Pain on left hand side (TAH/BSO (right))

Posted , 3 users are following.

I will be 4 weeks post op (TAH and BSO) this Wednesday and am finally getting over the painful wind and build up to the toilet (number 2), however I am getting a serious pain in my left hand side across from my belly button.

The thing is, and I know they would've pushed and pulled everything around during the operation, but I did not have my left ovary removed as that was removed 15 years ago.

I was sitting down quite a bit yesterday and wondered if that was anything to do with it.  It is like an ache or stretching feeling, like a small water balloon thats at its capacity, and cant stretch any further.

Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could be?  Dont believe it is an infection (just got over one of those too!) and its not too painful to sit down, but walking around I can feel it.

Not that I've done much, but could i have over done it?

Thank you all,

Sue

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm 11 weeks post op and I had pain on one side more than the other which was the opposite side to where all the bruising was we don't know what they do to us while we're asleep but if you're worried speak to someone either at your doctors if they're open on Saturdays or phone the hospital ward which you were on they'll put your mind at rest 
  • Posted

i'm 5 weeks post op on Monday 18.5.15.  During week 4 i kept getting a pain on my left hand side just above my waist and going around my back and it was like a really really bad stitch and if i was walking when i got it i had to hang onto something for support and found pressing the whole of my hand against point where pain seemed to be radiating from helped and then resting for a couple of hours took it away, this happeed about 3 or 4 times and i've not had it since although i never had any apins anywhere before op and seem to have now started suffering back aches but i must admit i'm am doing everything normally now except hoovering, driving or lifting anything heavy so i'm changing beds, hanging out washing cleaning and everything so could be we are overdoing it??
    • Posted

Hi Neverstaysstill

Oh my gosh, I'm becoming a complete nag,rolleyes because I seem to be telling everyone off tonight!  you are doing far too much, your poor body is trying to tell you to slow down.  You are not supposed to change beds until at least Week 8, and depending on the weight of the washing, hanging that out can be too much.  Walk as much as you want, but housework slowly, slowly, I know with your 'Username' how can I expect anything else, but as I have just said to Gail my surgeon calls weeks 6 - 8 the 'dangerzone' and you seem to have entered it at Week 5.  It is when we are feeling better and think we are fit and try to do everything, get to cocky and injure ourselves.  You are still healing inside and you can do damage, so please take it easy, we are all doing so well, it would be awful if we get to the last hurdle and we mess up.  

Sorry lecture now over, have a lovely 'restful' weekend.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline,

I don't mind being nagged, honest.

You are only saying what everyone else is saying to me.

As per the username, loads to be done and not enough time to do it all.

In my warped mind i seem to think that the quicker i can get back to doing everything normally the better, i'm not being silly and not lifting anything heavy, with the washing i don't carry it all out in one go and if its things like towels or bedding it can take me 4 trips from kitchen to garden to hang it out.  Hubby is mopping and hoovering ish and cooking the occassional meal and i'm picking up the rest as he's now back at work.  I promise i won't do anything silly on purpose as i want to get back to work asap as so bored at home.

xx

• Posted

Hi Neverstaysstill

You are forgiven,your system sounds pretty good with some help from hubby.  What has surprised me is the latest fad to hit the keep fit market is 'stairs' since my op and I have had to stop zumba etc I have been using the stairs in my block of flats as my workout, now I find it is the No 1 miracle for the body, I think I should be on commission, I thought of it first!  I have to say I think my fitness level is slightly up on what it used to be, so I think the stairs will be staying in the programme, even though the neighbours think I have lost it completely!  

Keep up the good work, you will soon be back at work.  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

I agree stairs are a wondeful invention lol.  I have been up and down them at least 15 times today as tidying our spare room (otherwise known as the junk room) and as i'm being good and not lifting anything heavier than about 6 to10lbs i'm having to do many trips to the bin or recycling bag i have downstairs.  We didn't get a chance to put the xmas decs away as they live in the loft and Tony had his Heart Attack on 4.1.15 and he has to haul himself up there using a step ladder so couldn't do it until now really but then again its not long until next xmas so perhaps we should leave where they are... Keep on climbing xxx
    • Posted

Hi Neverstaysstill 

How is Tony recovering from his heart attack?  It must have been a terrible fright for both of you.  

I would leave the Christmas decs and start early for this Christmas.  It sounds like you are keeping very fit sorting out your spare room.  I can see housework becoming our fit keep system! 

I'm doing 35 flights a day, but tomorrow I am 8 weeks so I will go up to 40 flights a day.  I think I have become addicted now!

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Tony is doing fantastic, no alcohol since heart attack, gone down from 40 fags a day to between 10 and 12 and lost just over 2.5 stone so i'm getting a new and improved version of him and he seems a lot happier, i don't think he realised how ill he as and was using any vice to try and make himself feel better.  I've done loads today and still no pain.

I drove today (few days earlier than i should but it felt so good to be independent) haven't told himself though lol.

• Posted

Hi Neverstaysstill

Wow tell Tony his improvement is very impressive, well done.  Gosh there will be two of you new and improved, there will be no stopping you both.  razz

Excellent I bet it felt really good to be behind the wheel again.  Isn't it lovely to get your independence back.  I'm 8 weeks tomorrow so I am going to start gently jigging about to music, started Tai Chi last week, amazing I think we are all gradually getting our lives back!  rolleyes

I really do think it is brilliant how your Tony has turned his lifestyle around.  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

May have overdone it. I had lot of groin pain from near hip into groin post op. Was only on left side but def worse when walking more and doing more. If I took it easier for a day then it would settle again. Seems to have settled now. Not sure why but assumed was just muscle pain or tendons or something where starting to increase activity after surgery. Asked consultant and he was not too worried but it did settle on its own over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.