Pain on the side of left knee, thigh and calf. possible sciatica or Lateral Meniscus Tear?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there I have had problems with my knees for years. But recently my left leg is being a real pain!! i have googled the symptoms but keep getting different results.. so thought i'd go down my favourite route: "THE FORUMS" :O)

when I sit down the pain in my left leg is by the back of the knee on the left side; then back of the hamstring hurts and also i get pain by the top of my calf, in the same spot every day.

i cant sit with my leg crossed over (as it is excrutiating pain) i have to keep standing, but when i go everytime my left knee cracks. sad

I was hospitalised with my right knee a few years ago, but that doesn't seem to hurt anymore- just my left leg now.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Is the pain actually knee pain or could it be coming from your back. Try laying flat on your back, slowly bend your knees upward as far as you can without pain. Then, keeping your back flat slowly rotate your lose half to the left , hold then back I the right and hold (5 coun). Continue to do this 10 times and see if you feel the lower back loosening. Doing this a couple of times a day for 3 or 4 days will let you know if its back muscle tightening that's causing leg pain. If it isnt, you will probably need to see an orthopod to see I'd you have some damage. Often times a physical therapist can. Straighten out painful situations that Don't call for surgery
    • Posted

Thank you,sir. I will try that tomorrow. the thing is I fell off a 6ft fence when i was about 12/13 and ended up in a neck brace..ive always thought i had back problems but i was only ever put in a neck brace and off i went home.

when i walk my knees are sore, and ive had paranoia that my knees and legs bend funny .. maybe i will try your back exercises tomorrow then go from there.x

• Posted

Hi , I have to say your symptoms do sound like a tear , the best advice to you is to please see your GP and ask to have a scan to prove one way or the other , lets hope you get the answers you seek and your pain becomes less ...good luck x
    • Posted

Never feel like they are better, more important or busier than you are. Our nephew is a well known infectious disease Dr in the US. In his opinion most people wait far to long to get medical help because they don't want to be a bother or are afraid of the diagnosis. All of us on here are advocates of making our problems theirs as soon as possible. Good luck. Its really tough having to feel like you are fighting the battle by yourself.
    • Posted

I went through a period of tightness and unusual leg/knee pain. My physical therapist had do the simple rocking movement to loosen up the proper muscles and such. Main thing....don't push so hard you hurt yourself. Its gentle loosening that's the effective part not pushing into the pain level.
    • Posted

ok thanks. i will lay down lift my legs up.. then..? as if i was going to do a sit up..what do i do with my legs then?
    • Posted

Lay on your back with head on a pillow . feet flat on the bed...slowly slidevyour feed back toword your bottom pushing your knees upwards. You should now be in a position where your legs are together forming a V. Then gently rotate the knees to the sides keeping your back and read as flat on the bed as possible. Do everything slow and gentle
  • Posted

If the back exercises don't work I would definitely go to get X-rays. Good luck
    • Posted

will try the exercises but dont know if i'd do them properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.