I've failed with MTX. I am going after I heal from MTX almost killing me, to a new Rheumy to find another RA med. not sure why your Rheumy wouldn't give pain med? You have to be in excruciating pain. I am so sorry.

• Posted

Thanks Tami, As for pain meds, I guess I'll find out??.

I too will be going to a different Rheumatologist end of the month, someone local & hopefully she will be more understanding of the pain situation.

Hope you have a great week!

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry you are in so much pain. When I was diagnosed my doctor recommended biologics right away to stop the pain and joint damage. I have no pain just a little stiff in the morning. Has your doctor said anything about biologics?

• Posted

I will be seeing a new Rheumatologist at the end of the month, someone local. I will discuss it with her. I don't have pain often, this is only my second flare up since May, but when I flare it comes in fast & hard! Thank you Janis, hope you continue to do well

• Posted

MTX first....that almost killed me. Had odd allergic reaction that built by the day after 2nd dose to hives, red swollen skin, swollen numb lips, closing throat, burning inside body. Scared me from using anything but good old opioids. I am changing Dics though so I'll ask for next step. My doc is old - maybe he is not necessarily up on all treatment. Arrogant as hell though. Not happy. After this reaction - NOT HAPPY at all when it took him 2 days to call back AFTER I called to say it landed me in hospital?! ER doc said - don't use it. Try different med. he said keep with and add Benadryl ...WTF?? Sorry mad as heck.

So I stay on Percocet and flexeril until new appt. and start process over.

• Posted

Seriously, OMG so sorry to hear what you went thru. I'll be okay, I just have to hang in there till I see new Dr. end of August. It's a woman & she is relatively young...I'll keep my fingers crossed. Take care of yourself & thank you.

• Posted

Thank you Janis, I will be discussing biologics during my next appointment. Hope you feel well
  • Posted

My rheumy said to never take Tylenol while on mtx due to increase risk of liver damage. I take Tramadol as needed. Not the best pain med but it does take the edge off the pain. Sorry you are in pain and hope you get relief soon. 
    • Posted

Thanks Kristin, I'll look into the Tramadol. Hope you continue to do well. RA is no joke

• Posted

I looked up the differences and tried to paste but this site wouldn't allow me to.  

• Posted

Hi

my rheumy thinks the same. They will probably add another med to the methotrexate as its not working effectively enough after 12 weeks.

I just took paracetamol every 4 hours day and night and it took the edge off a tiny bit.

I did have a second prednisone shot in the backside in the early days too as it was still so painful. My rheumy nurse on the helpline suggested it and GP was able to do it. But this is in the uk so may be different in another country.

sorry you ve got so much pain.

• Posted

Thank you Rowbirdie, feeling a little better this AM. Doc has increased my Prednisone this week, we'll see if it works. Hope you have a pain free week!

• Posted

Be sure you get your eye pressure checked while you are on Prednisone.  It raised mine, I was given eye drops and told it would go down when I got off the medication.  It did not do down, I now have glaucoma.  This was something I would never have thought about so be careful.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.