pain on the side of your knee .

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi , ive been doing quite well and im 12 weeks on knee no 2 , all seems to be doing great , apart from the last 2 weeks ,i seem to have a sharp pain on the out side of my 2nd knee , when i stand ,or wall a few steps from standing ,now i have just got to the stage where i can roll over in bed  and to top of  when i turn over in the night ,the pain is really bad , any one else know what im talking about , didnt have this with the first knee ,

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I will be 14 weeks next Tuesday and for at least the past few weeks I have been noticing pain on the surgical side of my knee, especially at night. Sometimes sharp pain but mostly just hurts or aches and very hard to get comfortable. I take ibuprofen before bed, but it doesn't do much.

There are days when I almost feel like I never had anything done, as I feel so good, then something new pops up!

Aside from the pain on side of knee, my main complaints now are extreme fatigue towards late afternoon and not feeling stable on my feet. Kind of wobbly at times. Thought by now I'd be past all these things!

Best to you Debbie - Betty

• Posted

thanks betty ,do you feel that your knee bangs about when you walk or worse whrn you change possitions in the night ? i saw the gp last week and hes asking the surgeon to see me again with this pain its very sharp and my knee gives way , both my knees have this dead but achie pain on the out sides which some times tingle this was what i thought was the nerves knitting back  my first knee feels strange to touch and tingles this is the nerves growing back ,my left knee how ever has been easier apart from this pain , but at least you have the same and im not on my own , and i know about the afternoons sleep time i call it till next week when i go back to work ,think i may have to get a bed at work lol . thanks again x
    • Posted

Hi Betty you are describing exactly what I am experiencing . I am getting the night problems small sharp pains on the side of the knee and extreme heat and aching. Some of my days I am now feeling. Back to normal, but on Saturday night I went out with my family for a pre wedding meal, my granddaughter gets married next Sat. I have been for my usual walk had a long soak and felt good. I got into my car for the short drive to my sons house, it was dark and I stood on my step for five minutes as though my leg had turned to stone. Eventually I had to call him to pick me up, I was very trembly and shaky and very unstable on my feet. I burst into tears every time anyone spoke to me. Cannot understand what's going on . I. Am praying I will be ok for the wedding. I will be staying at the hotel on both Friday night and Saturday night, so that will give me resting time. 
    • Posted

Aww Tucks, I'm sorry for your experience. I know your fears about the upcoming wedding and worried about getting through it OK. You are about 4 weeks behind me, and I still do not feel I'm ready for big social events yet. 

This may sound silly, but when you went out the other night and felt unstable on your feet, were you wearing shoes that you may not have been used to wearing? I've been wearing ( what you call trainers, I believe, but we call them tennis or walking shoes) They have good support and I've been wearing them every day, except the other day I went to lunch with friends and I wore flat sandals, and I felt like I was walking on ice! I felt so embarrassed, as I was so unsteady on my feet. 

I don't know, but maybe something like that, a simple change in shoes can make us feel a little unsteady.  Regardless of the shoes though, I still get my wobbly moments and it's very upsetting. At the wedding I'm sure you will be sitting most of the time, so I'm sure you will get through it fine. Congratulations on your granddaughters wedding, sweet Tucks smile you will do great and it will be a joyous event. Betty

• Posted

Hi there Betty thank you for your kind words. I was wearing my ankle boots on Saturday . I wear these each time I go outdoors so don't think that was the prob, I wear slippers indoors. This pain on the inside of my knee persists and I can't get much sleep with it.I haven't had a wobble since Sat, my grandson came round yesterday which was lovely. He is a personal trainer as well as being an actor, he thinks I am doing well and was telling me about the intricacys of the knee parts which have to knit back together. I think the unsteadiness we feel is confidence sapping. Betty my freind we will get there eventually. I am so looking forward to the wedding I love my grandchildren so much and Rachael is such a beautiful girl, I don't want to give her any anxiety. Your words are so warm and comforting, I will be raising my glass to you on Saturday , take care love from tucks x
    • Posted

Hi Tucks,

I think you are absolutely right when you say our unsteadiness comes from our confidance sapping! I am still having difficulty going downstairs one foot at a time and I know much of it is fear and lack of confidance. I'm sure it's why I feel unsteady. 

How do we get our confidance back? No one gave me exercises for that!

Your grandson, as a personal trainer, is right about the knee parts knitting themselves back together. Just as Britta said, as all the nerve endings have been cut, which would explain all our various aches & pains that keep popping up.

It sounds like you have a lovely family with grandchildren who love their grandma very much too smile  

Keep up your progress Tucks, Betty, 14 weeks today 

• Posted

Hi Tucks,

I think you are absolutely right when you say our unsteadiness comes from our confidance sapping! I am still having difficulty going downstairs one foot at a time and I know much of it is fear and lack of confidance. I'm sure it's why I feel unsteady. 

Your grandson, as a personal trainer, is right about the knee parts knitting themselves back together. Just as Britta said, as all the nerve endings have been cut, which would explain all our various aches & pains that keep popping up.

It sounds like you have a lovely family with grandchildren who love their grandma very much too smile  

• Posted

Hi Tucks,

• Posted

Thank you Betty your words are posotive and comforting from tucks xx
  • Posted

hi debbie ... i am experiencing the same! started about a week ago, not constant, kind of comes and goes.  but it all became clear when i saw my surgeon this week and he explained that there are scars i cannot see under the skin going around the knee cap.  my pain is on the inside of my knee, the outside is completely numb as yet.  again, my surgeon explained that the nerves run from the inside the knee, over the knee towards the outside.  during the operation, these nerves get cut and so what you may be feelng is the nerves connecting again.

i agree with betty, some days i feel i could conquer the world, others (like today) i feel sick to my stomach and just want to stay iin bed.  today i wondered yet again, when will all this end?  nearly 7 weeks of feeling like an invalid and more to come with my manual bend.  definitely a test of my patience.

if you are really, really worried and feel you may have hurt your knee in any way, then def check with your surgeon.  but honestly, i think it is one of these things that will pass with time.  one of the many things!

• Posted

thanks britta , my gp is asking for the surgeon to see me again , wouldny be worried apart from rhe fact that i have had 2 infections in this knee and yhe fact that it didnt happen with the other knee , but i do think your right one of many many things , also i was on morphine plus other stuff and i came of them just after the pain started , just a sharp pain that does not last long , but it does make me go off my legs , thanks 
    • Posted

good luck, debbie! keeping my fingers crossed for you that the surgeon tells you it is all "normal". good for you that you could stomach morphine. it made me sooo incredibly sick, i couldn't take anything so strong. infections?? oh no, that's clearly not good and is certainly cause for worry.

in switzerland you get to go to rehab when you have had your knee done. i met a lady there who had both her knees done at the same time. i know, makes you want to heave, right? she was incredibly determined but one of her knees came out fab, no issues whatsoever, and the other she was struggling to bend and was very painful. this just to illustrate that every knee - even your own! - reacts differently. this is what i am praying for in any case as i will need my left knee done too in the not so distant future!

good luck!

• Posted

Hi Britta I am 101/2 weeks and stil getting the feelings you describe. I have been walking2/3 mile a week for about 10days. But to day the thought of going out makes me feel sickly. Just want to back to bed. I wonder Britta if any of us will ever feel right again. Neve ever thought it would as bad as this. Take care from tucks x
  • Posted

I've just posted on another discussion about a new pain on the inside of my knee and also some pain under the knee cap. It seems as if we're to expect these as everything heals?? It's never ending isn't it? Jen (14 weeks post op) 
    • Posted

thanks jen ,you made my day , sounds like its normal, never would have thought all this would be going on , i knew that were all different and heal  differently , but just as you get on your feet some thing else happens , having said that my first knee is 22 weeks in front and that is fine as long as i dont turn over in bed to quick or twist , you know you just get over the trauma of the op and you have to get use to this thing banging about , i told my gp that i was going to start a band ,he laughed and offered to join too , buy neither of us were offering to sing , good job hes a gp with a sence of humour , and im going back to work n monday cant waitr . x
    • Posted

You're sounding very positive, Debbie. Well done and good luck at work 😊 

Jen x

• Posted

Hi Jen this is exactly the new pains I am experienceing, I'm 101/2weeks so perhaps this is the latter stage of healing , damn well hope so. Really had enough. But then again I am having some real good days. Take care tucks x
    • Posted

Good for you deb getting back to work. By the way tell your GP I do a mean rendering of patsy clines Crazy if he is looking for a singer for your group lol.  All the best but don't get overdoing it at work softly softly for a while. Love from tucks
    • Posted

lol , sounds like a good tune for banging knees , as for work i cant wait ,but for taking it easy is not an option ,i work in a gramma school kitchen feeding 1700 ,people per day with a 7 ,30 am start but i will hide and rest if i need to , i have told my boss that if its too much i will go home  and shorten my hours , were lucky in a way i still have a job and we can have a break every 2 hours if needed , will let you know how it go s x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.