Pain on lower inside knee...

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm continuing to have pain on the inside area below my knee, so probably a tendon or something, as not really where the new knee is located.  I am about 12 weeks post op PKR on this knee.  It comes and goes.  I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas where we did a lot of walking and it's very sore.  I do 4 - 5 miles a day on my stationary bike and some leg lifts for my exercises.  I've already had my post op appt. and the doc says all looks great.  Just can't seem to get rid of this one area that just hurts when I put weight on my knee.  Weird though, because somedays it's gone and others it very painful.  I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if they were able to work it out with any kind of stretches or something to ease it?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Retha!

Many on here have mentioned strange pains coming and going at various times. I have experienced this, too! For example, my left leg, (first knee done in June- TKR) began hurting on the inside part of the knee in the middle of the night a couple nights ago. This is the part that hurt SO BADLY eight months ago following surgery. It has been strange. Why NOW? After I move more, it feels better.

Also I often get pain sensations in weird places on my legs. They come, they go.

Several people have mentioned that the nerves are in the process of healing. I DO still have some numbness, but it is lessening. Maybe it is the nerves. Could be the muscles, ligaments, just about ANYTHING in there!

My solutions are 1) Get up, move around, walk a bit. I even do this at night.

2) After walking around a bit, I stretch and stretch and stretch!

I try to stay moving frequently throughout the day and night. Being in one position too long brings in stiffness which can be as annoying (well, ALMOST!) as pain!

Maybe you overdid it in Vegas! I tend to push beyond what I probably should on a lot of days. Having two knees that don't hurt tends to keep me wanting to play catch up after so many years of PAIN and not being able to do much of what I wanted to do!

Knee replacement is probably involving so many more body parts than ANY of us could ever imagine! Maybe the weird pains are coming from many of those body parts that are in shock that they are MOVING AGAIN! 😁🙌😱

Hope some of this has been helpful!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

Yes, I thought it was probably normal.  Looking forward to all this "normal" pain to be gone!!!  smile  What kind of stretches do you do?  I have never had a PT since I had PKRs.  My doc said I could do it on my own and I have done fine but feel like I'm not sure how much I can stretch without hurting something in there!  

I'm sure I overdid it in Vegas!  Plus, I own a rehab business and I am on my feet all day.  Up and down ladders and that fun stuff.  It's really just an aggravation but I'm sure I push the limits on my rehab!

Thanks for your input again.  Always helpful!

R

• Posted

rethaT im amazed that after only 12wks you are doing up to 5 miles on the stationary bike a day !! plus you are up and down ladders !! it deffinatly sounds like your over doing things .maybe just because you think its a pkr that its not the same as a tkr .???? not so you have had a bone severed just the same tendons and ligaments plus muscles all need to heal .so take a step back ,keep stretching and bending but dont kill yourself trying to get back to normal .it will take time.  you just have to let it  take its course .
    • Posted

rethaT im amazed that after only 12wks you are doing up to 5 miles on the stationary bike a day !! plus you are up and down ladders !! it deffinatly sounds like your over doing things .maybe just because you think its a pkr that its not the same as a tkr .???? not so you have had a bone severed just the same tendons and ligaments plus muscles all need to heal .so take a step back ,keep stretching and bending but dont kill yourself trying to get back to normal .it will take time.  you just have to let it  take its course .
    • Posted

Hi Retha!

As far as stretching goes, I never leave my bed in the morning until I stretch my legs out straight, flex my quads and stretch some more. Then I do pelvic tilts to the left, and to the right, repeating and holding each for a good minute or so. Next, I lay on my back and bring my right leg over my body to do a twist. This really helps the back! I do my left leg over toward the right and hold that position for at least a minute. Next, I get my body close to the right side of the mattress and dangle my whole leg towards the floor. This stretches my right hip and feels SO GOOD! It helps my sciatic nerve, too, which can flare from time to time. I do the same with my left leg.

Throughput the day I stretch putting one foot up on the first step then leaning into the stretch very slowly. I continue to ease further into the stretch and hold that for about a minute. I do the same with my other leg.

Another stretch I do throughout the day is lifting my foot to my toes and then back down. I do this standing and also when I am seated. I also take my one leg, wrap it around the other and squeeze the top leg , pulling in a bit as I am seated. This helps the bend.

Sitting in my chair I put my legs on the ottoman and do the stretch I do in bed in the morning as I flex my quads. This "Ottoman Training" has helped me get my leg straight which has provided me with a more natural walking gait. Over the years of PAIN I had compensated for KNEES that had bones rubbing against other bones. I realized just a short time ago that I was walking with knees bent so that the bones were touching a bit less. The result? Legs that hasn't been STRAIGHT for probably at least five years!

Stretching really helps! It needs to be done often, so I work it into my day. It is also very important to go very slowly. When you do, you will feel your muscles and ligaments get longer and more flexible. Holding the stretch gives you more strength overall and can even make you SWEAT!

Sounds like with all the climbing you do, stretching would be essential to keep you limber and less apt to injure yourself.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thank you, Cheryl!  I used to do Yoga and would love to get back in to it but I was told, by a friend, not to do it yet.  That is what made me think stretching would not be a good thing and I might hurt something.  I will use your stretches.  I do the simple stretches they sent me home from the hospital with but I want to do more.  I'm able to straighten my knees very well but still have a bit of an issue bending.  I'm probably about 120-130 bend, but not without a little pain.  How is your bend?  

I also had the bone on bone pain for about 7 years and feel like I am having to learn to walk again as well.  I know I will get there but it helps to see where other people are so that I can see if I'm keeping up or falling behind.  

Thanks again for your help!

• Posted

Hi Retha!

I have done yoga, too! Of course I NEVER could manage the extreme positions those amazing instructors achieved, but basic poses helped me feel lots more flexible as the arthritis was starting to rear its ugly head!

Easing into stretches slowly and feeling the ability to go deeper into them has always been a worthwhile feeling of accomplishment for me. Feeling that nice looseness rather than stiffness.is quite welcome!

I haven't had my BEND measured since I completed Physical Therapy with my right knee in December. When I had my last evaluation, my BEND was 110 on my left and 115 on my right. Doc was pretty pleased as were my therapists. These numbers allow me to sit, then stand up, get into the car and out again, and crawl into restaurant booths that have those annoying legs that you have to lift your feet over AS you are also bending your knees to sit! (A few months after surgery when I actually could maneuver myself into one of those booths was a real RED-LETTER DAY for me!)

I actually didn't realize how bad my knees were. I just KNEW that I had constant pain, this crunching sound, and often would become physically ill due to the PAIN radiating upwards and downwards from each KNEE. Turns out I had bone spurs and was literally GRINDING THEM OFF! (*SHUDDER*)!!!!!

About five years of REALLY bad pain finally got me back to Doc. When I asked him if arthroscopic surgery would fix my problem, he sat back in his chair, looked at me, and said, "Cheryl, that ship has sailed!!!" I was actually EXCITED when the words, "You are a candidate for Total Knee Replacement" came out of his mouth! We scheduled my surgery for three weeks from that day!

Honestly, I thought I would need to jump through a few more insurance hoops BEFORE they FINALLY addressed the problem. I was SO GLAD to be getting surgery! About four months after my first surgery, I went in for # 2. Haven't regretted either surgery!

I definitely have had to practice walking! I apparently REALLY messed up my gait by favoring my two extremely painful knees. I was walking with bent knees without even noticing it. I just KNEW that I did what I needed to do to KEEP GOING! Even now, eight months in with #1 and nearly five months in with #2 , I am constantly asking my husband and family if I am walking normally. I work hard on the leg straightening which helps me keep my improved stride as I walk.

Each person is different. Heck, even each KNEE on the same body is different! Just do what you can without harming yourself. Be patient with yourself, and realize that some days will be better than others. On rough days give yourself permission to REST and treat yourself to a nice cup of tea. Let someone else climb that ladder, or do it after you stretch a bit if you feel stiff. It will all get better and better.

You sound like a very hard worker. You have already put that same philosophy into your KNEES!

Wishing you much success as you forge ahead with your business!

Keep in touch, OK?

• Posted

Hi Retha I am amazed at what you can do after 12 weeks, even when I do a bit of housework I am in agony as soon as I rest. There is no way I could do all that exercise. I wish I could but you can't rush these things. I saw my physiotherapist today and he said I was doing well but it's still early days and I have got to accept it's going to take a long time to recover. I am back on cocodamol at night to see if I can get some sleep. I have got pillow for my knee and I have gone to bed early to see if that helps. I wish you well but don't overdo things, I was told today if it says repeat exercises ten times it means that and twenty won't get me better any quicker. Best wishes Jannette
  • Posted

I agree with others who have replied. Sounds like ur doing much too much!! I'm at 12 weeks post op today and if I do too much I pay for it. Though I have had TKR. I would imagine pkr is somewhat similar.

there is a lot of nerve, muscle and blood vessel regeneration. The pain could come from almost anything. 

Hope things improve for you.

• Posted

I agree, I probably do overdo it a little, but I'm so tired of being down, I can't wait to get back in the game!  I had my first PKR done Sept. 17th and then the 2nd one done on Dec 18th.  I felt like I was housebound for six months!  I am self employed, so when I get too uncomfortable I come home and rest.  I appreciate all of your responses and believe me, I am listening!  My biggest issue is this sensitive area below my knee.  I'm sure it's probably a tendon but does anyone have any special stretches they do that you feel works?
    • Posted

I would certainly have it checked out by the doc. I understand about feeling housebound.

I went out today with a friend for our usual shopping and lunch. Then I actually did a few errands on the way home.

it felt normal!! 

Good luck, let us know what u find out about the tender spot. One stretch is to put foot on a step in front of you and then extend it and reach over with body. Hard to explain.

• Posted

RethaT, you should check with your surgeon but it sounds like you might have developed bursitis. I had a bilateral TKR in October and have the same pain in the lower inside of my one knee. Mine was caused my overzealous PT staff. My surgeon's support staff (it was Christmas week and all surgeons were off) diagnosed bursitis from overworking the knee. I was told to wear a neoprene brace for compression, take anti-inflammatories, and to elevate, ice, then bring to room temperature and then to apply heat. And stay off of it as much as possible. It got better but now every time I try to work out, it comes back. I'm in Florida for the winter and will be asking others for advice on how to get rid of this continuing bursitis since I won't see my surgeon for at least another month.
  • Posted

Remember knee replacement they take the top of your lower leg of stick in the lower implant. Then take part of the upper knee. Do the same. That is why the long incision. They move your tendons, nerves muscles, ligaments everything to get to your knee. So you might be irritating one of the things trying to heal or restart. That is why it is numb in areas where you touch your knee. The nerve endings have to restart.

tell the therapist, they will probably know what it is and tell you what to ease up on until it heals more. Or they will say don't worry it is normal. 

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for the responses.  I really appreciate your input!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.