Pain off and on lower left abdomen. Diverticulitis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Pain in left abdomen. Finally to ER 2 days ago.  had CAT scan which showed nothing unusual. Given Tramadol for pain and sent home. Pain still there off an on. My Dr son in law put me on Cipro and Flygel last night Not better. I’ve had diverticulitis before and it’s no fun. I have no fever just pain. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Did you have a CT scan with the dye or without?  I am allergic to the dye and the next CT scan I get (next flare up) they are not going to use the dye.  I am worried that without the dye they might miss something.
    • Posted

The CAT scan was with dye. Do they know you are allergic to the dye? If it’s a life threading allergy I’d be very careful about taking the dye. Hopefully you won’t need it. 
    • Posted

Thanks for answering.  I hope you feel better soon.  This disease is so tricky and it seems the doctors don’t really have the answers sometimes.  They do know I am allergic so they won’t use the dye again my doctor said.

Best wishes and prayers for you!  

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

You need more days on the antibiotics to see if they will help? Did the hospital do blood work? If not your dr. can tell from the blood if you need to continue on those antibiotics. Try clear liquids for 2 days to rest your bowel. Sometimes that helps and then soft foods with no fiber. Diverticulitis can be just inflamation too but if the pain gets worse go back to the hospital. I hope this helps and I hope you feel better very soon.

Julie

• Posted

Thank you very much for the advice. You are spot on. I get so upset when this happens i almost panic.. the pain being pretty bad. I will certainly take pro- biotics. Clean up my diet with soft foods. I am not a fan of antibiotics but started them last night so must take the complete round this time. You have helped me a lot. The prayers are THE best. I’m a Jesus fan too! Praise God for people like you. I’m so glad I found this site. God bless!
  • Posted

Good cat scan, no fever..any loose stool or bleeding? If not, personally.. I wouldn't be taking antiobiotics.

Are you taking probiotics and carefully choosing your diet avoiding seeds, skins, fried foods...staying well hydrated? Maybe a anti-spasmotic may provide some relief, bentyl has given me relief at times when experiencing spasms which seem to come and go at times, probably due to bad choices poss causing some irritation.

Bottom line is, some of these intermittent symptoms can cause some anxiety, best to just pull back a bit with your diet choosing soft, well cooked options, stay well hydrated and give your bowels a rest.

For the anxiousness, prayer works well..may God give you peace and healing in the name of Jesus.

• Posted

It takes more than a day on antibiotics to see improvement.  Give it a chance to work and stay on a light diet.  All soft foods.
  • Posted

This is such a tricky disease. My story is pretty long but i ended up with a major infection last year. In hospital etc. Felt ill for 6 months afterwards. Nothing on blood work ( which gastro docs go by). Ended up telling him i was fed up. Long story short. Virtual colonoscopy showed up something suspicious. Sent to surgeon thank goodness. He operated, found abscess and huge mass of inflammatory material. Removed all of that and part of bowel. So strange nothing showed up on bloods and i felt awful. Surgeon said he would have done feacal tests. There is a lot of unknown about this disease i think.
  • Posted

It will take a few days for the antibiotic to work.  Give it some time and try a liquid diet.  I think you will then begin feeling better.  I do think it is an attack even without the fever.  I am just recovering from an attack without fever.  I tried not doing the antibiotics for a week with a liquid diet but pain still there so I finally started the dreaded antibiotics.  I began to feel better after 3-4 days on the antibiotic.  I am going by the familiar pain of the attack.  My Dr did not have me do blood work this time because he says it sometimes comes back normal even during an attack.  I did not have fever this time but I recognized the pain.  

I hope you feel better. Give yourself a few days and if you do not improve go back to the Dr.

• Posted

I agree Georgie.  I do exactly as you do if I don’t get better in a day or two.  Then I know it’s severe enough for antibiotics.
  • Posted

I don’t usually have a fever when I get a flare up, just pain. For me the pain takes a lot longer than 2 days to subside after I start antibiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.