Pain near right hip 9 months after right TKR!! Help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. It's 9 months since my TKR and for the last 3/4 months I have been getting aching type pain at the very top of my thigh, near my pelvis/hip. No painkillers seem to help. Could it be related to the TKR? My recovery from TKR has been very slow and painful. I still take opiates . I just can't believe I;'m still in so much pain!! cry

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have pain in my right hip on walking, right tkr three years ago, left tkr august last year.

When I had xray, before having left knee done, I was told I had arthritis in my right hip, that was causing the pain.

It doesn't hurt apart from when I gonfor a short walk.

I don't feel as though I need a new hip,and certainly don't relish the thought of more surgery. I had gynae surgery in april which put me back in my knee recovery, though knees fine now, if a bit stiff.

I was told I coukd have injections iinto my hip if needed, he seemed surprised that I wasn't in much pain.

• Posted

Wow Laura! Both knees done! Well done! Yes it seems once we have arthritis in us, it just keeps spreading...like rust in a car!! That's how I always think of it! I agree with you about not wanting more surgery. I guess it comes down to how much pain we are in with the arthritis compared to pain of surgery. Thanks for your input. Take care. 

• Posted

I cope quite well with pain and surgery, having had spinal surgery and arthritis in my back for thirty years, so can't walk far anyway.

I think once you've had a big surgery, any others you just somehow get used to living with pain, and the bonus with the knee surgery was I knew it would get better. It was, for me anyway, just mechanical. The ops I had in Aoril, oophrectomy and prolapse repair have taken so much more out of me. Hopefully I will get a year without any medical surgeries, I think my body needs it to recover properly.

• Posted

with all you have been through, you may be limping without realizing it

or

your leg may have shortened a tad...I put heel lifts in my shoe...

hugs

• Posted

Maybe. I can walk ok, just not very far, then need to use a stick, purely because my groin aches and I'm making a conscious effort to lift my leg using my hip.

I don't think I limp, it's hard to tell.

• Posted

it is better to use a crutch, stick, cane...than it is to hold yourself so stiff and push.

Be kind to your new baby joint...slow and steady will win the race...hugs

• Posted

poor you i do get pain in my hip when i lay on it i do think the tkr does effect it
    • Posted

me too Dianne. As I said earlier, I remember people saying on here about hip pain after TKR because of how we limp and hobble around for so many months after surgery. It makes sense I guess. sad

• Posted

Yes I was very lucky and am happy with the end result.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Shan I'm still only at 7 weeks post op but also have had hip pain on the operated side. My therapist says it's because I use the wrong muscles walking & exercising. I have to think to use the quads not hip flexor muscle. Even walking I have to really concentrate to bend & straighten using the correct muscles. The trouble is I was a few years unable to bend or straighten the leg so re learning to walk is hard. Nobody tells you how hard this op is or how hard rehab is.

I was told at 56 I was too young to have tkr that was 8 years ago I will be 64 this year! Still need to have the left leg done! When I can get down to the chemist I am going to try to get the neoprene knee compression sleeve as recommended by ihavenonickname. Reading the stories of people on here I consider myself lucky as my knee isn't too painful most of the time👍, & I am getting more mobile (even managed a visit to M&S with my daughter),just the exhaustion really. I feel sometimes like I'm sleepwalking through life. If I had my life over would I do this again? Yes, but would fight the NHS to get it done earlier. I wish you all the best on your recovery, keep your chin up & listen to what others on here are saying - chicomarx & ihavenonickname give good advice.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas (let everyone else do the work for you).🎄😀

XX

• Posted

I had TKR 4 and a half years ago.  I was 61 at the time.  Had to really push to get it done (they said I was young).

However I had an excellent consultant and he did say (once he had operated) that the knee was very bad and needed replacing.

Regarding walking properly, before I had my left knee replaced I was also suffering with arthritis in my right ankle. Since TKR my right ankle is also considerably better and I think this is just because I am distributing weight better when walking.

Hope that is helpful and makes sense.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Oh you're such a sweet thing Marilyn!! Wow, only 7 weeks for you!! You have such a positive outlook being so soon after surgery! You go girl!!! I also have to get my left knee done eventually......but to be totally honest, it will take me to be in such pain that I can't walk before I put myself through this again!! You're doing really well to not have much pain at this stage. I envy you! As I said to other people today, some of us sail through this surgery...others do not! I was only given 12 days notice before my surgery! If I had more time I know now that  I would have spent that time getting into better shape physically and mentally. But we can't turn back the clock. I also wish you  a great recovery and have an awesome Christmas! cheesygrinxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah what you said makes absolute sense. I am looking forward to being further down the old road to recovery. You bring light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you😊

• Posted

Hi Shan with tkr you just gotta be positive! I am lucky I had 4 weeks to prepare for my op & tried to exercise & stretch even my bad old knees, I also was seeing a chiropractor & I am giving a lot of my recovery to her. I know I'm not there yet, I have my ups & downs like everyone else here but, you guys really help. It is good to know that what I am experiencing is 'normal' whatever normal is??

Keep smiling, we'll all get there

Keep in touch

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.