Pain on the outer knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

12 weeks post TKR the pain I'm getting on the outside of my knee is horrendous this is also putting pressure on my other knee when I'm walking. Has anyone else suffered this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Billy

I am 13 weeks post tkr today and experiencing exactly the same symptoms I do hope someone replies

• Posted

Using a clock face as a gauge, where is the pain? And the knee cap as the face of the clock.
    • Posted

Hi

I would say 10 o'clock I look forward to hearing back from you as it has been pretty awful the last couple of days

• Posted

Im not 100% but here are a few ideas...

1. you're walking hard - plunk plunk plunk instead of soft steps like sneaking up on someone and this increases general pain in knees and translates to OTHER knee as you favor you tkr

2. You're bursa is inflamed. If the pain isnt bad when you first get up and gets worse as day goes, soft tissue inflamnation. Take anti-inflammatory meds; ibuprofen,/advil, Naprosyn but eat a cracker withor better yet, yogurt to reduce gut stomache aches

3. Three different muscles converge in that area. The tendon head of the gastrocnemious (yes,calf muscle), the biceps femoris (big outer leg muscle) and the iliotibial band(fascia that wraps the muscles in like plastic wrap) . We have stronger outer muscles and use the more example you can go up n down stairs SIDEWAYS but not headon ...sooo these insertion points can be REALLY sore and need stretching. You can massage them too. All that tightness can cause the kneecap to maltrack too which can increase pain.

Suggestion is light to moderate stretching can try putting foot on stair and lean in hold 10sec if u can..and repeat 3x.

Drape leg over bed with all of your body flat and butt cheek of leg your stretching on bed- this stretches your quads (and hips and hip flexors!)very well and passively so your not crying!

Massage open palm in circles i dont use lotion but do if u want. See if the heat generated from the massage helps loosen the area. THEN DO THE STRETCHES listed above.

If you get pain at outer knee 5pm thats another set of muscles....

Good luck! Let me know if it helps! Im 27 weeks out bilateral pkrs..

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice I'll let you know how I get on

• Posted

I

UPDATED

Im not 100% but here are a few ideas...

1. you're walking hard - plunk plunk plunk instead of soft steps like sneaking up on someone and this increases general pain in knees and translates to OTHER knee as you favor you tkr

2. You're bursa is inflamed. If the pain isnt bad when you first get up and gets worse as day goes, soft tissue inflamnation. Take anti-inflammatory meds; ibuprofen/advil, Naprosyn but eat a cracker with or better yet, yogurt to reduce gut stomach aches

3. Three different muscles converge in that area. The tendon head of the gastrocnemious (yes,calf muscle), the biceps femoris (big outer leg muscle) and the iliotibial band(fascia that wraps the muscles in like plastic wrap) . We have stronger outer muscles and use them more: example, you can go up n down stairs SIDEWAYS but not head on ...sooo these insertion points can be REALLY sore and need stretching. You can massage them too. All that tightness can cause the kneecap to maltrack too which can increase pain.

Suggestion is light to moderate stretching can try putting foot on (2nd)stair w toes straight and other leg/foot on floor and lean in hold 10sec if u can..and repeat 3x.this to will stretch hip flexors.

Drape leg over bed with all of your body flat and butt cheek of leg your stretching on bed- this stretches your quads (and hips and hip flexors!)very well and passively so your not crying!

Massage open palm in circles i dont use lotion but do if u want. See if the heat generated from the massage helps loosen the area. THEN DO THE STRETCHES listed above.

Hip flexors get very tight cuz we lean forward all the time and then we get back pains.

If you get pain at outer knee 5pm thats another set of muscles....

Good luck! Let me know if it helps! Im 27 weeks out bilateral pkrs..

• Posted

I am 12 weeks post-surgery of right TKR.  I've had pain in the under and around the right side of my knee.  It hurts to get up or to put any pressure on it.  I ice it, take Aleve and use Blue Emu lotion.  I didn't know if my pain was related to weather fronts but have been told rainy weather does affect others.  I'm careful as I walk but gee whiz it's so hard to be patient. 

• Posted

Hi Billy, I am 18 weeks post op and things are getting much better. My pain has always been on the outer side if my knee. It always felt like the metal of implant rubbing against the knee. My physio had me doing leg lifts and moving the leg slightly to the right while extended to stretch ham strings. Took a long time but eventually got better. Still to this day, if I have pain it is always on the outer side of the knee. Hang in there this seems to be a common complaint. This is certainly a long recovery but just know things will get better. Hope I eased your mind a little bit. Hope you feel better soon! Dolores😀👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.