Pain never worse than 3 but never fully heals! Should I get a Sphincterotomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had an anal fissure since April. Unbelievable pain - average 7/10, missed few days of work, taking up to 12 advil a day, always on heating pad. Following docs orders to take Miralax and Metamucil every night. Used Diltiazem/Nifedipine ointment 3x a day. Took muscle relaxer at night.

Finally in June had botox. At first made things worse 8-9/10. After about 3 weeks things started to calm down. Now I am at a point where bowel movements are uncomfortable but not painful. I take 3 advil and am pain free rest of the day. Bleeds maybe 1x every 10 days or so. It just won't heal completely.

Seen 2 GI surgeons and they say the same thing. Its not going to heal on its own. So if I want closure I need the surgery.

I'm scared its going to bring back the intense pain.

Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Benny sorry for what you going true. 1 thing I can tell you that LIS you will feel instantly beter. Injection never a good solution. I am my self had LIS and know recovered I will advise you to go for it. Few days discomfort nothing compare to what you gone true. In my case when I had LIS i thought the haven’t done the opp. Never  felt anything . But what I went true I can tell you that everything is in your mind , trust me the best thing I done against CAF is LIS . Good luck
  • Posted

Same situation here as far as pain, a little different approach ...

After about  months of pain and 5 different doctors, of wich the worst was a prostate exam while already in excruciating pain , prescribed antibiotics wich were followed by terrible dihareea and even more pain.

I decided to do my own research ...

Bought a squatty potty , magnesium and petroleum creams, clean before bm, apply both creams, replace toilet paper with baby  wet wipes , repeat the process after the BM and also use a little Vicks vapor rubb( learn this from a lady on the forum).

Of course diet on point, plenty of water , never used stool softeners always have smooth and soft BM.

Thanks God I'm now pain free and it the most relief I've ever felt.

Good luck and hope you'll find anything useful in my reply.

• Posted

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.