Pain & more pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

i obviously overdid it today as now I can't put any pressure whatsoever on my foot. Day two of PWB in boot & im done. My ankle is swollen & hurts like heck. Every time I step down on it, I get sharp pains. Please tell me this is normal. I've been icing & elevating all day to no avail. The swelling doesn't seem to want to go down. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I'm so sorry you are having such difficulties.  I can't remember whether you said you were using a walker or crutches or just walking with the boot.

I think it's probably really easy to overdo it because we have been unable to do much for so long and this is a big step to getting our independence back.

Why not give your foot a break for a day or so and rest?  Have you tried soaking it in epsom salts, maybe that would take the edge off the pain and help with the swelling.

I wish I had something brilliant to say that would help, but know my positive thoughts are coming your way during this ugly, unpleasant time.

Hang in there best you can...you have many supporters on this site which is wonderful when you're down or need answers.

• Posted

Hi Deb,

im on crutches which I'm desperate to get off as they're killing my wrists. I have been soaking it in Epson salt bath & im also putting an anti inflammatory cream on it now that it's fused. I went to the grocery store & drugstore today. How dumb can you be? I have physio in the morning so I hope he's gentle with me. I learnt my lesson. Slow & steady. It's not going to happen over night. 

• Posted

Hi Barb, I am sorry to say it is normal. I was 7 weeks NWB and I really thought that when the cast was off I would be 'normal'. LOL then my consultant told me it would be 12 months before the swelling went down, my leg was really swollen as well, but that got back to normal after about 5/6 months. It still hurts when I put my foot down and I am talking 8 months later, but I did have surgery. Rest Ice Elevate is still my daily routine, I have a bed wedge which elevates my foot in bed and I really notice when I have not used it my ankle is a little redder.

Good luck Barb, hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Thanks Rusty. Eight months later?? Oh no. I just keep thinking if I try harder, it will get better faster. I guess not. After physio tomorrow, I'm staying seated all day. 

• Posted

Hi Barb,,

​I am sorry you are going through the pain. I am 3 weeks in my boot yesterday I am full weight bearing. I went through the pain really bad around day 6 or 7 and the swelling is crazy. I started PT  week after being in the boot which I found helps so much. I soak and my surgeon ordered me like 4 topical creams which help too. I am hoping to get the boot off next Wednesday. I also found when I elevated it that helped too. I wish you the best,

Danette

• Posted

Hi barb. I did the same once out of the boot. Thought I would be able to loads!! Couldn't wait to cook a roast dinner, but by God it killed me just standing to do all the veg then back and forth checking everything, took me few days to get over it. I'm. Nearly 6mths in and still finding it hard if I'm on my feet too long. Can't walk very far ad pain is bad, swelling seems to be going dwn a lot now, no need to ice any more. Do my Epsom salt soaks every evening which helps for hour or two. My biggest problem is the heel, it's do tight which makes me walk like a spaz with really bad limp.. Hate it. Physio tomorrow for first time in, 5weeks but don't think she will be happy with progress. 😔. Get your physio done tomorrow too and then give yourself a warm foot soak and rest up for the rest of the day. We all try to rush things but our body soon tells us when we over do it. Listen to your pain and STOP. Don't want to go backwards. Good luck for both of us with our physio sessions tomorrow. Sx

• Posted

Thank you Sandra. This really really sucks. I'd love to be able to cook a turkey dinner but it's not happening. My husband is a horrible cook. He'd rather eat a peanut butter sandwich than have to cook a meal. He's not a multitasker that's for sure. Good luck with your physio tomorrow. Why does it have to take so long for things to heal? To think I gave to go through this again next year is pretty frightening. 

• Posted

You'd day will cone for that nice roast dinner. I got so fed up of eating savoury rice n chicken which is all my son could cook for the first 8 weeks when home from hospital and I was stuck up in bed as I couldn't get dwn the stairs without help. My visits to hospital for cast changes took me nearly 40mins to get out if the house with my daughters help. Getting back n was much harder because if the steps in then the stairs back up to my bed!!! Oh God just going back to those days gives me shudders. Physio today was in and out. No exercise, just talk. She was happy with the way my ankle is, but concerned about the movement in my heel. Due to the ligament in my knee. So she is now writing again to the knee surgeon and also my doctor so he's bombarded from both. So it's hard to take in that until I get the knee operated on then the heel problems won't go away. Hope yours went well. Sx

• Posted

Hang in there! The first week of walking is the worst and it feels like it's never going to get better. It will. Elevate and ice. I found the aircast cryocast to be extremely helpful at the end of the day and throughout. Anything like that really. Sounds like some pain medicine is in order as well. Don't try to be too tough if you are smile It definitely sounds like it's time for you to rest. I will say, from my own recovery, it was helpful to use my ankle everyday in some way or another. The more I used it the better all of the symptoms-swelling, pain, range of motion-were. I hope you get some relief. Hang in there is the pits right now.

• Posted

HI I am finally walking in 2 regular shoes after breaking left ankle bimalleolar fracture 7-17-17, Surgery 7-27, Cast on 8-7, Cast off 9-1 in Boot . Now 9-21 walking. I elevated a lot when NWB , give it a rest elevate, the others have given great advice. I discovered magnesium oil with Msm . I massaged my foot, heal and ankle with it and it helped.
  • Posted

Hey Barb,

Had my first physio appt. today -- went well, the foot was reasonably cooperative.

Was just wondering how you were doing?  Is the pain any better today?  I hope you are resting and that is helping things a bit.

Just thought I'd check up on you!

• Posted

Hi Deb, I'm so glad to hear that physio went well for you. I really think it's a necessary evil. 

Im finally back to where I started after my first physio appointment on Wednesday I was in pretty rough shape on Thursday.  Today I went to physio & he had a hard time manipulating my foot as it was so painful. It felt better when I left though. I didn't do much all day so it feels pretty good right now. 

Im going to take this slow & easy. I won't do that to myself again. 

• Posted

When the doctor said I could PWB, I thought I had two small pebbles in my boot! I was on my feet almost 8 hours Tuesday and I thought my ankle was going to pop!
  • Posted

I had terrible swelling and couldn't lift my leg into bed. Since then I had vein ablations to seal off the veins with leaky valves. My doctor didn't think it would help but it has made all the difference in the world!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.