Pain on standing

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 7 weeks post tkr and after a slow start things are going steady, my main problem is an awful dull ache if I  stand for  more than about 20 mins (for example to cook) It is bad enough to need pain killers and very similar to the rotten ache I wake with in the night, but where as the awful night ache is releived ( a bit) by walking about this is the opposite,,  I am doing everything the physio advises but cannot seem to get past this,  this is really getting me down as before surgery standing didnt cause pain, I feel as though I have gained a problem. Any ideas anyone?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I also found standing very difficult. . not only the ache in the leg, but also in my back  I think mine was almost certainly due to the fact that I had not achieved a 0 extension . . Since I've managed to straighten the leg, it's a lot better.  Unfortunately, so much work in the house needs you to stand . . washing up, peeling potatoes. . I did even take to sitting down for some of itI   Hope it soon improves for you . . 

• Posted

Although I have struggled with the bend , my straightening is fine !  I will have to take your advice and sit a bit more,  in the last hour I have developd hip pain (new!) I am hoping this is refered pain, makes you wonder what the beast that is tkr will throw up next,take care
  • Posted

I know this wont help the cause of the pain, but may help you to not having to stand as long - would a perching stool or a breakfast bar stool help, so you can sit a little to do some of the jobs?
    • Posted

yes I am sure it would I think I will have to be a bit kinder to myself !
    • Posted

I joked a short while ago that so long as I didn't stand too long or walk too much, my tkr leg was brilliant! But everyone says it takes time to get where we all want to be so am taking the longer term perspective and resting with a bit of sitting here and there in between standing/walking. Try not to worry the law of averages usually delivers better outcomes overall!
    • Posted

I guess I expect too  much, just want to get on with life after all the pain and angst, thanks for your input
  • Posted

u need to build up your leg muscles and stretch. Then, over time, u will have less aches, stiffness, and can stand for longer periods. Seven week so nothing in this deal. Look forward to 12 was. I am 13 weeks biltaera and can play golf; however, when I finish, my legs R a bit stiff. However, if I work out or sit at my desk, they get stiff anyway. It is about time and excercise. By 12 weeks, u will be way better than 7.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.