Pain only lasts minutes

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone. I had a consultation with my doctor (all online - I filled out a form and they responded by email) about chest pain I've had for years. The doctor suggested it could be costochondritis - which I'd never heard of.

Looking it up online, I think it's more likely to be Tietze's syndrome because :

• I'm 33 and the symptoms have recurred since I was young
  • I used to have chronic sinusitis, which I see can be a cause of Tietze

However, when I get the pain it's very brief. I used to get it infrequently (maybe a few times a year) and it would last a few minutes. It's a sharp cramping pain under my left breast that gets worse when I breathe in.

For the last few months I've been getting it more frequently - maybe weekly. And it lasts longer - last night it lasted about 20 minutes.

From what I've read about costo and Tietze, the pain usually lasts a lot longer - weeks or months. Could I still have one of these conditions?

Additionally, I occasionally feel like my ribs directly under my boobs are swollen and tender. I didn't previously connect this to the pain, and they don't happen at the same time. Now reading about these conditions, I wonder if they're connected?

Thank you for any advice or experiences you can share.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.