Pain on the outside of leg, below knee

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have an agonizing sharp pain on the outside of my left leg, about 3" below the centre of the knee. It started hurting while jogging about 7 months ago, I R.I.C.E'd and then rested for about 6 weeks but the pain continued. I've had cortisone injections, anti inflammatories and pain killers but nothing has seemed to help. I'm under an orthopedic consultant but they are scratching their heads. My x rays and ultrascan are both clear and I'm worried they'll discharge me without ever getting to the root of the problem.

Any idea's??????

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You have jumpers knee. I have the same condition and so did Rafael Nadal. This injury is a nuisance and what I am finding is the best remedy is eccentric 45 degree leg squats.

Find something that you can get your foot on so that it is at a 45 degree angle. Then do one legged squats on your affected leg. Start out with just 20 squats and then move up to doing 3 sets of 20 repetitions. It will take time to get over but just don't aggravate it by running too soon.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am not sure that after a year, you will see this but I am trying to understand the exercise. Are you putting the affected leg on a 45 degree angle, like a step, or the other one? I am so frustrated. I had tendonitis in my foot and havn't run for 6 months. Last week, since my foot was feeling fine, I tried running for just 3 times of 10 seconds each and the next day I had the pain in my leg again. It had not hurt for about 4 months.
  • Posted

Hi, did u have any luck with this ?

I have same problem on right. Pain is below knee on the side and only comes when running. I have to stop, feels dry and almost creaky . Not agonising but can't run.

Can do other stuff in gym, it's just running.

Docs have no idea. Nothing coming up on scans . They just said they don't know !

• Posted

Hi, got somewhere with it, after a fashion.

Consultant had no answers so I did some digging on biometrics and it suggested a hip strength weakness.

So I bought a rubber therapy band and started working forwards, backwards, inside & out and after a couple of months there has been a massive improvement.

Saw consultant who then said "oh, that must have been it all along"

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

I'm not up on Dr ,I try to work on issues myself. I fell on right knee any times,cartilage gone ,but pain on right side. IT band it says, I have to stretch

• Posted

Not sure of what I wrote in last comment, we have to find what happened to knee at first start, then go from there. Those past feelings are hanging on,they seem real but real only to innerchild, if you as adult go look you will see & understand, the inner hild to young to understand ,your perception will be difrent, you'll have difrent view. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.