Pain on swallowing despite taking PPI?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have GERD and esophagitis and started Pariet for 11 days which I didn't tolerate. Then I changed to 40 Nexium, dropped down to 20 as I thought I was having side effects but have reinstated back to 40 and am persisting on this dose.

However I have pain with swallowing which isn't going away. No food or drink is getting stuck. This is concerning me. Have I developed a stricture, narrowing? Worsening of the inflammation? At my wits end.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Just wanted to clarify that food and drink is fine, nothing is getting stuck it's just a discomfort when swallowing. Any feedback would be great smile
  • Posted

Pariet (rabeprazole) and Nexium (esomeprazole) are as effective as each other when taken in comparative doses but some patients may tolertae one more than the other. Side effects of the drugs themselves are actually quite rare. The main problem is induced hypochlorhydria if taking too high a dose for too long and 11 days even at 40mg is too short to make that sort of difference.

They are excellent drugs to reduce production of stomach acid but they are not magic. Other problems surrounding acid reflux are not necessarily cured by just popping a PPI.

The pain swallowing can be due to so many things. It's unlikely to be a stricture or you food would not be passing down your oesophagus properly.

You should have an endoscopy to see what th eproblem is. It may be scar tissue that's built up from oesophagitis.

• Posted

Hi Barrett's,

Thanks for the msg. I had an endoscopy about 7 weeks ago. The pain swallowing seemed like it improving for about 2 or 3 weeks but last week it returned and it seems worse than what it was at the start. Of course I'm concerned that the esophagitis has worsened or like you said developed scar tissue. I changed ppi's and doses during the 7 weeks so I'm hoping as well that hasn't a detrimental effect on my condition. Going to see my Dr next week. I'm thinking the worst at this stage.

• Posted

The endoscopy showed minor reflux damage or grade a. At the time though it felt horrendous. Can it possibly progress to a higher grade in just under 2 months?

Ricardo - thanks for the thorough information.

• Posted

If you have been taking PPIs and not done anything that could exacerbate it, eg taking NSAIDs, the oesophagitis probably hasn't deteriorated. It can take a few weeks to heal, though.

And I do remember myself 20 years(?) ago, having such horrible heartburn, like a flame thrower down my throat - but it gradually went away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.