Pain on top of foot at base of fused toe after 7 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a bunionectomy and second toe straightened and fused back in October. For the last couple of months, I've experienced pain on top of the foot just below the second toe where the tendons were released.This seemed to start after I'd tried a very gentle slow jog which, at 4 months, I now realise was pushing it and not a good idea (just a few 10 - 20 second slow bursts, honestly). I saw physio after a few weeks of pain and was told that, if it persisted after 6-8 weeks, I'd need to be referred back to the consultant and I'm now waiting for an appointment.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem.

I massage the area frequently which doesn't really bring any noticeable relief. It feels quite hard, bumpy and sore to massage but physio said it seemed fine to them and that massaging would help. The pain is generally worst first thing in the morning and later in the day and there are times when I wake in the night and resort to Ibuprofen gel or paracetamol which can help reduce the discomfort. Clenching my toes is particularly painful. The pain is mostly st the base of the fused toe but also into some of the other toes. My main exercise is walking the dog, usually one 20 to 30 minute walk and one 50 minute to 1hour 15 minute walk a day.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of pain at this stage of their recovery?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am 18 weeks post op and most of my pain is where the tendon release was.  My foot is still fairly solid there and stiff achy with shooting pains in the late evening when I have been on it a lot.  My physio is helping and I am massaging it a lot.  One physio has advised I scrunch a large towel  up on the floor using toes a couple of times a day and that seems to ease it too after a painful start.

your symptoms sound like mine

hope it eases soon

• Posted

Thank you - and same for yours, too! I've made a point of keeping on with the exercises recommended by physio. I think it's just something which can take a long, long time to go and my early jogging didn't exactly help. Hopefully the consultant will just give that reassurance.
    • Posted

And probably tell me off!
  • Posted

Hi, did your pain ever go away ? I'm 6 months post op and I'm experiencing the same pain
    • Posted

Hi Holly. This is timely! I'm just a week into recovery from surgery on the other foot (bunionectomy and fusion of second toe) and had surgery on that troublesome foot at the same time. No, the pain didn't get better, worse if anything so I eventually saw the consultant who said that it was bone growth which sometimes happens. I could have had it sorted out (just shaving the bone) as minor surgery but we both decided it made sense to have it done at the same time as the next bunion. He said that most people find it releases the foot more or less straight away and yes, that's my experience. It's nothing compared to bunion surgery and, although my foot is bandaged up and in a heel-walking shoe, I can tell it's sooo much more mobile.

How about you?

• Posted

Oops, you had already written that you're experiencing the same pain. Have you beenback to your consultant? I hope it's something that is easily fixable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.