Pain of arthritis in knee.

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI

Im a 58 yr old female who has just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees. This is so painful and had stopped my life in its tracks . im not able to work at moment as i walk with a crutch and limp Hospital suggesed i use a crutch . Anyone have any remedies?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I AM 48 and have osteoarthritis in both knees and a meniscus tear. I AM doing physical therapy for my tear and am in the process of losing weight (not sure if you are overweight). CBD oils help some too. HOPE you find some relief.

• Posted

well done Jasmine for trying to lose weight - my hubby has terrible knee problems, similar to you with OA and meniscus tear, and has fluid build up regularly. He recently had a heart attack and is now on a strict diet leading up to heart surgery and has begun to lose weight. He's noticed that his knees are much less painful now he's lost some weight - the wear and tear on knees is awful even without extra weight. Good luck hon.

• Posted

Thank you. I wish your husband the best with his surgery. I gotta do something, can't live like this.

• Posted

Hi Kim, so sorry to hear of your pain, I sympathise. Worth giving this a try - not a cure but has definitely helped reduced my joint inflammation a lot: mince up some fresh ginger and mix it with body lotion or handcream or similar and smear it all over your knee joint. Wrap it up in something like a loose bandage or joint sock and leave it on, overnight if possible, then just wash it off in the shower. I do it for my thumb joints which got to such an excrutiating point with the pain I wanted my arms chopped off. Now they just ache, no sharp searing pain anymore and I can even use my can opener again 😃 Ginger is a wonderful anti inflammatory - both to eat/drink or to massage into the joints. Even if it doesnt work, it'll make your skin feel nice.

• Posted

Go see an orthopedist or rheumatoid doctor. Have them drain your knees if needed and then a cortisone shot in each.

I know this pain is god awful and it will not go away. i have had this done three different times in the past years. First time i was a bit younger then you.

Good luck and let me know how you do. There is a new cortisone shot that came out in 2017 that lasts longer then the regular cortisone injection but is pretty pricey, but try the other first.

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks for advice, im waiting to hear from Physio. To be honest no one seems bothered about my pain. I need to find work, but cant like this, I lost my hubby 5months ago. And feel alone

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what you mean about noone seems to care about the pain, exactly how I feel. It's like "yes, you're going to have pain" and I just have to deal with it. I'm not asking for a miracle, just help dealing with the pain. I wish you the best. The cortisone shot with lidocaine I recently got is helping for now.

• Posted

I dont think anyone without arthritis can understand the pain issue - we tell them its unbearable and they think of bad headaches or a sprain etc., and tell us to take a pill. Without wishing ill on anyone, even doctors, they should walk a mile in our shoes.

• Posted

Amen! Well stated. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and have for a few years as I need to lose weight for the knee replacements. The pain is unreal!!!

• Posted

I really sympathise Christian - it's a vicious circle though isnt it - losing weight will both improve the strain on the joints and make surgery available but it isnt just about food intake, it involves increasing exercise but that's not always possible if the knee issue is so bad it's hard to move around in the first place. Chicken and egg situation.

• Posted

Go see an orthopedist or rheumatoid doctor. Have them drain your knees if needed and then a cortisone shot in each.

I know this pain is god awful and it will not go away. i have had this done three different times in the past years. First time i was a bit younger then you.

Good luck and let me know how you do. There is a new cortisone shot that came out in 2017 that lasts longer then the regular cortisone injection but is pretty pricey, but try the other first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.