Pain Meds

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had my left THR on June 17 -- two weeks ago today!  My surgeon prescribed Oxycodone for pain and I got 200 5mg tabs.  I've been taking one tab every 4-5 hours since surgery.  My plan was to stay on that regime until I see my surgeon next Thursday.   Yesterday I had lunch with two friends who are nurses.  They both thought I should get off Oxycodone.  That it is too strong to be on for so long.  I have very little pain but that might be because I've been taking Oxy on a regular basis, not waiting until I felt like I needed it.    The surgeon also prescribed Tramadol and said when I thought I didn't need Oxycodone, I could start taking Tramadol.  I guess I assumed since he prescribed 200 tabs of the Oxy, he figured that I would be taking it for quite a while.  That would be like 5 weeks at least I think.  Would love to hear what others have done regarding pain meds and if you have any opinions about whether I should stay on Oxy or move down to the Tramadol.  Thanks.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yesterday I took only Tramadol all day -- one every 5 hours -- and my pain level was fine.  I did find that toward the end of the 5 hours, I was ready for something.     If I had read lyn1951's message earlier, I would have stayed on Oxycodone longer and weaned myself off it.  But I didn't take any Oxy yesterday and didn't have any of those side effects so I think I'm doing OK.  I'll watch for it today.  

• Posted

I am finding today that I feel a bit nauseous.  Think it's because this is day two on Tramadol and it's not sitting right with me?  I didn't feel like this on the Oxycodone.  I don't think it's anything I've eaten today.........but just keep feeling like I'm going to be sick.

• Posted

Last night is the first night that I woke up with pain -- seemed like incision pain.   I just have a feeling that the Oxycodone was handling the pain much better than Tramadol.  And I felt better on it.   I think I will try extending the time between doses.  Or as someone suggested, maybe taking the Oxy once in the morning and once at night and then filling in with Tramadol in between if there is little pain.  I don't want to be a wimp and over-take the pain meds......but neither do I want there to be pain.  It's a fine balance I'm sure.            I still have staples in and have them removed on Thursday.  I wonder if they are starting to hurt a bit and will feel better when they are removed.

• Posted

I had hip replaced two weeks ago. Hospital stopped Oct when I was discharged and gave me paracetamol and codeine. I soon realised that my body could not tolerate the codeine, and, after 4 days, paracetamol fave me really bad headaches. So I stopped all pain meds, and felt much better. Pain got less each day, now more stiff than painful. Perhaps I've been lucky, but if you can manage without the drugs, my advice would be to do so.

• Posted

Leslie

Over the months I have been on this forum many many patients have found themselves hooked or stuck on Oxy. We have had lots of discussions about on here, I personally know of my close friend who had real problems coming off the pain relief in the end and needed medical intervention.

Oxy is very addictive and very hard to stop if taken for long periods. Obviously you must take the pain relief you need, but, the nausea you experienced may be linked to your body going into withdrawal. It comes with all the usual symptoms of withdrawal, so if you are cutting back be prepared to feel unwell. A gradual reduction of dosage is the easiest way to cut down and then stop. 

I do think you need to listen to your body, but be aware your body may well be saying more oxy - which may be for the wrong reasons.

Take good care - and talk to your dr if worried. 

• Posted

Thanks, Rose.  I hadn't thought of the nausea I had being linked to withdrawal.  It certainly could be.   I will focus on the gradual reduction for sure.  I can tell that my overall pain level is so much lower this week that I certainly don't need as much as last week.      Interesting paragraph there about body might be saying more Oxy.....but for wrong reasons.  Yikes.  I'll be taking this seriously.  Thanks.  Hugs.  

P.S.  Prior to my hip surgery when my hip was so painful, my regular doctor started putting me on higher meds....though nothing as strong as Oxy.  But she said don't worry about addiction; we'll handle that if it happens.  Sort of helped me relax into it....even though the highest pain med I used was Arthrotec which isn't all that strong.

• Posted

The dr can certainly help patients to wean themselves away from oxy and other pain relief, they deal with it alot, but it is best avoided really.

Certainly for my dear friend it was not an easy ride at all as the situation was left too long, and he described feeling sick, shaky, headaches, feelings of anger and jittery..the whole withdrawal thing. When it happens to you these things are never easy!! I wouldn't want you to go through that. 

If you are thinking it is time to come off, reduce dosage than that is the voice I would listen to, it is quietly telling you that for a reason. You have recognised that this could not be good for you, and definitely not in the long run.

I really don't want to worry you, but felt I should be honest. 

Every week that passes things really will get so much better - you will soon be completely free of medication! x

• Posted

Start tapering off oxycodone immediately, Cut your intake in half for a week, then half again the next week. Starting week three, no more oxys. Substitute Aleve or Advil for the oxys. You are at risk for addiction with taking that amount of opioid meds each day. Best wishes on your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.