Pain on weight bearing 10 weeks after hip fracture repair

Posted , 20 users are following.

I had a femoral neck fracture 10 weeks ago and a dynamic hip screw repair.  I am still needing two crutches to walk and cannot full-weight-bear on the affected leg without considerable pain.  I wasn't expecting this long. Can anyone comment please?

5 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know this is a old post. I had a femoral neck fracture from a fall in January, 2017, and I've had 2 surgery's on my hip and still no relief. They mentioned Piriformis Syndrome due to my fracture. They're soon going to do a cortisone shot to see if that help's. I also have EDS, which affects my collagen in my bone and osteoporosis. Im only 46-year-old. Hope you're doing well.

• Posted

Hi Trina,

As I too have EDS (classic) and broke my hip over Christmas with a resulting repair I just had to say hello and entire how you are doing now.

I have started some walking exercise at the pool and am finding an increase in discomfort which hopefully is down to muscle use and not deterioration of the femur head - it's a bit worrying the thought of being back to square one if it fails. Hopefully though it's just muscles complaining and I may try cold packs as suggested earlier in this thread.

Look forward to comparing experiences if that appeals but don't worry if not - life's busy I know, regardless all the best for a speedy recovery. Lois

• Posted

Hi I have had exactly the same as you its now 21 weeks for me I'm am still in loads of pain can't walk far and use one walking stick , I went back to see surgeon two weeks ago and I have one leg longer than the other,so I need another operation to build the bone up remove the screws and put a new head on my hip , but I have to wait as the surgeon said it has to all heal before I can have another operation , he said it takes about a year to heal but I'm back to see him in August , it will be 9 months then since I fell on holiday in lanzarote which is where I had my surgery.

• Posted

Sorry just realized its a old post but would be interested to know how you are now .
    • Posted

Hi Helen,

I'm up to 14 months since the surgery now, with nothing remarkable to report.  I'm still on one crutch, but pretty mobile - as much as my neuropathic pain syndrome allows.  The crutch is a pain, especially at places like cafes, where there is never anywhere to conveniently stow it.  I have a 4-footed walking stick but I'm not at that stage yet - I don't feel confident without the extra support a crutch gives you (a stick doesn't give you any side to side righting force whereas a crutch does because you can apply a righting force via your forearm).

I have a 20mm difference in leg length and have a built-up shoe. At this stage of my life (63), I don't think I'll bother with surgery to correct the length unless the repair fails and they have to go in again for a THR.

My focus now is on rehab, ditching the crutch and using the stick, and trying to get sufficient strength and function in the affected leg to keep me safe and hopefully prevent another fall.

If anyone had told me it would be like this, I wouldn't have fallen over....

Hope you progress some,

Best regards,

Ross

• Posted

Hi

I'm 65 in May , I will probably need another operation anyway as my fracture was so near the fermarol head I have been told it will probably die off , but it does it slowly and can take up to two years , I only have one stick I hated the crutches as well, I also wish I had never fallen , but can't go back lol so have to move forward , I wish you all the luck and hope you get rid of that crutch , take care .

• Posted

Hi all I'm glad I found this thread again, I too am still on both crutches at the moment but doing physio and hydro, I can now manage on one crutch at the physio between bars but I agree with u RR its not easy to manage on sticks yet as they wobble and I cannot fully weight bear still.

I'm told its muscular pain but I suppose I still can't get my head round it, if its muscular surely I could walk through it, but I'm perceivering and hopefully will eventually walk unaided, or do you think I'm too optimistic, I hope there's better news from you

• Posted

Alexandria, if the injury to your muscle is serious enough, then you may not be able to walk on it. I had an ankle sprain long ago, and I absolutely could not walk unaided. After I fell and hurt it, I had to crawl back to my apartment. 

Also, recently after my THR, I was unable to walk unaided without pain and a severe limp, even after 6 months. It turned out two of my gluteal tendons were torn badly enough that they could not heal on their own, and I had to have surgery to repair them, which didn't happen until 15 months after the THR. I needed walking aids that whole time. I used a rollator walker inside and a crutch when outside. I could not manage a cane or trekking poles at all. 

Hope you heal soon!

• Posted

Hi Alexandria et al,

Things have changed for me a bit.  Around a month ago - 18-months after my femoral neck repair - it started to go pear-shaped.  I was in a fair bit of pain and an X-ray showed that the bone union was a non-union, so to speak, so I was in hospital within a week for a THR.  As a bonus, I got to keep the scrap bits they took out ...great for dinner parties.

Thankfully (unlike the repair) I'm able to weight-bear as much as I can tolerate so I'm hoping rehab will be a bit faster.  Another bonus is he was able to give me back most of the 22mm shortening in my leg, so I can ditch the built-up shoe.  My only hiccup so far is an apparent allergy to Pradaxa (Dabigatran) - I got widespread itching and measles-like spots.  Switched to Aspirin and that fixed it.

I'm finally a believer about the pain being from muscles.  The other thing I didn't appreciate is how much pain can "refer" itself to other parts of the body.  Most of my pain manifests itself on my kneecap.

So I'm back on 2 crutches again, but I'm more confident that I'll be able to progress to one crutch sooner than before.

Anyway, please keep us all posted with your progress, and may there be lots of it.

Best regards,

R

• Posted

Hi all

I'm so pleased I found this thread. Its almost 22 weeks since my fall in my kitchen and broke my neck of femur. Intrascapular fracture and had a dhs fitted. I also bust my left wrist colles fracture just for good measure and it doesn't look like that will ever be 100% again as pysio seems to think I've gone as far with the exercises that I can on it. There was no physio done on it for 12 weeks anyway as this the was the length of time I was none weight bearing spending almost 10 weeks of that stuck upstairs at home. Took a 4 man ambulance crew to get me down on the 2nd June and I was given a further 6 weeks. They gave me ones to do but I think i should have attended physio weekly. I Still have a lot of stiffness and odd pains and its just not right sadly.

I'm walking with a stick at present and physio are saying I'm doing well but im walking lopsided and can't seem to walk straight as I seem not to have any strength in my repaired leg & and when I sit,and draw my knees up together, there's clearly a difference in leg length. This is really troubling me as I also find it harder to stand straight because of my back problem.

My main bugbear though at the moment is the muscle pain in my legs. Sometimes it's both of them but then this morning it's excruciating in the repaired leg. Because I have the problem with my back and degeneration of my spine when I do too much or like one of the physio exercises made my back flare up and made my walking worse... I'll keep checking back as i feel I'm not making progress but then see that I'm not alone. Jeany. x

• Posted

Have you been seen by orthotics, they have been great and back tomoz to get another shoe lift, I can't do the stick as I am still unable to weight bear and yes your pain will move around and your putting strain elsewhere

• Posted

Hi all, thank you so much for the replies, I'm now heading to 15 months on the 26th, things have not really changed as much as I would like because I'm still not walking without crutches and when I did at physio it knocked me right back to 2, I'm still not sure what's causing it, its something that when I put my foot to the floor the only way I can describe it is that the inner upper thigh spasms and lifts the knee up and so foot comes off the floor which would knock me off my feet if I didn't have crutches or walker.

I can weight bear about 60% before it does that, MRI shows unhealed fracture but its totally impacted so stable and no AVN or arthritis, it did however show osseous whatever that is, supposedly bruising of the bone.

Physio twice a week and hydro twice and stationary bike daily at home, range of motion still same as in good so I'm desperate for answers, really don't want surgery as I also suffer with tomophobia so I just feel I carry on on crutches, quite quick now LOL

• Posted

Just a note of thanks. I am almost 6 weeks post hip repair of a femur neck break. I never imagined so much pain. I am at fairly high risk for still needing a THR due to location and type of break. I got talked into trying to save my bone rather than an immediate THR due to my age and level of activity pre-injury. I could not have imagined how hard or painful recovery would be.

This thread is so helpful as I thought THR was so much easier in recovery based on the surgeons but it clearly is not true based on this thread. This renews my resolve to try to save my hip as I have gone through such extreme pain already and the THR route that I may next have to take done not sound like a walk in the park like the doctors describe.

Thanks for helping me to have realistic expectations....a 3 month recovery seems very unrealistic. A warm hug to every one else out there experiencing pain with recovery from hip surgery.

• Posted

Hi cyclist 17

I think every individual is different with their recovery but personally I would definitely say 3 months is very optimistic.

I'm now 25 weeks post dhs surgery and am back at the trauma clinic this coming Monday instead of the arranged January appointment because the physio doesn't like the look of me. I've still got pain. My muscles are still awful and to be truthful I'm feeling very fed up with this recovery lark 😥😥😥😥. xxx

• Posted

Hi jeany would be good to see what advice your given and any suggestions they come up with, we are all different I know but its great to be able to compare notes, good luck
    • Posted

Jeany64, Really sorry to hear of your experience and your pain. Wishing you relief.

At least my eyes are open that recovery may not happen as described in rehab and the odd pains are shared by others in recovery.

Also, does anyone have advice on sleeping positions? I used to sleep on my side but have been flat on my back. I know sleep positions are very personal in terms of comfort, but I try pillows under leg, propping up my head more, etc. I am wondering if there are any tricks like certain foam cushions.

Also any advice on things to do promote healing? A friend, who does not have a fractured hip, recommend l lysine, l proline and vitamin C combined to promote collagen. Rehab doc suggested high protein diet.

I am considering prolonging my work from home status as I do not want to do anything that will jeopardize my healing process at this stage. I am not sure at what point I will be fine with being out and about. Mostly I just want to protect the healing process as my screw has already moved a bit.

• Posted

Hi Cyclist17 

I bought this pillow...& by God it's lush. From Dunelm,the fogarty one at £12.00. But I'm not sure if you are in the U.K.?

I use it daily now still , to prop under my legs on the sofa for comfort when I need it, & in bed,& I also place it between my legs for comfort..on my side when my muscles are killing.

I was i think about the 20 week stage before I could turn on to my un operated side to sleep which was the position & always first got in bed then I'd turn 180 degrees on to my other side as I was drifting off. 

This unfortunately is the operated side & I cannot now lay on that side for more than a minute or so , so end up flat on my back. It's not the discomfort from the scar or from the dynamic hip screw but from the muscles that I avoid that side.rolleyes

I also would wholeheartedly recomend Bio Oil. applied twice daily to the scar as in all honesty it's really worked to fade it. 

You'll know when you want to go out more, but little steps. 

You'll also know when you do to much because your body will certainly let you know about it the next day.

Keep posting your progress. wink

• Posted

Try sleeping on good side with pillow between knees to help prop bad hip to less of an angle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.